What's new

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

Wow. Thanks! I'll stop building for the moment.

The one thing that I've found helpful is to add a third dated column that's formatted with the day of the week. I realize that may not appeal to you from an aesthetic standpoint since it makes the array even wider, but I've added it to my versions for my own use.
What about changing the date format for column B to include both day & date of the week?

Oh Man .. All this BETA testing.. :001_rolle Seems to be working for me.. Can you let us know the issue when fixed?
LOL, that was the problem that there wasn't enough beta testing. I'm actually happy I found the issue as its giving me the opportunity to cleanup/optimize some of the behind the scenes formulas, etc..

And yes I'll post when the update is online later today :)

You are quite welcome.

As for the data, feel free to keep using the existing version....just need to copy/paste into the new one and you'll be good to go.

And its back! rebrand.ly/bosc is accessible by everyone

Errors fixed, bunch of formulas cleaned up, updated to support daily tracking of post-shave products and tested.

Please let me know if you have any issues accessing the file or getting set up. Thanks for your patience, enjoy!

If you’re planning on using the worksheet to track daily costs there’s an error that needs to be fixed.

The version online was updated at 11:30pm MST, January 10, 2019 so if you downloaded it after that there’s no need to fix the error.

To confirm your version go to the bottom of the Reference tab and in the copyright box check the version number:
  • Rev. 2.3.1.0119 – Needs the fix
  • Rev. 2.3.2.0119 – Does not need the fix

If you need to apply the fix follow these steps:
1. Go to the Inventory tab
2. Go to the Blades section, cell AR4
3. Select and copy the series of formulas below (make sure not to get the space above or below, you just want the formulas)

='Blade Log'!E5
='Blade Log'!J5
='Blade Log'!O5
='Blade Log'!T5
='Blade Log'!Y5
='Blade Log'!AD5
='Blade Log'!AI5
='Blade Log'!AN5
='Blade Log'!AS5
='Blade Log'!AX5
='Blade Log'!BC5
='Blade Log'!BH5
='Blade Log'!BM5
='Blade Log'!BR5
='Blade Log'!BW5
='Blade Log'!CB5
='Blade Log'!CG5
='Blade Log'!CL5
='Blade Log'!CQ5
='Blade Log'!CV5

4. With your mouse pointer in cell AR4 right click and hover the pointer over ‘Paste special’ and then left click ‘Paste values only’

1.jpg

That's it.

Happy to answer any questions.

A few things......

1. Another few quick fixes
i. In the Inventory tab there's a missing formula in cell AM10, please add:
='Blade Log'!AI3

ii. In the Reference tab update the following two cells:
Delete the existing formula in cell D22 and replace with:

Delete the existing formula in cell G22 and replace with:

***edit*** OK, the Badger and Blade site doesn't like one of the icons in the formula. If you go to the file I reference below you will find the updated formula.

2. Speaking of fixes, if you find anything that's broken, not behaving properly or even a suggestion please drop me a PM or post here. If you want to track the errors & updates there's a new file in the shared directory called 'Faults & Fixes - Google Sheets Version'

3. To answer a couple questions I've received.
i. Can you share the worksheet? Yes, by all means please do!
ii. When can I expect the Excel version to be updated? Candidly, not anytime soon and as the functionality gap between the Google version & the more basic Excel version grows I'm less inclined to spend the time to update the latter.

As always, thank you for the interest and enthusiasm.

I might be missing something here but for some reason my 'uses per unit' for soaps & creams in the 'inventory' tab is blank, and i think as a result the 'cost per use' is blank.

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate fix or not, but I ended up adding this formula ='Rankings'!R4 for the cell U4 in 'inventory' tab

Last edited:
I might be missing something here but for some reason my 'uses per unit' for soaps & creams in the 'inventory' tab is blank, and i think as a result the 'cost per use' is blank.
The "uses per unit" (like all columns with a white background in the Inventory tab) is a variable set by you. Take a bowl of TOBS for example, some might use it sparingly and get 200 uses, someone else might use a big ol' dollop and only get 50 uses from a container. If you're just starting out take an educated guess, once you have a history you can update it with a more accurate value. But yes, without a "uses per unit" entry the "cost per use" will also be blank.

And I should add that Rev 2.3.4.0119 was posted last night and that fault/fixes file for anyone with a previous version has also been updated and is accessible by anyone. Mostly corrects some missing & incorrect formulas.

Last edited:
The "uses per unit" (like all columns with a white background in the Inventory tab) is a variable set by you. Take a bowl of TOBS for example, some might use it sparingly and get 200 uses, someone else might use a big ol' dollop and only get 50 uses from a container. If you're just starting out take an educated guess, once you have a history you can update it with a more accurate value. But yes, without a "uses per unit" entry the "cost per use" will also be blank

Thanks for the explanation

Well ..... I want to thank you very much for putting this together. I used it for a week or so and was inspired to develop my own in Numbers.

Used many of your basic patterns but slimmed down the blade details (I’m a use one 3-4 times and toss it guy) and omitted the cost info (I’m in the Sabbatical ...... because I just don’t care). Added the post-shave items others have mentioned.

Being a bit of a spreadsheet geek, too, I’ve been having tons of fun adding, tweaking, and generally messing around. Again, since I’m in the Sabbatical, this has been a wonderful distraction.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really is fascinating. I open the spreadsheet and just stare at the amount of detail and attention that went into creating this spreadsheet.

It really is fascinating. I open the spreadsheet and just stare at the amount of detail and attention that went into creating this spreadsheet.
Thank you :)

I think it's pretty cool how its evolved from the primitive early versions:
1.1 log.jpg

1.1 db.jpg

To the current:
2.4 log.jpg

2.4 db.jpg

The plan-o-gram tab that matches how I have things laid out on my shelves:
2.4 planog.jpg

And the blades tab that mimics how I store the real blades and its been set up with formatting & counting so if I double click on a cell and add a tuck from the list (shown in the red box in the pic below) it will automatically color that cell to match what the actual tuck looks like and will update the quantities in the table at the top.
2.4 blades.jpg

Kal,

Did you just add a new addition? I see there is now a temperature reading on the blade counts of the Log Page. Is this something new?

Its update time, 2.4.0 has been posted to the shared drive at www.rebrand.ly/bosc

This version has a number of functional changes, most significant being an additional Dashboard. The new dashboard includes a greater number of entries for each product family and the ability to dynamically sort by either the product's score or it’s number of uses. Checking/unchecking the box at the top of Dashboard #2 tab will toggle how the products are sorted.

screenshot_571.jpg

Other changes include:
  • The Hardware and Software tabs are now linked to the Inventory and Ranking tabs making it quicker and more straightforward to add and move items. The Price, Ranking, Number of Uses, On Hand, Acquired, Aggression (razors only) and Average Shaves Per Blade & Sharpness (blades only). You can change the order, add or remove items and those variables will remain dynamically linked to the rest of the workbook.
    Project1.jpg
  • In the Inventory tab the ability to differentiate between items on hand and those items either exhausted or otherwise no longer in use (e.g. been sold or PIF'd).
  • Minor formatting changes.

There have been a number of updates applied to background processes that address minor issues in calculating daily costs and averages. I’ve also made a few structural changes that will make upgrading to future releases quicker and easier.

To enable these enhancements and all future releases upgrading to 2.4.0 is a prerequisite.

There's a file you can download from the shared drive (Upgrade Instructions - 2.4.0.pdf) that will walk you through the process.

A question for anyone using the google worksheet....

Would you like the individual product scores included in the dashboard for last/worst/best shaves added to a future release?

screenshot_583.jpg

Top Bottom