What's new

DougK's random journey through the shaving universe

Well, another long lapse in posting my thoughts, so where am I now, gear-wise? Basically, I'm still using the Gillette Guard as my daily driver with Trader Joe's honey mango shave cream. I gave up on my brush after I used up my Palmolive and I don't really miss it. I still have my Wilkinson Sword DE, my UNO, and my RazoRock Hawk available, but I haven't used them in quite some time.

My shaves aren't quite as close with the TJ creme as with the Palmolive + brush combo, but they are still plenty good enough for my needs as a daily shaver. I'm not feeling much need to switch things up, which is a good sign for my struggle back towards minimalism.

I'm going to live dangerously and have my first DE shave in a few months tomorrow: Wilkinson Sword plastic DE, VdH blade (I have a tuck I need to use up), Maggard's synthetic brush, and Palmolive creme. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it more than I have any shave in the last couple of months.

I had my first DE shave this morning since my last post in this thread, this time with a Gillette Super Blue razor and blade, Palmolive cream, and my trusty synthetic brush. My technique may be lacking because I'm out of practice, but the shave was excellent with no nicks, weepers, or other mishaps. Same combo in the morning, so let's see how things go.

Binned the Super Blue after three shaves, but they were all excellent, just one tiny nick on the last shave because I got a little careless on my chin. I'm a big fan of the closeness I'm getting but I think I'm almost getting too close; today's shave left my face feeling just a bit warm and my technique isn't that bad, certainly no excessive pressure or bad angle was in play. Maybe I've just gotten used to the Guard and I need to retrain myself a bit. I'll continue on for a bit and see how things go.

Top Bottom