What's new

SOTD " Frugal Shaving Gear Week” NOVEMBER 15th - November 21st, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOTD : 20th November 2021.

5.jpg

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Asda Pomegranate & Apple Extract Shower Gel.

Pre:
Cold wet flannel to my face.
Pears Transparent Bar Soap.
Brush:Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia Synthetic.
Bowl Lather.
Bowl: Home Bargains Stainless Steel Side Bowl.
Lather: Kiss My Face Peaceful Patchouli Shave Cream.
Blade: Treet 7 Days Platinum. (D1)
Razor: Parker 98r.

Cold water Face wash with brush squeezings, Cold Water Face Rinse. /Homemade (~Autumn/Winter mix~) peppermint lavender, eucalyptus, + Tea Tree essential Oils Mixed Together With 200ml of Care+Witch Hazel./ Pashana Original ASL./ L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

Greetings,

A new shave set up to start the weekend...It's been a while since i last used the KMF shave cream, it created a wonderful lather without drying out in between passes the post shave feeling from this shave cream is superb... The Treet 7 day platinum are another blade that pairs well with the Parker 98r... I forgot how smooth and sharp the Treet 7 days blades are...The characteristics of them are very like the Astra SP blade in sharpness, with a slightly sharper edge ,which can be a little rough on the first pass, like a lot of DE blades, but after that they mellow out...As always DE blade opinions are very subjective.

Yet again i had to rub my fingertips with a alum block inbetween each pass to stop the razor handle from slipping while shaving.

A pleasurable 2 pass + pick ups close comfortable shave with no errors to report...Finishing the shave off with a small dollop of L'0REAL Barber Club Reinforcing ASB.

My face is feeling super smooth & smelling divine. ;)

Stay safe, and enjoy the start of the weekend ladies & gentlemen. :cool:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
6DA3F38D-325F-492A-96DF-7CF4E79B0B3B.jpeg

1) England: Brush Progress Vulfix mixed Badger and Boar.
2) USA: Shaving Soap OZ Shaving 40 Crows Shaving Soap.
3) USA: Razor Gillette NDC Gold Ball End Tech.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Gillette Silver Blue.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
7) USA: EDT Vera Wang for men Cologne.

Sat 20 SR SOTD
Soap Stirling Iced Pineapple
Brush Yaqi 24mm Green Mink
Razor Thiers Le Grelot 6/8 - On Loan 1st Use!
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Lemon Chill + Stirling Iced Pineapple
Super nice lather from this soap! The scent is intoxicating, the lather is cooling, creamy & slick...awesome!
Trying for the 1st time an on-loan modern Thiers Le Grelot...beautiful looking, nice weight & balance with a smooth and comfortable edge honed on jnats. While the kind & generous owner showed how well the edge cuts through his whiskers (I was impressed)...he's in his 30s...my older whiskers say nope...:LOL::LOL: Managed in 3+1passes for a ccs result only. I have the owner's permission for this razor to go through the pasted balsa progression...yay! Let's see how tomorrow. Matching aftershave was great!
20211120_145804.jpg

Today was my first shave with it and it was quite excellent as expected from B&M. I have read different opinions on the scent, on my nose I get the fresh cut grass and popcorn smell more. Earthy and Sweet overall. I approve although my kids already asked why I went outside without them 😂

And yes TOTC has become my favourite vendor and also my wallet's worst enemy. The Balm is only 6 CAD(!) I bought two of them
I live in the GTA as well and until now I wasn’t aware of TOTC. It’s nice to know we have so many choices! Fendrihan and Italian Barber are my goto’s
Paul D

I live in the GTA as well and until now I wasn’t aware of TOTC. It’s nice to know we have so many choices! Fendrihan and Italian Barber are my goto’s
Paul D
The choices are amazing. All 3 have their own unique positives. IB and Fendrihan were all I knew since 2013 but my last six purchases have been from TOTC. I originally found them looking for a Canadian vendor of Martin De Candre and they carry alot of US artistan soaps that IB and Fend don't although they both have their own products they are well known for already.

SOTD - Saturday 20 November 2021

proxy.php

• Straight Razor: Saponificio Varesino / Thiers-Issard - Galileo Galilei - 7/8
  • Shaving Brush: Saponificio Varesino - Faux Turtle Shell - 2.0 - 26mm Fan (Manchurian Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Saponificio Varesino - Faux Turtle Shell
  • Shaving Soap: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina - Beta 4.2
  • After-Shave Splash: Saponificio Varesino - Stella Alpina

The choices are amazing. All 3 have their own unique positives. IB and Fendrihan were all I knew since 2013 but my last six purchases have been from TOTC. I originally found them looking for a Canadian vendor of Martin De Candre and they carry alot of US artistan soaps that IB and Fend don't although they both have their own products they are well known for already.
Thank you! I just took a look at their soaps and I see they carry the Southern Witchcraft soaps. I've been wanting to try them so now I know I can buy them here!

Saturday, November 20, 2021.

Floid oil pre shave. Meißner Tremonia: Strong’n Scottish: Shaving cream, lotion aftershave & balm aftershave. Bruji, CR1 XL Chubby, two bands badger, 28x50, exotic ebony wood. Thiers-Issard, "Fox and rooster", best Best Sheffield Silver Steel, stamina scales.

11D83D23-6622-45A2-A830-48E7EA27263C.jpeg

Shave of Day.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap/Cream
Klar Seifen Rasaiwerseife
Brush
Omega 81052
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
RR Stealth Slant
Blade
Lord SC
Aftershave
Thayers WH & L’Occitane ASB
Fragrance
Versace, The Dreamer
Rating
10/10
Comments
Second shave with the RR Stealth Slant and a Lord SC blade. The soap is the Klar Seifen Rasaiwerseife which I am using for the 158th time. It amazes me that this little tin of soap can produce so many quality shaves. The soap is an excellent value and I can recommend it to everyone. Have a great day, gents.

SOD Saturday November 20, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Green (43)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: Proraso Green Rinfrescante
Balm: Proraso Green Dopobarba
Have a great day!
IMG_8119.jpg

Friday Morning Luxury Shave

Razor: Henson Al13 (mild for the face, medium for the dome)
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar 3
View attachment 1365220

Not exactly a frugal shave, but I did purchase both before the price increase. Also frugal in that these are two of my "forever" razors that convince me that there is no need to look any further for excellent and pleasant shaving. My Henson mild had been out on loan since April and just found its way back home to me. I did not realize how very much I missed Ol' Blue. I am pleased to report an effortless BBS shave with no irritation at all. The Henson is truly a miracle razor for my skin. This is the absolute best face shave I have experienced for a while. Simple 3 pass face shave gave BBS with no need for touch ups at all in the usual places on the jawline and neck. Really amazing. Medium gave its standard BBS on the solar panel with 2 passes plus light touch up.
I've been shaving exclusively with my AL13 Mild since I purchased it. It's an amazing razor!

11/20/21 Shave of the Day
Face Wash with Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Hotel Cecil Argan Oil Body Soap - Homage to the Original Burma Shave
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Agharta Conditioning Shampoo Puck
Hendrix Classics & Co Unscented Shave Soap Enhanced with Badass Fragrance
Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
E. Weck & Co. Sextoblade Straight Razor - U.S. Navy Medical
Kismet Stainless Steel Razor Blades - 4th Shave
Lancaster Razor Works Tangerine Orange Black Sheep Shaving Towel
Phoenix Shaving No Slip Grip Alum Block
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Alum Block Dry Dock System
Thayers Alcohol Free Lavender Witch Hazel Toner with Aloe Vera
Hendrix Classics & Co Unscented Shave Balm Enhanced with Badass Fragrance
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Diver Down Natural Deodorant - Sport Strength - Homage to the Original Seaforth Spiced!​

B IMG_9910D.jpg

Today's story: I discovered a wonderful new soap thanks to @4and20blackbirds.

View attachment 1365202

Pre-shave: Warm water and Australian Natural Ocean Breeze soap
Brush: Stirling 26mm Kong synthetic
Lather: Goodfella's Smile Abysso
Razor/Blade: Wilkinson Sword TTO w/Astra SP (2)
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, Nivea post-shave balm, Kanøn Nordic Elements Water EdT

I've only had a handful of soaps that really wowed me on first usage. Stirling's Deep Blue Sea, Zingari Man's Navigator, and now Abysso. My experience was overwhelmingly positive: extreme slickness plus strong, cushiony lather, and one of the most distinctly attractive oceanic scents I've experienced (I really am an "Aquatic guy").

Abysso is marketed as "Scented with citrus, bergamot, pineapple, jasmine, ozone, moss, & more", but neither that nor the full description really distinguish this from the crowd of aquatic scents. The other soap I've used that it smells most like is A&E The Undersea, in that they are both very Ozone- and aqautic plant-forward, with other scents taking a back seat. However, while I found The Undersea's scent underwhelming and unsupported by secondary notes, Abysso has a beautifully complex bouquet of subtle fruit and herb hints. It's definitely a deep and complex scent, but it really does evoke a "bottom of the sea" atmosphere for me. Just great!
Great review, @djmillard! Glad you liked it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom