Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'General Straight Razor Talk' started by wilbr11, Aug 20, 2014.

Any tips on honing? I have Shapton 1.5k for bevel, Naniwa 5k, 8k, 12k. Does it just take longer due to hard steel or is there something more to it?

1. Polarbeard

Polarbeard Contributor Ambassador

Those stones will do fine. Just take it slow and easy, but be prepared that it might take more time than you're used to.

2. Found this ERN seven day in the wild today for $25. It’s is the “Friday” razor as seen in the pics . The gold is pretty beat up but I still think it will be as good a shaver as my other ERN ! It has great tortoiseshell scales as well

A61954CA-7EC3-4D8F-96B7-683EC2A3BF0E.jpeg 25A5DAC9-AC49-485E-8497-6C7ECE43F4BC.jpeg

3. I love ERN razors.

4. Great find. Nice looking razor

5. Very nice! :thumbsup:

6. They are gorgeous and excellent shavers.

7. Just got this in the mail. It was one high on my list of must-haves. J. A. Henckels Friodur 72 1/2

8. Just shaved with one last night !!!! And what a shave !!!! Great razor , you’ll love it !

9. evnpar

evnpar Contributor

That's a beautiful Ern, and I knew that it would be a fine shaver. Congratulations.

My favorite Friodur. I love the size, weight, and grind. I consider it my workhouse razor, as I could shave with it daily under any conditions and it would perform well day after day. When I don't know which razor to use in the morning, I generally reach for my 72 1/2. Enjoy.

10. Polarbeard

Easy to hone, intuitive to use and renders great shaves.

11. 619BA410-5F32-41C6-8A1F-2F080918A7BF.jpeg My first vintage razor and the fist one with ivory scales. I absolutely like it.
    If somebody of you guys knows something more in detail about this kind of razor I am happy to read it.

12. Looks great, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. So I purchased a few straights today...now what do i do with them?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. Feel free to send them to me and I'll make sure they get the love and attention the so deserve.
    :drool:

But seriously, looks like a great haul. What now? Hone them up and shave, shave, shave.

15. If they are too much I might be pursued to take them off your hands. Lol. Nice haul.

16. Polarbeard

At this forum such a question only have one answer... I'll send you my address. I'd like to have the one in the right line, second row from the bottom, please.

17. Pay no attention to the above responders. A haul like that should be sent to me.

Superb Finds!

18. I am trying to decide which ones I should keep and try using. I have ZERO experience with straight razors and not real sure where to start. There is 1 that I can fin no information on at all...the bottom right. It is a Russell Barber Supply Co. Made in New Orleans.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. Nice score! They all look pretty good but if I had to choose one, I'd have to agree with Arne. I like the old ones.