What's new

Team TWSBI

I think the vac 700 is a little bit bigger than a 580 ( don't quote me on that ). The vac 700 holds a ton of ink but is a little harder to clean out, if you like to change inks often. The 580 is a larger pen as well. The mini, which I own in a Classic with a 1.1 stub, is a smaller pen but when posted is as big as my konrad.

If you want a full size pen, go with the vac 700 or 580. If you want a pen that will easily fit into your shirt pocket and feel like a full size pen when posted ( equal to a 580 unposted ) get the mini.
I must admit, I really enjoy my Mini in EF. It's my EDC for all situations right now. Noodlers HOD is the current sample I'm using and it writes nicely.

Received the 580 in 1.1 mm stub today. Flushed her and filled with Liberty's Elysium. I'm liking it OK so far. It's surprisingly dry for such a large nib, though, not that I mind it. Hopefully I'll find the time to give initial thoughts of the pen as well as review the ink sometime this weekend.

Received the 580 in 1.1 mm stub today. Flushed her and filled with Liberty's Elysium. I'm liking it OK so far. It's surprisingly dry for such a large nib, though, not that I mind it. Hopefully I'll find the time to give initial thoughts of the pen as well as review the ink sometime this weekend.

The 540s had a reputation for having dry nibs, hopefully the 580 isn't the same.

The 540s had a reputation for having dry nibs, hopefully the 580 isn't the same.

I am surprised to read this. I am a FP newbie and certainly not disputing what you say. My 540 writes immediately and smoothly every time, even after being stored nib up for >week. Inked with Noodler's 54 Mass.

Dry. Frustratingly so. I bought the 1.1 in hopes that I'd get a nice, wet nib that showed off the shading characteristics of certain inks.

I didn't get it.

:crying::crying:Oh well perhaps my 540 will have another pen to keep it company......
Fingers crossed still for a good one.

TWSBI was my first forray into fountain pens, just over a year ago. Now I have 2 540s, one a clear fine and the other a smoke 1.1, and a red banded ink bottle. Have had cracked sections and caps which were very quickly replaced by speedy. His commitment to customer satisfaction has been nothing short of phenomenal!!! Hard to find that now-a-days. Both pens are exceptionally smooth and have never skipped, or burped, or leaked... can't be happier.

:crying::crying:Oh well perhaps my 540 will have another pen to keep it company......
Fingers crossed still for a good one.

If you are willing to tinker with your pen you can try this:

If not send them both back, no reason you shouldn't be happy with your pens.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a good technique. I have used it a few times.

Does anyone know where to get larger sheets of brass like that? In one of his videos (may be this one), Stephen Brown has nice brass sheets in all different thicknesses.

Does anyone know where to get larger sheets of brass like that? In one of his videos (may be this one), Stephen Brown has nice brass sheets in all different thicknesses.

This is the video I wanted to link the first time. ( somehow I missed it ) I didn't go through it but there is a post in the comment section where someone says they got the sheets on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I started my TWSBI collection with a mini classic (fine) and a Vac700 amber (broad).
Solid pens, but I did have to mes with the nib on the vac to get a decent flow and a broad line.

BTW the Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki dried on white paper almost perfectly matches the color of the amber pen.

My flow issue was actually a nib issue with the Vac 700, and is being resolved. Check the story here.

You definitely can't complain about the service when they are aware of a problem.

Last edited:

Shim stock. Most good hardware stores or mechanical supply house.

I dug out my 530 to check out the cracks. I bought this pen when it first came out. i stopped using it when it kept leaking on my fingers. The front section and front part of the barrel are both cracked. I like the size and feel of the pen, the nib is wet and smooth, but with the cracks, it's a no go for me.

i took photo and sent a note to Twsbi asking about replacement parts. I hope they will send new ones without charge.

We will see what happens. In the meantime, I am enjoying my Kaweco Sport.

I learned a few things about the world of pens on this thread, these are cheaper than my Parkers too

proxy.php

I dug out my 530 to check out the cracks. I bought this pen when it first came out. i stopped using it when it kept leaking on my fingers. The front section and front part of the barrel are both cracked. I like the size and feel of the pen, the nib is wet and smooth, but with the cracks, it's a no go for me.

i took photo and sent a note to Twsbi asking about replacement parts. I hope they will send new ones without charge.

We will see what happens. In the meantime, I am enjoying my Kaweco Sport.

I received the new parts in the mail yesterday, no charge. While the TWSBI materials may be questionable, the TWSBI service is outstanding?

I have been eyeing the mini for some time and plan to purchase one at the end of the week (unless I can be talked out). I wanted to talk about nibs. All my pens are fine and extra fine. I was thinking about a broad. Can someone comment on their broad nib by TWSBI. Likes. Dislikes.

Top Bottom