What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Dovo No3 in 5/8 - Berigscher Lowe in horn scales
B00DEF72-87F0-4165-9A19-1414AC03A82F.jpeg

Here's a nice hefty Bengall. Before and after a few minutes on the bench.
View attachment 980586
View attachment 980587
Still needs just a little more.

Educate me a bit if you will. Most that I've seen are more ornate on the front side of the tang and have writing on the back including the location it was made. This one only has Bengall on it. Are they different or is this one just older? Also, are the ones made in Sweden market so? And anything else you care to share. Thanks
All Bengall razors were made in Sheffield. The ones sold in Sweden (1920-1939) were marked with the importer's brand name.

I've got one, trust me Boris you really need one. One bite of the apple can't hurt now can it?:em2100:

Exactly what I thought when I wanted to "try straight razors", but, well, you know how it went from there. :D :D :D

Arne ever since Boris got his Koraat razors everything is on the small side.....lol. :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

True, but if I had to pick only one size, it'd be 6/8. That said, Koraat's 8/8 near wedge has grown on me, I just needed a bit time to get used to "different".

Exactly what I thought when I wanted to "try straight razors", but, well, you know how it went from there. :D :D :D

True, but if I had to pick only one size, it'd be 6/8. That said, Koraat's 8/8 near wedge has grown on me, I just needed a bit time to get used to "different".
I hope that "different" doesn't mean that you're now lacking an earlobe or half the nose.

I hope that "different" doesn't mean that you're now lacking an earlobe or half the nose.

Ha, ha, fortunately no, nothing's missing (yet).
It's my first (and still my only one) near wedge and in addition to that it's 8/8 and just looks and feels massive (heavy too).

So, it's lacking a bit of the "feel/feedback" both, when stropping and shaving. It is less nimble than what you and I prefer in a straight razor. When you consider wicked edge Ulrik puts on his razors (combined with less feedback), this one took a bit of getting used to for me, but, no blood, none, just required a bit of adjustment. I get fantastic shave from it now, but first two were, a bit, uh, "reluctant" for the lack of a better word.

I just used my other Koraat this morning, bellied hollow 7/8 and they indeed are very different, but both great shavers.

@6Cuda6 said it the best, large wedges and full hollows, best described as "difference between pickup truck and sports car".

Great looking indeed, in person to me it looked a bit on a small side of 5/8, but really beautiful razor.

They are thinner in profile that other 5/8 razors with thin and flat scales. It is a very agile little number am I starting to enjoy more and more.

Picked up these three ducks( goldedge, satinedge and A-1 special ) in the same week for pretty cheap . I have to give a HUGE SHOUTOUT to NPV, nick really did some great restoring and polishing on these as well as honing them Into shave ready razors !!! He does some amazing work!!!

28E26D29-75C1-455C-ADD2-42A4AD17FFF1.jpeg

Top Bottom