What's new

The average age of members…. then there’s me.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
So I’m smiling even now as I write this… because I’ve always wanted to write a thread on this… but couldn’t bring myself to.

I’d like to have a light-hearted discussion with my fellow wet shavers… I hope this is appropriate.

I’ve yet to find someone close my age here in B&B and that’s not a bad thing… however I find it incredibly amusing the more I see how I’m an outlier in a way… or maybe… this thread will reveal I’m not as much one.

I started collecting vintage razors at 16 years of age… the first ever was a Gillette Old Type 3-piece in an antique store and I was so intrigued by it. It was so niche, so fascinating and so forgotten. I bought it and began to love looking for and collecting them. It eventually led me (reluctantly) after years of collecting, into shaving with them. I’ve been officially a daily wet-shaver for about 7 months now and I’ve got the hang of it… I love it!

So I’m going to ask.. Have you ever met a 22 year old young man… who’s heavily into wet shaving? What are your thoughts… or EVEN advice to a young buck. I actually find it awesome that men of all ages some old enough to be my grandfather or even father… can come together with me over this passion. I encourage men of all ages to please engage here. I anxiously look forward to your responses or feedback.

At 22 years of age, I was the only person I knew, of any age, that was using double edge razors. I'd been using one for three or four years by that point, and whenever I mentioned it to someone, they looked at me like my head buttoned up the back.

That was back in 1995 though, and I only used a black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic razor with Wilkie blades, and continued that way for another 15 years or so. I do own more razors now, but still tend to stick to using just one for most of my shaves. Currently that's a Game Changer 68. I also have a healthy stockpile of blades, soap, and brushes now though, as I did have to endure some pretty nasty blade droughts in those formative pre-internet years.

My friend @Osyri here on B&B started just a couple of months ago and he is a youngster just like OP
OP is flexing Uncle Boris, when I was 16 I was nerding it out on books and luckily only had peach fuzz, 18-22 years old, I was living in a dorm and had co-ed bathrooms which is where I perfected the 30 seconds XTG + ATG disposable shave with face wash. Luxuries like Shave Gel didn't come into my life until I went home after graduation and stole my Dad's Gillette Shave gel when I found my own apt!

I had to find B&B and all you crazy Uncles at age 23, and RAD is ...............

I started DE shaving when I was 17, and now I’m 20.

Prior to that, it was a janky shavette my dad owned. (He would dry shave using it with month old blades because his barber said it was ok)

Top Bottom