What's new

Team TWSBI

I got my TWSBI Mini on Monday.

It's my second fountain pen, the first being the Lamy Safari, and first expensive (for me) pen purchase.

It's a gorgeous pen and it writes perfectly smooth. It was shipped extremely fast (2 days after I ordered it)

Whether this pen fails/cracks or not within the next 4 months will determine whether or not I buy the 580 when it comes out.

The TWSBI mini was also my first nicer pen. it writes beautifully and is still one of my smoothest EF nibs.

I have been eyeing the mini for some time and plan to purchase one at the end of the week (unless I can be talked out). I wanted to talk about nibs. All my pens are fine and extra fine. I was thinking about a broad. Can someone comment on their broad nib by TWSBI. Likes. Dislikes.

TWSBI broad nibs are good. However, a broad nib will lay down considerably more ink and depending on your paper/ink, could cause feathering. This is not specific to TWSBI. Since I write on cheap paper all day at work, I typically use a medium nib.

Friends don't let friends buy TWSBI'S

Indeed. I was about to buy a TWSBI for a PIF on another forum for a grad student who is new to fountain pens, and I just couldn't do it. I opted for a near mint Pelikan M200 instead... for the cost of a 580.

-Andy

Ah man, I feel bad for them. Problems at the start of production, and despite doing everything right afterwards people will never let it go. The brand will be tainted for life because of this internet thing, that will hang about forever I guess.
Even though, no one recommends a pen that cracks theses days - they all recommend the 580. Strangely, it seems we judge the whole brand and not the models, which is even more odd, as the brand as a whole (thinking customer service, variety etc here) is very good
A real shame, because the 580, IMO, is a good pen.

Ah man, I feel bad for them. Problems at the start of production, and despite doing everything right afterwards people will never let it go. The brand will be tainted for life because of this internet thing, that will hang about forever I guess.
Even though, no one recommends a pen that cracks theses days - they all recommend the 580. Strangely, it seems we judge the whole brand and not the models, which is even more odd, as the brand as a whole (thinking customer service, variety etc here) is very good
A real shame, because the 580, IMO, is a good pen.

I'm sure it is. I think they released the 540 prematurely, however, and that will haunt them for a long time. I almost bought a 580 for that PIF, partly because I wanted to try it out before I sent it off. Hard to turn down a Pelikan for the same price, though. I got lucky too... it's mint.

I don't hate the brand (TWSBI), but I don't really want a piston filler with a JoWo nib. If I was in the market for a new fountain pen with a standard nib, I'd maybe consider a Vac or mini. I was looking for pens with more interesting nibs and/or materials by the time TWSBI hit the scene.

Cheers to anyone who loves their fountain pen(s), no matter the brand.

-Andy

Last edited:
I'll take a TWSBI over a Pelikan based on looks and price alone. Where are y'all finding M200s for around $50-75?

I love my minis posted (have 2) and my vac 700 unposted. The ink colors look great in the body and the nibs have all been super smooth for me with no problems on the bodies or sections. Also the filling mechanisms are super easy and give you plenty of capacity.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I'll take a TWSBI over a Pelikan based on looks and price alone. Where are y'all finding M200s for around $50-75?

Good used ones, although all Pelikans are going up, up, up. Last one I got was $65, beautiful black one. I take it you haven't carried one yet. :mellow:

Good used ones, although all Pelikans are going up, up, up. Last one I got was $65, beautiful black one. I take it you haven't carried one yet. :mellow:

Ah, I've not ventured into the used fountain pen marketplace yet. I have not carried a Pelikan and don't plan on it despite the claims of better quality. At least not until they design one more to my tastes. Their current offerings just don't do anything for me. Too "meh".

I have a 580 (clear), mini (clear), and Vac700 (clear blue); all with medium nibs. My TWSBIs are, along with my Pilot Metros, my favorite workhorse/everyday pens. I love that they hold an insane amount of voume, and I never ave to worry about running out of ink. With the VAC700, I ill generally grow tired of the ink and want to change it out before I run out.

Top Bottom