What's new

SOTD " Frugal Shaving Gear Week” NOVEMBER 15th - November 21st, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD Nov 19th 2021

Razor: Yaqi V2 Excalibur AC 50mm-Mfg 2021> great design for a tame mid range, small parts to handle, easy to roam the face. Very enjoyable razor for myself to use. You do have to adjust the top cap for alignment to the safety bar because they designed it this way because of issues with V1(No big deal for myself). Lay wash cloth to assemble & disassemble small parts.
Blade: Schick proline P30 (2) sharp & smooth blade with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Italian barber Amici, nice mild scent(grapefruit & other mild scents) + excellent lather qualities.(misted)
Brush: Yaqi 22mm, 2band badger- excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, designed to be a excellent scrubber, good lather painter. This little brush will surprize people who like scrubbing with short loft and knot density.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber AS with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion(balm) + scentless
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my Yaqi V2 Excalibur 50mm with a Schick P30.
SOTD, Nov 19, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

SOD Friday November 19, 2021
Ever wonder how many shaves in each tub or tube of Proraso? See below in the Lather report!

Brush: Simpson T3 Trafalgar
Bowl: Shave Nation
Pre shave: None
Lather: Proraso Green (42)
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Face WTG-XTG-ATG
Head WTG:XTG-ATG
Blade: Bolzano (1)
Razor: Gillette Styler
Lotion: Proraso Green Rinfrescante
Balm: Proraso Green Dopobarba
Have a great day!
IMG_8117.jpg

Friday Morning Luxury Shave

Razor: Henson Al13 (mild for the face, medium for the dome)
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar 3
IMG_20211119_082505921.jpg

Not exactly a frugal shave, but I did purchase both before the price increase. Also frugal in that these are two of my "forever" razors that convince me that there is no need to look any further for excellent and pleasant shaving. My Henson mild had been out on loan since April and just found its way back home to me. I did not realize how very much I missed Ol' Blue. I am pleased to report an effortless BBS shave with no irritation at all. The Henson is truly a miracle razor for my skin. This is the absolute best face shave I have experienced for a while. Simple 3 pass face shave gave BBS with no need for touch ups at all in the usual places on the jawline and neck. Really amazing. Medium gave its standard BBS on the solar panel with 2 passes plus light touch up.

Today's story: I discovered a wonderful new soap thanks to @4and20blackbirds.

20211119_091612.jpg

Pre-shave: Warm water and Australian Natural Ocean Breeze soap
Brush: Stirling 26mm Kong synthetic
Lather: Goodfella's Smile Abysso
Razor/Blade: Wilkinson Sword TTO w/Astra SP (2)
Aftershave: Cold water + alum, Nivea post-shave balm, Kanøn Nordic Elements Water EdT

I've only had a handful of soaps that really wowed me on first usage. Stirling's Deep Blue Sea, Zingari Man's Navigator, and now Abysso. My experience was overwhelmingly positive: extreme slickness plus strong, cushiony lather, and one of the most distinctly attractive oceanic scents I've experienced (I really am an "Aquatic guy").

Abysso is marketed as "Scented with citrus, bergamot, pineapple, jasmine, ozone, moss, & more", but neither that nor the full description really distinguish this from the crowd of aquatic scents. The other soap I've used that it smells most like is A&E The Undersea, in that they are both very Ozone- and aqautic plant-forward, with other scents taking a back seat. However, while I found The Undersea's scent underwhelming and unsupported by secondary notes, Abysso has a beautifully complex bouquet of subtle fruit and herb hints. It's definitely a deep and complex scent, but it really does evoke a "bottom of the sea" atmosphere for me. Just great!

20211119_164427-01.jpeg
SOTD #273/2021
19-11-2021

Preshave: shower, frigid tap water
Brush: custom Shavemac Silvertip Badger bulb
Soap: Mäurer and Wirtz ~ SIR IRISCH MOOS Shaving stick
Razor: Blackland Blackbird Stainless Steel Open Comb
Blade: Feather (1)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Aqua Creme.

Greetings,
It doesn't happen too often, but this was one of those shaves where all the shaving gear pieces fit together and made a perfect picture.

I effortlessly managed to create a smooth and cushiony lather (tallow Tabac like) that smelled absolutely fantastic, the passes with the combination of Blackbird and a fresh Feather blade were nothing but smooth and left my skin uber BBS - completely free of nicks or redness to my skin.
Only a slight burning sensation once I applied the aftershave.

Today’s shave was a clear candidate for the title "JAHE's finest shave of the year 2021". What a NICE shave!

Happy shaves!

Frugal Friday, November 19th frugal shave, three passes, 9/10, CCS- no mishaps or irritation.

For my frugal shave I pondered what to use, and decided to use some things available new now for reasonable prices. Like many I chose an ARKO stick- $1.25 each delivered. For the razor I wanted to choose a modern DE, as some might have issues with using vintage, so I chose a RR Lupo Al, $30. For my brush I chose a Zenith P2 boar, $10. The blade was a Dorco Prime, I have been using these this week in another razor, so the tuck was on the counter, 10 cents per blade. Since it's Friday, I chose classic Pinaud Clubman aftershave.

There are many shaving things that could be had at almost similar cost. For example, there are numerous boar brushes in the $10 range. Some very nice soaps at just a few dollars- La Toja, MWF, Tabac, Mogno, and some RR soaps. Lots of blades are $10 or less for 100 count. And, there are many very inexpensive aftershaves, Barbasol Brisk pops to mind. Here's my conservative cost analysis of today's shave:

RR Lupo $30/say good for 5 years or 1,500 shaves= 2 cents per shave
Dorcos Prime $.10/ 4 shaves= 2.5 cents per shave
ARKO stick $1.25/ say 125 shaves= 1 cent per shave
Zenith boar $10/ say good for three years or 1,000 shaves= 1 cent per shave
Clubman AS bottle- $5 for 6 oz./ good for 250 splashes= 2 cents per shave

From my take, $.085 a shave or ~$2.55 a month- about the price of one Gillette Cartridge. One interesting thought- the blade may end up being the most expensive part of a frugal DE shave, even at 10 cents each.

Now, as to the quality of the shave it was quite good, but not outstanding. I get more satisfying shaves with other software, but the cost is higher. I'm not a frugal shaver by choice. However, this was a fun exercise.

Enjoy your shaves and have a great weekend!

PXL_20211119_171518650.jpg

"Frugal(ish) Shaving Gear Week" SOTD
SOTD-W_2021-11-19.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Omega 10051 24/50 [$6]
Soap: Vitos Red [$2/100g]
Razor: 2020 Gillette Tech head [$2] on Phoenix El Fantasma handle [$10]
Blade: Personna Red (3) [10¢/blade]
ASL: Clubman Special Reserve [$4/50ml]
TOTAL COST NEW: $24.10

A very nice shave. :biggrin:
I enjoyed using my boar brush (after such a long time).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

InShot_20211119_181946570.jpg

Frugal Friday head shave

Preshave: RazoRock Charcoal Lime Pre Shave Soap in shower +Proraso Red Preshave cream

Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V4

Blade: Voskhod (2)

Brush: Omega 10066

Lather: Barrister and Mann DIAMOND Shaving Soap

Postshave: Osma Alum Block

Aftershave: Barrister and Mann DIAMOND Splash/Balm

*Notes* I bought the entire Diamond set for 60 percent off..that qualifies as Frugal right?

View attachment 1365375

Frugal Friday head shave

Preshave: RazoRock Charcoal Lime Pre Shave Soap in shower +Proraso Red Preshave cream

Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V4

Blade: Voskhod (2)

Brush: Omega 10066

Lather: Barrister and Mann DIAMOND Shaving Soap

Postshave: Osma Alum Block

Aftershave: Barrister and Mann DIAMOND Splash/Balm

*Notes* I bought the entire Diamond set for 60 percent off..that qualifies as Frugal right?
As an assistant’s assistant to an assisant moderator and creator of the thread… I shall allow it. 🤪

How is Diamond BTW? I was about to buy the set from TOTC but have too much soap and splashes as it is. I am also getting bored of Petrichor earthy scents. As you are from Toronto, I am assuming you bought it from them….

As the assistant’s assistant to an assisant moderator and creator of the thread… I shall allow it. 🤪

How is Diamond BTW? I was about to buy the set from TOTC but have too much soap and splashes as it is. I am also getting bored of Petrichor earthy scents. As you are from Toronto, I am assuming you bought it from them….
Today was my first shave with it and it was quite excellent as expected from B&M. I have read different opinions on the scent, on my nose I get the fresh cut grass and popcorn smell more. Earthy and Sweet overall. I approve although my kids already asked why I went outside without them 😂

And yes TOTC has become my favourite vendor and also my wallet's worst enemy. The Balm is only 6 CAD(!) I bought two of them

Today was my first shave with it and it was quite excellent as expected from B&M. I have read different opinions on the scent, on my nose I get the fresh cut grass and popcorn smell more. Earthy and Sweet overall. I approve although my kids already asked why I went outside without them 😂

And yes TOTC has become my favourite vendor and also my wallet's worst enemy. The Balm is only 6 CAD(!) I bought two of them
Carm is great to deal with. I am in Whitby and haven‘t waited more than 3 days for a delivery yet and I have placed dozens of orders. Usually 2 days and sometimes the next day. My go to vendor for sure. 👍

Saturday SOTD

[IMG]

Razor: OneBlade Core
Blade: Feather FHS (D6)
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 2-band 26mm
Scuttle: TheMudPlace Big Daddy Oiled Mahogany
Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGLO Lime
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Unscented
Shave Soap: Catie's Bubbles Bailey's Irish Coffee
Balm: Saponificio Varesino Puro Burro di Karitè
Aftershave: Small Batch Shave Tonic

Best Shave Of The Year!!!

Razor:
Fatip Grande Chrome Open Comb - modern classic excels
Blade: Feather (1) - legendary blade lives up to the hype
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express Synthetic 24mm - a great brush!!!
Soap: Dr. Jon’s Runaway Vegan Shaving Soap - it Rocks!!!
Aftershave: Thayers Rose Petal WH, Pacific Shaving Co. Caffeinated Aftershave Balm
Growth: 73 hours
Passes: WTG, XTG, ATG, cleanup
Rating: 10/10

First time use for this shave gear except the A/S.

I had a cold water, bowl lathered, 3 pass BBS result. Great shave! Best Shave of the Year!!!

Hat tip to @Messygoon for his generous PIF. Thank you!

IMG_20211119_115118274.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom