What's new

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

My apologies for a late answer didn't have a chance to come earlier.

@bobmsp I would be happy to get the updated version with aftershave counter.

@Canadian Mountain Man thank you for pointing solution, I didn't notice it before. And yes, you are right that aftershave as even its name state is AFTER but for me is more about having the full circle, everything at once. Aftershave is like a cherry on a cake, it just makes it better ;)

Thank you very much for all of your efforts, I`m so close to having a perfect shaving diary :)

I can’t access the files from the drive anymore and I have lost the templates than I had saved locally. Can anyone be so kind to send me the light version of the excel sheet by any chance?
If so please shoot me a PM.
Thanks

I can’t access the files from the drive anymore and I have lost the templates than I had saved locally. Can anyone be so kind to send me the light version of the excel sheet by any chance?
If so please shoot me a PM.
Thanks

Got them. Thanks!

Hello all,

I had an unexpected absence from civilization and B&B however am thankfully back to the real world with high speed internet, reliable power and water that can be drunk straight from the tap without giving you the trots.

Not sure if anyone missed them but the templates are back online and can be found at: rebrand.ly/bosc

The Google Sheets version has had a few minor changes since the last update that are listed in the readme tab.

Cheers,

Kal

Welcome back and thanks for updating and keeping them alive.

Good to have you back, now you have a lot to catch on ;)

Have made a few changes to the Worksheet I thought worth mentioning for existing and potentially new users.

I’ve added a lite dashboard that only displays the basic metrics, best/worst shaves and a shortened list of most used & top performing items. I recognize that the full dashboard is starting to look a little busy for some tastes, hopefully the lite version will address that.
Lite Dashboard.jpg

For the ones who do like an abundance of data the full dashboard has some new content:
-the actual scores for the most used & top performing items not
-monthly/yearly cost summary
-inventory summary
-blade table now includes sharpness and average shaves per blade

The Log page now runs from 2018 to 2021 and I’ve cleaned up the user interface
log.jpg

The Inventory page now includes costing information and for consumable items a running usage total. This allows for a per shave cost to be calculated and reported to the full dashboard.

I’ve included the pages used to keep a snapshot of hardware & software.
hw.jpg

And have updated the user guide which can also be found at Public - Google Drive

As always happy to answer any questions or hear your thoughts & feedback.

Kal

Arrrrgggg.....My work blocks external file sharing sites like google drive. If they didn't...I'd be using this spreadsheet for the rest of the afternoon. I guess I'll have to look it over tonight on my own time. Thanks @Canadian Mountain Man for all your hard work.

Have made a few changes to the Worksheet I thought worth mentioning for existing and potentially new users.

I’ve added a lite dashboard that only displays the basic metrics, best/worst shaves and a shortened list of most used & top performing items. I recognize that the full dashboard is starting to look a little busy for some tastes, hopefully the lite version will address that.
View attachment 942092

For the ones who do like an abundance of data the full dashboard has some new content:
-the actual scores for the most used & top performing items not
-monthly/yearly cost summary
-inventory summary
-blade table now includes sharpness and average shaves per blade

The Log page now runs from 2018 to 2021 and I’ve cleaned up the user interface
View attachment 942093

The Inventory page now includes costing information and for consumable items a running usage total. This allows for a per shave cost to be calculated and reported to the full dashboard.

I’ve included the pages used to keep a snapshot of hardware & software.
View attachment 942090

And have updated the user guide which can also be found at Public - Google Drive

As always happy to answer any questions or hear your thoughts & feedback.

Kal

Looks great. Since we're at the beginning of the year, I may have to switch over to this newer version. I will have to add new sets of columns to the log and to the inventory sheet since I also track my post-shave usage as well. (I'm surprised that you don't include a post-shave option in the template since I suspect that there are more people who use aftershave than preshave. Assume that that's a result of your personal shaving method.)

Hey Kal, @Canadian Mountain Man

Can I ask when the updates were completed? Only because I downloaded the file and updated it on Saturday or Sunday. Thank you for this.. great tool.

Also, it this latest One to replace the Full log? Lite version or combine them?
And Bite Factor .. how do you score that properly?

Last edited:
Arrrrgggg.....My work blocks external file sharing sites like google drive. If they didn't...I'd be using this spreadsheet for the rest of the afternoon. I guess I'll have to look it over tonight on my own time. Thanks @Canadian Mountain Man for all your hard work.
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback! :)

Looks great. Since we're at the beginning of the year, I may have to switch over to this newer version. I will have to add new sets of columns to the log and to the inventory sheet since I also track my post-shave usage as well. (I'm surprised that you don't include a post-shave option in the template since I suspect that there are more people who use aftershave than preshave. Assume that that's a result of your personal shaving method.)

Thanks!

The lack of a post-shave is a function of how our developers looked at the shaving workflow and that it ended with the razor and blade, anything after that is superfluous to the shave itself. You could say that there's some hypocrisy given they've included pre-shaves as part of the tracking but their rationale is aside from shaving there's never another time to use that product. To which, the same argument could be made for alum, witch hazel, etc. as being used almost exclusively post-shave and thus should be included in the worksheet. That said the ability to record, track and report post-shave products will be included with a future release which will be made available to you at no charge provided you're on a current maintenance and software support agreement. How was that for a marketing answer? Actually not that different than I gave to a real customer at work a few weeks ago :D. But to be clear lest someone miss my sarcasm, there are no developers of this worksheet, its just me and no, I don't/won't charge for it.

But the real answer is largely because of personal opinion that I didn't consider the post-shave as part of the core shave. And, I realize this is a touch pedantic, but I like the log page to be viewed on one page and it would start to get cramped and the other fields would get truncated if I added post-shave. But hey, that's the beauty of open source....anyone is free to mod it however they like :)

Hey Kal, @Canadian Mountain Man

Can I ask when the updates were completed? Only because I downloaded the file and updated it on Saturday or Sunday. Thank you for this.. great tool.

Also, it this latest One to replace the Full log? Lite version or combine them?
And Bite Factor .. how do you score that properly?
Welcome and thanks for using it!

This version is as of 2:00am last night. Apologies for posting the one on Sunday as I had plans to make some changes and should have held of uploading anything new till today. If you go to the bottom of the Reference (previously at the bottom of the Inventory page for prior versions) page there's a version number so you know where you're at vs. the current template.

If I understand the question correctly re. Full/lite its all the same worksheet, its just what someone chooses to enter in the log and inventory pages and if they want to use the full or lite dashboard.

Bite/aggression/sharpness are all on a 1-10 scale.

Hope that answers your questions.

No apologies needed. I should be thanking you. The one or two bugs are out of it.

Looks amazing. So a Treet Black Carbon might be a 2 or 3. Feather might be a 10?
Thank you for putting this together.

Just a heads up to anyone who downloaded the version from earlier today, you might want to wait for a bit as I'm finding some things that aren't behaving properly. Want to address that and while I'm at it add the ability to track post shave.

You can still use the version from today as the log isn't the issue. You'll be able to copy/paste your data into the revised version once I post it. But for the time being I'm turning off the access for new downloads.

Thanks for your patience.

Just a heads up to anyone who downloaded the version from earlier today, you might want to wait for a bit as I'm finding some things that aren't behaving properly. Want to address that and while I'm at it add the ability to track post shave.

You can still use the version from today as the log isn't the issue. You'll be able to copy/paste your data into the revised version once I post it. But for the time being I'm turning off the access for new downloads.

Thanks for your patience.
Wow. Thanks! I'll stop building for the moment.

The one thing that I've found helpful is to add a third dated column that's formatted with the day of the week. I realize that may not appeal to you from an aesthetic standpoint since it makes the array even wider, but I've added it to my versions for my own use.

Top Bottom