What's new

Super-Max blades

I have just read this

So this could indeed be the end of the Super-Max brand...

The main plant of Super Max has closed down a few months back. Legendary Super Max brands are all off the shelves now here in India.

Well...that sucks.

What do you think of some of the other blades that are hitting the market in India - are there blades that you think make good substitutes for favourite SuperMax brands?

Personally, I have been toying with the idea of buying 100 SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum - looks like I need to make a decision post haste!

I have just read this

So this could indeed be the end of the Super-Max brand...
It was really sad to hear..2000 employees are losing their jobs 😞 ..and we super-max fans are losing a truly great razorblade supplier 😞😓

Dang. Sorry to see that. I just picked up a 100 tuck of the Blue Diamonds, and I already have a few hundred other SuperMax's I like in the hoard so I'll be good, but I always hate to see a supplier go.

This reminds me that years ago, someone gifted me a small tube of SuperMax labeled shave cream. I'm sure someone else made it but I can't factually claim that. It had a strong scent of tea tree that I enjoy, and it lathered like a champ. That was nice stuff, and I wish I knew who had produced it on the off chance it is still made under another label.

Dang. Sorry to see that. I just picked up a 100 tuck of the Blue Diamonds, and I already have a few hundred other SuperMax's I like in the hoard so I'll be good, but I always hate to see a supplier go.

This reminds me that years ago, someone gifted me a small tube of SuperMax labeled shave cream. I'm sure someone else made it but I can't factually claim that. It had a strong scent of tea tree that I enjoy, and it lathered like a champ. That was nice stuff, and I wish I knew who had produced it on the off chance it is still made under another label.
If it was a supplier it would be half bad, but we are talking a huge manufacturer.

Super-Max creams have been manufactured at least in 3 different countries. The very first ones were made in a company in Bulgaria. But you will not find the same cream under another name. Their recipies were custom.

This is a shame. Super-Max Platinum were one of the first blades that worked well for me. I still have a good supply, but I hate that I won't be able to get anymore now. I feel like stocking up while I can.

Well...that sucks.

What do you think of some of the other blades that are hitting the market in India - are there blades that you think make good substitutes for favourite SuperMax brands?

Personally, I have been toying with the idea of buying 100 SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum - looks like I need to make a decision post haste!
The Gillette blades are without doubt top dogs. Other blades like Willys, blades by vertice are pretty good. They are fast filling up the gaps for super max. I see many of these blade makers selling blank blades in 1000 pieces on B2B sides like India mart dot Com. Business is booming and it may be likely escalated the losses of Vidyut Metallics who owned Super Max.

If it was a supplier it would be half bad, but we are talking a huge manufacturer.

Super-Max creams have been manufactured at least in 3 different countries. The very first ones were made in a company in Bulgaria. But you will not find the same cream under another name. Their recipies were custom.
It's been so long on the cream that I don't even remember where it was made. It was a nice cream.

I'm tempted to snag some SuperMax blades now.

Agree. It was like an unshakeable giant in DE blades. Their website speaks volumes of their diverse products for various Geographies.

I feel the Gillette onslaught with blades like Winner, 365 and Wilkinson Sword to break the SuperMax brand may have worked well. Roping in a Global Cricket legend like Sachin Tendulkar to smile off a box of budget Winner blades means big money was flowing to get the market. Plus the products are also pretty good.

Agree. It was like an unshakeable giant in DE blades. Their website speaks volumes of their diverse products for various Geographies.

I feel the Gillette onslaught with blades like Winner, 365 and Wilkinson Sword to break the SuperMax brand may have worked well. Roping in a Global Cricket legend like Sachin Tendulkar to smile off a box of budget Winner blades means big money was flowing to get the market. Plus the products are also pretty good.
Going to a subcontractor to manufacture the Winner Stainless is a first for Gillette, and is a disgraceful thing for me. The Winner Platinum is indeed pretty good. The Stainless is a subpar product in my opinion.

Let's not forget worldwide Gillette has a 120 year old footing. Super-Max have been making blades since only 2008. You ask people who use DE blades in my counrty (and most of us have terrible black whiskers) if they would buy Super-Max or Gillette, they will say undoubtedly Gillette. Around 2016-17 Super-Max even dropped the DE blade here (Only Super-Max Super Platinum has ever been sold) They tried with disposables, but all you keep hearing here and there is how dull they are. I have used a couple of models, and can confirm that.

I have at least 1500 blades of 7 Super-Max models, so this is one of those moments when blade hoarding pays off. :c1:
True.

I have 350 SuperMax Blue Diamond Titaniums, and probably 200 of the Blue Diamond Platinums, and now 200 Diamond Edges so I'll be OK. The SuperMaxs I've never had are the stainless models. I may grab some from the Blade Exchange.

True.

I have 350 SuperMax Blue Diamond Titaniums, and probably 200 of the Blue Diamond Platinums, and now 200 Diamond Edges so I'll be OK. The SuperMaxs I've never had are the stainless models. I may grab some from the Blade Exchange.
Please compare the three blades you have in your stash. I am curious of your thoughts.

Please compare the three blades you have in your stash. I am curious of your thoughts.
I'm pretty sure I like the Blue Diamond Titaniums over both the others, but I haven't done enough shaving with the new Diamond Edges to figure out where I land on them versus the Blue Diamond Platinums.

Another curveball is a have a SuperMax Titanium ( not Blue Diamond Titanium ) that I've recently come into possession of, but haven't used yet.

I'm pretty sure I like the Blue Diamond Titaniums over both the others, but I haven't done enough shaving with the new Diamond Edges to figure out where I land on them versus the Blue Diamond Platinums.

Another curveball is a have a SuperMax Titanium ( not Blue Diamond Titanium ) that I've recently come into possession of, but haven't used yet.
As every day passes, the supply of these dwindles! Keep us informed!

Top Bottom