What's new

The average age of members…. then there’s me.

So I’m smiling even now as I write this… because I’ve always wanted to write a thread on this… but couldn’t bring myself to.

I’d like to have a light-hearted discussion with my fellow wet shavers… I hope this is appropriate.

I’ve yet to find someone close my age here in B&B and that’s not a bad thing… however I find it incredibly amusing the more I see how I’m an outlier in a way… or maybe… this thread will reveal I’m not as much one.

I started collecting vintage razors at 16 years of age… the first ever was a Gillette Old Type 3-piece in an antique store and I was so intrigued by it. It was so niche, so fascinating and so forgotten. I bought it and began to love looking for and collecting them. It eventually led me (reluctantly) after years of collecting, into shaving with them. I’ve been officially a daily wet-shaver for about 7 months now and I’ve got the hang of it… I love it!

So I’m going to ask.. Have you ever met a 22 year old young man… who’s heavily into wet shaving? What are your thoughts… or EVEN advice to a young buck. I actually find it awesome that men of all ages some old enough to be my grandfather or even father… can come together with me over this passion. I encourage men of all ages to please engage here. I anxiously look forward to your responses or feedback.

I started collecting vintage razors at 16 years of age… the first ever was a Gillette Old Type 3-piece in an antique store and I was so intrigued by it. It was so niche, so fascinating and so forgotten. I bought it and began to love looking for and collecting them. It eventually led me (reluctantly) after years of collecting, into shaving with them. I’ve been officially a daily wet-shaver for about 7 months now and I’ve got the hang of it… I love it!
You are a preternaturally wise and tasteful young Gentleman, who follows his own path.

More power to you Sir.

I think I fall in the middle/upper end of the age range here, though I really only started with DE's about 8-9 months ago. I tend to gravitate to the more modern machined razors as opposed to the vintage ones. Granted, I've never tried a vintage razor and don't believe I've ever stumbled across one.

It was my college-bound son who began *my* interest in 2020. He asked about it, did some research, went to college with a puck of Williams Mug, a Van der Hagen TTO with included blades, and an entry-level brush from Amazon. I spent his first semester researching, discovering this forum, . . . and the rest, as they say, is history.

I am the fanatic, though. He has enjoyed the variety I bring, but has settled on the Merkur Progress with Feather blades, an Omega boar, and a Captain's Choice bowl. We have soaps aplenty.

Side brag: he is a natural artist, and he drew my avatar to memorialize a B&B Godzilla-themed Kai blade giveaway.

It's funny how wet shaving made a comeback among people. I'm 56 and only started during Covid. I honestly do not remember my father shaving with anything other than a trac II and even my grandfather shaved with an atra when I was in my teens and paying attention.
The Henson shaver became my "gateway drug" as I researched the benefit of shaving with a DE and now only use a cartridge when I have to fly.

So I’m smiling even now as I write this… because I’ve always wanted to write a thread on this… but couldn’t bring myself to.

I’d like to have a light-hearted discussion with my fellow wet shavers… I hope this is appropriate.

I’ve yet to find someone close my age here in B&B and that’s not a bad thing… however I find it incredibly amusing the more I see how I’m an outlier in a way… or maybe… this thread will reveal I’m not as much one.

So I’m going to ask.. Have you ever met a 22 year old young man… who’s heavily into wet shaving? What are your thoughts… or EVEN advice to a young buck. I actually find it awesome that men of all ages some old enough to be my grandfather or even father… can come together with me over this passion. I encourage men of all ages to please engage here. I anxiously look forward to your responses or feedback.

I suspect this is either a robot or a russian hacker!!
What young person these days would want to be associated with shaving??
That would mean immediate ostracism from any of his social media!!

Mid 30s when I got fed up with the cost of the norm and transitioned.

I do believe you starting at 16 are an extreme outlier. And smart, and an independent thinker. And there’s not a thing wrong with any of that.

Most people truly are sheep, following the narrative because they don’t know better, don’t have curiosity enough to search out alternatives, don’t want to stray from the flock, etc.

And I suspect you’re a greater outlier here than say, Reddit or other “younger demographic” platforms.

I suspect this is either a robot or a russian hacker!!
What young person these days would want to be associated with shaving??
That would mean immediate ostracism from any of his social media!!

I try to keep my social media for my business purposes only if possible so it isn’t as much of an issue for me I don’t guess. And I’m sure you may not believe that but… take it or leave it. All of my profiles are for work. 😁 Quite funny though… I find forums like this to be a more pure social experience. I just love the hobby.
And I won’t delve into what I think of mainstream social media… that’d take way too long. It’s a great tool… but a double edged sword.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

We've had a number of members around your age on here. What I've noticed though, is that they don't seem to stick around nearly as long as some of the older members. I imagine they sign up, get what they need out of it, then move on or become distracted with some other pastime.

We've had a number of members around your age on here. What I've noticed though, is that they don't seem to stick around nearly as long as some of the older members. I imagine they sign up, get what they need out of it, then move on or become distracted with some other pastime.
I can see that… I come in waves somewhat… I’m here for a while… get caught up on other things then come back again

My nephew is your age and back when he first started shaving I bought him his first razor. I intended to start DE shaving too, but only started/stopped a few times. He continued. When I picked this back up in earnest a year ago, I checked in with him and he was still shaving along with that same razor (a Ming Shi adjustable Futur clone). I've bought him a few more razors and he really liked the late 40s/early 50s super speed and the GEM 1912 I recently got him. He is a more experienced shaver than me and enjoys it as well.

My nephew is your age and back when he first started shaving I bought him his first razor. I intended to start DE shaving too, but only started/stopped a few times. He continued. When I picked this back up in earnest a year ago, I checked in with him and he was still shaving along with that same razor (a Ming Shi adjustable Futur clone). I've bought him a few more razors and he really liked the late 40s/early 50s super speed and the GEM 1912 I recently got him. He is a more experienced shaver than me and enjoys it as well.

So cool. I actually have a friend who’s a couple years older than me. I won him over to DE shaving and he loves it as well.

I have met a lot. The young people seem to be on Reddit wet shaving there are several. Also there is at least one active Discord server dedicated to wet shaving and lots of youn people.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome youngster. I think that many people continue to shave with carts because that is what is readily available and predominantly marketed these days. I'm 53 years old and about 3 1/2 years into shaving with DE/SR/shavettes.

I was simply looking for an alternative because I was frustrated with the results and the costs. I likely wouldn't be here if Van der Hagen shave kits hadn't been offered in my local grocers. Thank goodness they were, although I no longer see them, and so here I am. I am still flabbergasted that there is zero shelf space offered for DE razors in the stores here. It probably speaks to the profit margin of carts and canned foam for the big companies.

I've passed it along to my boys. They are around the same age as OP. I'll gush about DE razors to anyone that will listen.

At the end of the day I think many people don't know there is a viable alternative that often gives a better result. Kind of like a bidet here in the States. If you're made aware of it and open to it there's a good chance you'll be happy with the change.

Top Bottom