What's new

What are the best Indian made blades?

Hello to all,

I have tried Super-Max blades only (Diamond and Super Platinum) and so for I am surprised by their quality.

I bought on a trip a tuck of Gillette 365 that I have to try.

Technically I can't find Indian blades in an affordable price. The shipping to my country would kill the deal. But I am curious.

What is the general consensus on Indian blade qualities?

Which one are considered as very good ones?

Cheers

Candidates probably include in no particular order and there won't be any consensus

• Astra Superior Platinum & Stainless
  • Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp
  • Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Regarding cost, no idea about your country, but on eBay, you can buy 1000 of the 7 O'Clock Permasharps shipped to the USA for about $75. Probably a bit less if you haggle with the seller. That is quite comparable to other viable alternatives we have in the USA market.

There are also surely various middle men that have imported Indian blades to Europe and maybe shipping is cheaper from them. Like Amazon or Razor Blades Club.

Last edited:
Some fantastic indian blades (YMMV):

SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium
SuperMax Blue Diamond platinum
Gillette - 7 O'Clock - super platinum
Gillette - 7 O'Clock - Permasharp Stainless
Gillette 365
Laser ultra
Laser super platinum
Winner platinum
Zorrik super platinum

• Astra Superior Platinum & Stainless

I know folks are mostly getting Astra Superior Platinums made in India, but are they getting Astra Superior Stainless made in India too? I just ordered a 100-pack and it was still from Russia.

Gillette Wilkinson Sword work well for me in several razors and they are quite inexpensive.

I know folks are mostly getting Astra Superior Platinums made in India, but are they getting Astra Superior Stainless made in India too? I just ordered a 100-pack and it was still from Russia.

Gillette Wilkinson Sword work well for me in several razors and they are quite inexpensive.
Member @ivan_101 indicated so in this post: Possibility of GSB (and other Russian blades) becoming harder to find? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/possibility-of-gsb-and-other-russian-blades-becoming-harder-to-find.648302/post-12548212

It makes sense to me. If you're moving production of the SPs to India, the SSs will follow too. I have ordered SPs from Amazon and received both Indian and Russian blades. As I understand it, lots belonging to sellers are co-mingled at the AMZ warehouses, so there is no surety in what you receive if buying the same item number. The Russian made blades will exhaust at some point, and all we'll get is Indian.

Member @ivan_101 indicated so in this post: Possibility of GSB (and other Russian blades) becoming harder to find? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/possibility-of-gsb-and-other-russian-blades-becoming-harder-to-find.648302/post-12548212

It makes sense to me. If you're moving production of the SPs to India, the SSs will follow too. I have ordered SPs from Amazon and received both Indian and Russian blades. As I understand it, lots belonging to sellers are co-mingled at the AMZ warehouses, so there is no surety in what you receive if buying the same item number. The Russian made blades will exhaust at some point, and all we'll get is Indian.
I already have a 100 pack SS from India.

I hope I am not offending people, but I wonder why Indian razor blades aren't as highly regarded as the Russian ones are. Articles about Gillette's products specifically mention the facial hair of Indian men tends to be dense and tough and so razor blades produced for them need to be super efficient and long lasting due to the average incomes there.

I'm very curious about Indian market (not meant for export) razor blades like Laser Ultra or Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp. It seems like they should be great blades for little money.

I guess I'll know soon personally for the Gillette. Some members here have called it mild which seems odd considering the remark I made above.

7oclockpermasharp.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with others that blades preferences are very specific to the individual. There's not a single blade I can think of where I've had very different opinions than others about the same blade, in either direction, or where some people seem to have very strong reactions one way and a large number of people have strong reactions the other way.

Having said that, I've had very good experiences with all the Indian blades I've tried. Super-Max are among my favorite blades from anywhere; my favorites have been the stainless blades but I also liked the platinum a lot. Zorrik was also very good for me, and I liked RK blades quite a bit as well.

I have some other types of Super-Max blades to try in my drawer but I keep getting good shaves out of my Timor blade so haven't had an opportunity to try them. But that's another story.

I hope I am not offending people, but I wonder why Indian razor blades aren't as highly regarded as the Russian ones are. Articles about Gillette's products specifically mention the facial hair of Indian men tends to be dense and tough and so razor blades produced for them need to be super efficient and long lasting due to the average incomes there.

I'm very curious about Indian market (not meant for export) razor blades like Laser Ultra or Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp. It seems like they should be great blades for little money.

I guess I'll know soon personally for the Gillette. Some members here have called it mild which seems odd considering the remark I made above.

View attachment 1785264
Wouldn't call 7 o'clock Permasharp a mild blade. It is very sharp. Have been using them for at least 16 years.

I agree with others that blades preferences are very specific to the individual. There's not a single blade I can think of where I've had very different opinions than others about the same blade, in either direction, or where some people seem to have very strong reactions one way and a large number of people have strong reactions the other way.
I don't have super coarse whiskers, so it is likely why I can use a wider variety of blades. I have noticed negative opinions from time to time about Treets, Lords/Sharks, Dorcos, etc. It's a bit surprising to me because the ones I have tried usually work more than fine for me.

YMMV is a truism here. Equally so is that pairing blades with complementary razors (for you) matters a lot.

To me:

Top Tier

Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinums
SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium

Next tier

Astra SP
Gillette & O'clock Permasharp
Gillette 365
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum
SuperMax Super Stainless
Zorrik Super Platinum
Laser Ultra

Still getting to know, but think are usable:

V12
Vertice Shave X Platinum

Hello to all,

I have tried Super-Max blades only (Diamond and Super Platinum) and so for I am surprised by their quality.

I bought on a trip a tuck of Gillette 365 that I have to try.

Technically I can't find Indian blades in an affordable price. The shipping to my country would kill the deal. But I am curious.

What is the general consensus on Indian blade qualities?

Which one are considered as very good ones?

Cheers

Interesting question, but there may have been some movement that is not adequately covered by up-to-date reviews yet.

Gillette seems to have moved production of at least some blades (e.g. Astra) from Russia to India and it will be interesting to see how these blades compare to the previously Russian made counterparts.

B.

I'm chompin' at the bit but decided to wait one more day. At least two day's growth always gives me a better sense of pulling and whatnot.

I heard these were good blades but trying to temper my expectations. I think they are made by the same company as the V12 but not sure.
I've tried a V12 and it did OK.

Top Bottom