What's new

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

A question for anyone using the google worksheet....

Would you like the individual product scores included in the dashboard for last/worst/best shaves added to a future release?

View attachment 950956

Well done Kal! These look like some really nice changes. I’ll be playing around with the upgrade this morning.

I kind of agree with Bob in that the real estate might be better used somehow else in future releases. What, I’m not sure. I’m more of a guy that thinks in terms of trends and aggregate results rather than singular. So for me, a single last, best or worst shave doesn’t carry much weight. Now, if I’m getting 10 in a row “worst” shaves as an average for a particular setup, that’s important. Not a particular day. Just me, hope that makes sense?

John

Kudos @Canadian Mountain Man for the tool, I 've started adding my inventory.
Is there a straight forward way to keep track of individual blade usage?
I think I've seen some older posts where people added the functionality themselves, just checking if this is still the way to go.

Kudos @Canadian Mountain Man for the tool, I 've started adding my inventory.
Is there a straight forward way to keep track of individual blade usage?
I think I've seen some older posts where people added the functionality themselves, just checking if this is still the way to go.
Thank you......

As for your question, not quite sure what you're looking for re. the blade usage. The current version of the worksheet automatically tracks & displays blade usage in the log tab:

proxy.php

If that not what you had in mind let me know what you're trying to accomplish :)

Good day,

Been a few changes to the MOASS (Mother of all Shaving Spreadsheets) including:
  • The daily score is calculated and populated regardless of product or user scores being included or excluded. Meaning if you only want to enter a score for the product performance and omit the user rating the sheet will still calculate an accurate average for the daily score. Likewise, if you choose to omit the product scores and only enter the user rating the daily score will be calculated and populated.
  • A number of calculation errors were corrected and formulas optimized.
  • Date ranges are now selected on the Dashboard tab vs. the Log tab in previous releases.
  • Data validation on the Log tab is fixed to include items in the disposed sections.
  • The average daily cost per month has been omitted from the log tab. This is to slightly declutter and to ease the ability to migrate data for future releases.
  • Other minor formatting fixes & edits.
MOASS - demo (live data) - 📊Dashboard.jpg

Potential features in a future release:
  • I've been playing with the ability to identify the top performing combinations but personally not seeing the value of this resource given the number of permutations even if you have a modest collection (as an example three pre-shaves, five creams/soaps, five brushes, five razors, three blades and three post-shaves would be over three thousand combinations). As an example this is what my top 20 looks like after two years of data; only vaguely discernible trend is the vintage Gillettes make a regular appearance. One way to make the results more meaningful would be to scale back what to include in calculating high performing combinations. A possibility would be to exclude soft items like the pre-shave, cream/soap, etc. and just look at razor blade combinations. Input from the gallery would be appreciated.
screenshot_40.jpg

• In a previous version of the spreadsheet I've had a randomizer but it was removed a while back. Any interest for this to make a comeback?
  • Anything else you think would be cool or useful to add? Any additional data to track....maybe the barometric pressure is an unrecognized factor in how your shaves turn out?

The following files are located at Public - Google Drive - http://www.rebrand.ly/bosc (will take you to a google drive shared folder)
  • User Guide - Google Sheets Edition: Screen captures are from a previous release but the instructions are largely unchanged. Will walk you through the two step process using the spreadsheet. First is adding your inventory and second is your daily shave information. There is some tweaking you can play with to adjust the usage and performance thresholds but everything else is automatically calculated and populated throughout the rest of the spreadsheet.
  • Upgrade Instructions - 2.4.0: Like the user guide this is from a previous release but the upgrade and/or data migration steps for the current release are similar for the current release.
  • MOASS - demo (live data): If you want to see what the sheet looks like with approximately two years of data. Existing data is protected but you can add new entries to get a sense of how the spreadsheet functions.
  • MOASS - 2.6.0.0620: Blank template

Thanks and look forward to any feedback.

Not sure if anyone is still using this or if the updates are relevant but have added a new dashboard with ver 2.6.4

MOASS prod.jpg

Available in the same location as previously linked

Still using it, but would have to figure out how extensive it would be for me to upgrade. I've made a few modifications to the version I'm using and I don't know if it's worth trying to re-do the modifications in the new version.

Still using it, but would have to figure out how extensive it would be for me to upgrade. I've made a few modifications to the version I'm using and I don't know if it's worth trying to re-do the modifications in the new version.
Cool!

If you don't mind me asking what mods have you made to it?

The big one that I remember doing is adding additional columns in the inventory that calculate whether I currently have each product and then I use the columns to populate the various drop-down list of choices in the log.

I also modified some of the blade calculations because I have some home-modified blades for my Gibbs razor. I don't need to track the average life of my notched blades separately from the main blades (e.g., Notched Polsilvers vs. Regular Polisilvers) - so I just duplicate the final numbers for the regulars in the data for the notched blades.

I think I've made a few other tweaks as well. I'd have to dig through the spreadsheet to find what else I've done. I'd thought of keeping a change-log so I'd be able to easily modify updated versions of your spreadsheet but I never got around to documenting everything.

Top Bottom