What's new

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

No intention in rushing but I am curious:001_rolle Have you had any time (and willingness of course) of including excel within your magic?

@Canadian Mountain Man

Kal:

I can't seem to find the current sheets. I've looked at the original location on Google Drive, and that only has the shave hardware directory. The bit.do pulls up a jpg with instructions to look at a "tiny.ss" address (which I assume was supposed to be tiny.cc) but the tiny.cc address (tiny.cc/BOSC) does not resolve. [Edited to add - the correct address should be tiny.cc/bosc - it's case-sensitive]

tiny.cc/bosc resolves to the same Google Drive location. Is there something I'm missing?

No intention in rushing but I am curious:001_rolle Have you had any time (and willingness of course) of including excel within your magic?
Evening,

The MS Excel template is online but has a number of differences to the Google Sheets version, most significant being the lack of a "dashboard" with the Excel version.

As much as I'd like to spend more time on this reality is with it being summer my spare time is being spent either on the motorbike with the throttle in my hand or on the deck with a cool beverage in my hand.

@Canadian Mountain Man

Kal:

I can't seem to find the current sheets. I've looked at the original location on Google Drive, and that only has the shave hardware directory. The bit.do pulls up a jpg with instructions to look at a "tiny.ss" address (which I assume was supposed to be tiny.cc) but the tiny.cc address (tiny.cc/BOSC) does not resolve. [Edited to add - the correct address should be tiny.cc/bosc - it's case-sensitive]

tiny.cc/bosc resolves to the same Google Drive location. Is there something I'm missing?
No you're not missing anything, I had posted in haste. bit.do/bosc and tiny.cc/bosc will both take you to the same shared google folder with the templates

Both versions have been updated to have the Log tab to include shaves from January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2022 (I'm assuming that someone will have come up with a better tool within the next five years).

Cheers all

So rather than working this morning, I spent some time putting a blade log together for Kal’s great set of spreadsheets.

I agree with the earlier posts that having to enter a bunch of information about your blade after every shave would be too much of a pain in the neck. I wanted an easy way to track blades since I downloaded the spreadsheets. So I’ve been thinking about how to incorporate the automatic serial number function that was described above and came up with the following modifications to the sheets:

I added two columns to the Log sheet to the right of the entry for the razor blade. As I’ll explain later, you will only have to enter additional information whenever you change a blade.

shavelog2.jpg

After modifying the Log sheet, I created a new sheet called “Blade Log”:

blade log expanded.jpg

First I copied the dates from the Log sheet and put them in along the left side of the sheet (Column A and B).

I then set up five columns for each razor blade. I’m going to explain Columns C through G, but the relative columns have been repeated for each blade.

Each cell in Column C compares the name of the blade entered for the corresponding date to see if it matches the name of the blade at the top of the page (here, “Polsilver Super Iridium” in Cell D2). If the name matches, a “Y” is returned, showing that this particular blade (the Polsilver) was used on the date.

If Column C is “Y’ then the following things happen:

· Column D builds the name of the exact blade (Blade Name + Serial Number) being used that day by combining the name of the blade and the current serial number in the row.
· Column E reports the current number of uses for the blade (i.e., as shown in Column G)
· Collumn F looks back at the Log sheet to see if the corresponding value for the blade in the “New?” column (i.e., Column M in the Log sheet) is Y. If it is, 1 is added to the value in the cell immediately above in Column F. If there is no Y in the “New?” column, the value in the cell immediately above in Column F is returned.
· Column G looks back at the Log sheet to see if the corresponding value for the blade in the “New?” column is Y. If it is, Column G returns 1, resetting the Use counter. If there is no Y in the “New?” column, 1 is added to the value in the cell immediately above in Column G, thus increasing the count.

If Column C is not “Y” then the following things happen:

· Column D and E remain blank.
· Column F returns the value in the cell immediately above in Column F (i.e., not advancing the serial number).
· Column G returns the value in the cell immediately above in Column G (i.e., not advancing the use number).

By hiding Columns F and G, you get a listing of the serialized blade used on the days where the blade brand is used and the number of uses for that blade.

blade log collapsed.jpg

Because each set of columns for a blade looks at the same information and only returns a “Y” where there is a match, there will only be one blade marked as in use for any particular day.

Column N on the Log sheet looks for the non-empty blade report for the day and then reports back the number of uses for that blade.

This way, whenever you log the use of one of your tracked blades, the number of times the blade has been used will be shown next to it without having to add any additional information or track each type of blade in use. If you change a blade and mark a Y in Column M, the number of uses will be reset to 1.

Finally, I’ve added some statistical information about the usage in each set of columns for a blade on the blade log. The number of individual blades used in the log is shown right below the blade and the total number of uses of those blades is shown right below. This will allow easy calculation of the average life for each type of blade.

I’m sure there are easier ways to track this info, but it should be pretty easy to use now that it’s set up. Usually, I only have to enter the name of a blade that I’m using. I only have to add one more piece of information whenever I change blades.

I’m happy to hear any suggestions, critiques, or hints to improve this function.

Thanks for the brain teaser.

A few questions for the enlightened B&B membership....

I'm playing around with the dashboard and have come up with two versions. One with a lot of information and a lite version. So:
-which do you prefer
-what would you like to see added
-any other suggestions

Full:
proxy.php

Real time view: bit.do/KalBOSC

Lite:
proxy.php

Real time view: bit.do/KalBOSC2

Thanks Kal, for all the effort on this whole project. I would really like to have the option to both versions - but if I had to chose, I would go with the full version.

Kal:

I have been using the tracking template and love it. While the full report gets my geek on, I think I like the lite version

Evening...

Just posted the latest update of the Google Sheets Daily Shave Log. A few significant changes to be aware of:

Blade tracking, part 1: Thanks to @bobmsp for his contribution to support the ability to track how often a blade is used. I've implemented it as follows:
proxy.php

Dashboards: Thanks for the input. There are two dashboards, one with a LOT of detail and a lite version (shown below).
proxy.php

Customizing color thresholds: There are a number of areas (score for the daily shave, the dashboard, etc.) where you'll notice that the colors for a particular value or product will change based on how you've rated it or the number of times its been used. In the Temperature Tables tab you can adjust the breakpoints that will trigger a change from Excellent, Good, Fair & Poor.

In the Temperature Tables tab you can also adjust the weighting that gets applied to the combined score for each day's shave.

Any table with a mossy green header is where you can make these adjustments.

The Temperature Tables tab is also where you select the start & end dates if you'd like to isolate a particular time period.
proxy.php

Blade tracking, part 2: If you want to use the worksheet to track your blade inventory when you update the My Inventory tab enter the quantity of blades you have on hand. Your realtime totals will be updated on the Dashboard tabs. If you get more blades update the value you originally entered (i.e. if you started with 50 of a particular blade and purchase an additional 100 update the quantity to 150) and likewise if you remove blades from your inventory not recorded in the Log tab (e.g. if you PIF some) remove that value from what you originally entered.
proxy.php

With the addition of the ability to track blade usage there's a fair bit of calculating going on in the background. As a result it does take a few seconds for the tables on the Log tab and Dashboard tabs to update.

I believe this version to be quite stable and corrected a few minor formula errors. That said, if you happen to experience any issues or would like to see something changed/added please let me know.

As before the template can be found at: Public - Google Drive

For Excel users, no plans to do any work on this over the summer so if anyone wants to pick up the torch feel free.

Cheers,

Kal

Looks great Kal! I’m going to try to migrate my data over to the new version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Canadian Mountain Man / Kal, thank you very much for this great tool. I played I bit with it and I love it.

There is only one thing that I`m not sure if I don't see it or maybe there is some trick with it. It's about post shave, I see that we can enter it but don't see that is anyhow connected with a shave, no score, no input. It is only in inventory and that is it. If I understand correctly its because its not directly connected with a shave and as it is there is no need to count it in shave?

Once again, thank you for making this great excel, and for including blade counter.

Have a good shave ;)

ps. and thanks @bobmsp for his counter solution ;)

One more question for Excel wizards, how to add head shaving into this tables? Every second or third day I`m shaving face+head and trick is that sometimes I`m using different razor/blade for head and face. Are there any proposals on how to incorporate head shaves/counter?

I`m still exploring what are the best razors for head shaving, for a face is a bit easier to recognise, and my goal is to use one razor for everything and make it simple.

Any ideas?

Thanks for helping and have a good shave ;)

@Canadian Mountain Man / Kal, thank you very much for this great tool. I played I bit with it and I love it.

There is only one thing that I`m not sure if I don't see it or maybe there is some trick with it. It's about post shave, I see that we can enter it but don't see that is anyhow connected with a shave, no score, no input. It is only in inventory and that is it. If I understand correctly its because its not directly connected with a shave and as it is there is no need to count it in shave?

Once again, thank you for making this great excel, and for including blade counter.

Have a good shave ;)

I'll let Kal answer for himself, since I wondered the same thing. But I'm posting to add that I have modified Kal's latest version to include tracking and rating of aftershave. If you would like a copy of it, I'm happy to share.

Bob

Have a good shave ;)

Hello & thanks for the feedback

Pretty much yes, given that its after the shave never felt the need to include it in the tracking & scoring. Thanks @bobmsp for adding it.

Regarding the head shaving @topcattcw has described a straightforward way of implementing a dual razor/day workaround:
Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

Top Bottom