What's new

Templates for Daily Shave Log and Shave Hardware & Software Directory

This is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to play with this! :w00t:
Nice work, Kal! You’re a credit to the brotherhood.
Thank you gents

I also use dual razors and blades on occasion - sometimes using one razor for the first pass (usually my feather a/c), then two passes with another razor. I just copied the I-M columns, and renamed Razor and Blade to Razor1, Blade1,Razor2, Blade2 - and when I use only one razor, just leave Razor2 and Blade2 blank.. seems to work okay.. Also need to add the new columns #s to the weighted average score for each day that I use two razors and blades.
Yup, that was effectively what I was going for with the first of the two scenarios I was asking the poster about above. If someone want to go with the second they'd add a date column for the day(s) they used multiple razors.

I'm playing around with it this afternoon and the one thing Sheets is giving me grief with is ignoring blank cells (e.g. as would be the case how you've set up the sheet with additional columns) when calculating the weighted daily score. 'average' works as described provided there's no weighting. But if you apply that weighting it then views blank cells as having a value of zero and skews the average. And for the life of me I can't get the syntax of 'averageif' to work

Very interested in the reporting that you’re playing around with!
Curious, what sort of metrics would you want to be able to quickly see?

s ignoring blank cells (e.g. as would be the case how you've set up the sheet with additional columns) when calculating the weighted daily score. 'average' works as described provided there's no weighting. But if you apply that weighting it then views blank cells as having a value of zero and skews the average. And for the life of me I can't get the syntax of 'averageif' to work

I don't really use "averageif", but the first step will be to make sure that your criteria is surrounded in quotes. So for example if you want to skip blanks, your criteria is ">0" not >0. In other words =averageif(range,">0") will work, but averageif(range,>0) will throw an error code. The larger problem may stem from the use of non-contiguous ranges however. I'd have to look at the sheet to see. If the range is non-contiguous for UI purposes, it's easy enough make a contiguous range in some hidden columns off to the right and do the weighted averages from there.

For averages that ignore blanks, you can also use =sum(range) / countif(range,">0"). Also, given how small the workbook is, sumproduct can be pretty efficient way to do weighted averages as well. Some geeks get worked up about sumproduct, but it only really poses stability issues when machine learning or genetic algorithm optimization is in play. Is it gonna be??? :w00t:

I'm playing around with it this afternoon and the one thing Sheets is giving me grief with is ignoring blank cells (e.g. as would be the case how you've set up the sheet with additional columns) when calculating the weighted daily score. 'average' works as described provided there's no weighting. But if you apply that weighting it then views blank cells as having a value of zero and skews the average. And for the life of me I can't get the syntax of 'averageif' to work

I just took a look at your Daily Shave Log sheet. Very cool! I can see where you're running into trouble with the blanks cells for averaging purposes. An easy albeit inelegant solution is just to grab each of the non-contiguous "scores", and make a single contiguous range off to the right. Those columns can be easily hidden, and will make your life a lot easier if you're going to be doing weighted averages.

Here is a pic to clarify what I mean by pulling the scores off to the right. The scores for each respective shave component are shaded in blue, and respective weights are shaded in orange. The sumproduct formula performs the magic without fuss.

proxy.php

If you don't like array formulas, you could alternatively do this. The formula result is the same:

proxy.php

Last edited:
A cool feature might be if the sheet automatically kept track of how many uses per blade they were getting. The user would only need to input one additional field "blade serial #". So user would enter the blade from the dropdown (i.e. Feather), and then they would enter the "serial #", which if it was the first Feather in the sheet, would just be the number "1". Each day you use the same blade, you just enter that same serial number "1". When it kicks, and you start a new Feather, for serial number, you just enter "2". And so on.

The nifty feature is that the counter doesn't care if you stop using that blade for a week, a month, or a year. If you put in "Feather" for blade and then "1" for serial number, it will continue counting on that blade. That's a nice feature when you rotate razors like I do, but leave the razor and blade together. It's also flexible enough so that you can take that same blade and put it in a different razor, and it doesn't care, it'll just keep on counting.

Here's what the messy version looks like before everything is hidden. It's super simple, it just uses the countif(range,criteria) function to count the instances of razor_serial number. Just a thought I thought I'd toss out there if folks wanted that sort of thing. I know I like keeping track of how many uses I get. It'd be fun to report against at the end of the year.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Howdy....LOVE it!!

I just took a look at your Daily Shave Log sheet. Very cool! I can see where you're running into trouble with the blanks cells for averaging purposes. An easy albeit inelegant solution is just to grab each of the non-contiguous "scores", and make a single contiguous range off to the right. Those columns can be easily hidden, and will make your life a lot easier if you're going to be doing weighted averages.

Here is a pic to clarify what I mean by pulling the scores off to the right. The scores for each respective shave component are shaded in blue, and respective weights are shaded in orange. The sumproduct formula performs the magic without fuss.
Similar to the path I was headed down. There is a benefit to hidden weighted columns (yellow) since they can be pointed back to the !# reference tab where the respective priorities can be adjusted. So like you mentioned if someone doesn't use a particular product like a preshave or if they put a higher emphasis on the blade its easy to change.

And I'm fine with inelegant :)

proxy.php

proxy.php

For averages that ignore blanks, you can also use =sum(range) / countif(range,">0"). Also, given how small the workbook is, sumproduct can be pretty efficient way to do weighted averages as well. Some geeks get worked up about sumproduct, but it only really poses stability issues when machine learning or genetic algorithm optimization is in play. Is it gonna be??? :w00t:
Guess if someone wanted to really obsessive re. statistical fidelity could borrow some techniques from work and apply minimum weighted norm interpolation to help correct for any missing data.

A cool feature might be if the sheet automatically kept track of how many uses per blade they were getting. The user would only need to input one additional field "blade serial #". So user would enter the blade from the dropdown (i.e. Feather), and then they would enter the "serial #", which if it was the first Feather in the sheet, would just be the number "1". Each day you use the same blade, you just enter that same serial number "1". When it kicks, and you start a new Feather, for serial number, you just enter "2". And so on.

The nifty feature is that the counter doesn't care if you stop using that blade for a week, a month, or a year. If you put in "Feather" for blade and then "1" for serial number, it will continue counting on that blade. That's a nice feature when you rotate razors like I do, but leave the razor and blade together. It's also flexible enough so that you can take that same blade and put it in a different razor, and it doesn't care, it'll just keep on counting.

Here's what the messy version looks like before everything is hidden. It's super simple, it just uses the countif(range,criteria) function to count the instances of razor_serial number. Just a thought I thought I'd toss out there if folks wanted that sort of thing. I know I like keeping track of how many uses I get. It'd be fun to report against at the end of the year.

proxy.php
Thats awesome!! And I agree that blade longevity would be one of the most useful metrics. That said, I can only look at this with my own objectivity and is entering this amount of data every day sustainable behavior. Personally I'm not quite but close to the tipping point with what I'm recording every day and not sure I'd want to add much more.

This is similar, albeit more fun & less guilt inducing, then calorie tracking with a site like sparkpeople but still....using the measurement/analysis tools shouldn't take more time & effort then the original activity. That time is better spent on other activities like on the bike, at the range, drinking bourbon, looking for vintage razors online (all in that order) :)

I absolutely love what you've built here, and how easy it is to customize! I definitely agree logging should take less time than shaving. :001_tongu

Since I don't use preshave, a brush, or a post-shave, I can de-weight and hide those columns. So for me, all I have to log each morning is just the soap, razor, blade, and blade ID. I think 4 is def the max I'd realistically put the time in to track for the long haul. What you've built is so easy to customize though, it's quick and easy to just bolt-on the functionality I want without disrupting anything.

Thanks a ton for putting all this together and sharing it with the rest of us!

Wauuuuu,

That is some team spirit! Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge and time.

Regarding the dual razors/blades, should I take it that shaving your head isn't something you do every day? How would you like to see the razor & blade scoring differentiated? That is, would you want to be able to look back at a particular month and see how a razor & blade preformed specifically for a face or head shave or can it be blended into just a common scoring regardless of where you used the razors & blades?
I shave head/face altogether and mostly every second day. And yes, sometimes I use a different razor+blade combo for head and face. I would prefer to be separate scoring but if its too complicated then combined is fine.

And as I see there is some solution for blade counting so that is great.

Thanks a lot for compiling and answering to our needs. Happy shaving.

As you mentioned,I’d be interested in best/worst combinations, and most used in any category.
So here's what I've put together for the data analysis.

First is a sheet/tab with a series of "temperature" tables for each product family. They're sorted high to low and have the color formatting automatically applied to identify low to high (red-orange-yellow-green). Each product family has two different means to analyze and sort, one based on the subjective score recorded in the daily log ( =averagea(filter('2018'!$D:$D,'2018'!$C:$C="product") ) and the other based on the number of times it was used. At the moment the break points for each color is purely subjective. Guess one could use percentile rank but for some of the items (at least in my inventory....say pre-shave products) there aren't enough to return a statistically valid distribution.

At least with my dataset the best/worst combos would be a problem at the moment. There are 18,195,840 different combinations :001_huh:; even if its limited to brush, razor & blade is 7020 variations. And relative to the B&B membership don't think its that expansive a collection.

proxy.php

The other tab is the dashboard. First section is just a consolidation from the previous temperature table. Second with the blade life is just there as a placeholder at the moment.

The "Shave Performance" chart tracks month over month data with two datasets being represented. The blue 2LbG (200 pound gorilla....aka the person behind the razor....will come up with something more flattering for the template) is score that gets captured in the last column of the daily log and just that singular impression you had of it being a pleasant or problematic shave. The red is average weighted score for the month ( =iferror(averageif('2018'!:O62,"<>0"),0) ).

The shave days a year to date representation of how you're doing to shave every day, didn't shave or didn't capture the data in the daily shave log. Not sure if anyone else finds it meaningful. Should say that the "No Data" portion is over represented since its capturing everything from Jan 1st and since I didn't start recording this till February its a bit wonky.

proxy.php

These updates haven't been uploaded to the public site yet. Wanted to see if this is what some of you had in mind before making the changes to the templates.

Also wanted to mention if anyone wants to add their own functionality and make it available I'd be happy to give you upload capabilities.

Kal - This design seems perfect! (BTW - Once I start playing with this - I can never show my wife! ) Thanks again for all this great work !

I can't take it any more. There is just too much awesome here. :w00t:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
LOL, give me 5 minutes, just posting the updated template

@Canadian Mountain Man how do you log your razors in the shave hardware? Do you just put the manufacturer on the !# tab and then where do you put the name, or do you put Wolfman WR1 all under the Razor Mfg column as an example
Most things I name follow a large to small nomenclature regardless of the number of fields the data is in. For this spreadsheet I've put everything in one cell for all the different hardware & software, so the razors as an example look like this in the !# tab
Edwin Jagger - Kelvin (Chrome)
Fatip - Grande OC (Gun Coat)
Gillette - Aristocrat Junior UK (Gold)
Gillette - Adjustable Fat Boy (Chrome)
Gillette - Adjustable Slim (Chrome)
Gillette - Adjustable Super 84 (Black)
Gillette - Super Speed Black Tip (Gold)
Gillette - Super Speed Blue Tip (Nickel)
Gillette - Super Speed Flare (Black)

Hope that answers the question

Evening all...

Here's the summary of changes for 1.1.0518 of the Google Sheets version of the Daily Shave Log and three'ish steps to migrate from the old to new version.

There were a few significant changes to this version including:
-Addition of a "Dashboard" & "Heat Tables" tabs
-Dashboard will provide a quick snapshot of which of your hardware & software you've rated as performing best & used most often, a monthly summary of how you've ranked your shaves and a summary of the total days you've shaved, not shaved or not captured the data for a particular day. The blade life chart is something still being worked on and hopefully coming in a future release.
-Heat Tables will give you list of all your hardware & software sorted high to low based on your daily ratings and the number of times you've used each item. The "Function" columns are based on your ratings and currently trigger the colors as following aggregate scores for each item; Red 0 - 4.9, Orange 5.0 - 6.9, Yellow 7.0 - 7.9% and Green 8.0 - 10. The "Usage" columns trigger colors differently depending on the product family. For example Pre-Shaves have a higher value to trigger a color compared to Cream/Soaps. Logic being most people have more creams & creams than pre-shave products so if you're trying to use everything in your den evenly it would make sense that you'll use one type of soap less often than you'd one type of pre-shave. All of the various breakpoints are subjective and can be changed at the user's discretion using the conditional formatting function.
-For the Dashboard and Heat Tables to function properly each day you enter your information there has to be something entered in the Razor column, at the very least 'None' or 'No Data' and if you want to capture the days you don't shave this is the cell you'll need to enter 'No Shave'. All these options are available in the drop down menu in the Razor column.-There are a number of sections of the in the sheet that have either been hidden or protected, The hidden columns hold various functions and the protected areas are in place to help keep those formulas from being altered in error. There are still no passwords or other protections and everything can still be edited. Anything with a yellow background​

-There's no longer a "2019" or "Template" tab. If you want to add these back just duplicate the "2018" tab.

And there were a number of minor changes including:
-Formating to give everything a hopefully more clean look
-In the "!#" tab there's now a section titled Weighting (green background) where you can adjust the priority attached to the various product rankings and your overall impression of the day's shave. Keep in mind the total for those those weightings should be an integer that equals the number of items you regularly use.

Unfortunately nothing is for nothing and to use the additional functionality you'll need to migrate your data from the existing sheet to the new version. Steps are fairly straight forward and shouldn't take you much longer than 15-20 minutes. To get the new template:
-Go to bit.do/bosc
-Use the 'Make a Copy' process as described in the original instructions I included in the first post of this thread
-Once you have it in your own Google drive open it and your existing Daily Log sheet
-Starting with the '!#' tab of the old sheet select the contents of from columns A to F so you're capturing everything from your inventory (doesn't matter if you're going to copy some empty cells), use 'Ctrl+C' to copy

proxy.php

-In the '!#' tab of your new sheet with your cursor in cell 'A2' use the values only paste function, 'Shift+Ctrl+V'
proxy.php

-In the '2018' tab of your old sheet select the contents the entire content of columns C to K, use 'Ctrl+C' to copy
proxy.php

-In the '2018' tab of your new sheet with your cursor in cell 'C1' use the values only paste function, 'Shift+Ctrl+V'
-In the '2018' tab of your old sheet repeat the same process for copying the remaining columns L to P
-In the '2018' tab of your new sheet with your cursor in cell 'M1' use the values only paste function, 'Shift+Ctrl+V'

I've hopefully made the instructions as straightforward as possible and consistent regardless of what browser you might be using.

Let me know your thoughts on the new template or if you encounter any hiccups with the migration.

Thanks again to everyone's continued enthusiasm.

Kal

I think I may have scared some potential users off with my previous posts and what could be described as enthusiasm rampant frenzy and excessive detail. Honestly, not as daunting as it looks.

I took a blank template as though I were a new user and entered a collection of 30 items (8 creams/soaps, 8 brushes, 8 razors and 6 blades) which took about half an hour. Once that times been put in its only around 1 minute to enter the details for a shave each day. If you're curious here's a short video that steps through the workbook, what data can be quickly observed in the dashboard and what it looks like to enter a day's shave.

Latest iteration of the Daily Shave Log for Google Sheets is here and can be found at: bit.do/bosc

Fixed a few issues with the previously release, cleaned up the formatting and added a special SWMBO feature (can go to the 3:27 mark in the video to see it in action) :)

For those interested in the Excel version be patient. With the addition of the "temperature" tab its not quite as simple to migrate from Google Sheets to Excel but am working on it.

Enjoy

I think I may have scared some potential users off with my previous posts and what could be described as enthusiasm rampant frenzy and excessive detail. Honestly, not as daunting as it looks.

I took a blank template as though I were a new user and entered a collection of 30 items (8 creams/soaps, 8 brushes, 8 razors and 6 blades) which took about half an hour. Once that times been put in its only around 1 minute to enter the details for a shave each day. If you're curious here's a short video that steps through the workbook, what data can be quickly observed in the dashboard and what it looks like to enter a day's shave.

Latest iteration of the Daily Shave Log for Google Sheets is here and can be found at: bit.do/bosc

Fixed a few issues with the previously release, cleaned up the formatting and added a special SWMBO feature (can go to the 3:27 mark in the video to see it in action) :)

For those interested in the Excel version be patient. With the addition of the "temperature" tab its not quite as simple to migrate from Google Sheets to Excel but am working on it.

Enjoy

Enjoy

Can you add a link for the youtube vid ? - I can't get the in-bedded to work.

This has to be one of the best efforts that someone has done in YEARS. Well done! I am looking forward for the excel version as well!

Top Bottom