What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" October 10th - October 16th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the shave went so well, JC. Looks like you have a real winning combination.

Thanks Ron. You're right, but who would have thought. Like previously stated, I always thought the Wilkis were rough. Goes to show that you need to revisit some blades again... I almost gave mine away.

What a way to start the week! A wealth of excellent photos and verbal posts have graced these pages today. Thanks for each one, gentlemen.

The variety of our SOTDs is extraordinary. Your creativity is endless.

@skypsyd - Another dramatic razor shot, Dave. Nice low key colors.

Thanks Ron

Tuesday's Shave 10.11.16
Shower + Musgo Glyce face lather &rinse

Wade & Butcher Frame Back
Shavemac Colonia No 1
First Canadian "Barbershop Taper Fade" shave soap
Penhaligon's Juniper Sling
Cuba Blue EdP

proxy.php

Have a good day Gentlemen

@Loei - Nice angle to your shot. A "cool" looking shave.

Thank you.

I've actually been wondering how all you guys get those nice photos with a background in one single color, or somewhere out in the bushes.
Do you really take pictures outside and have picture boxes with a single color?

If you edit your photos to look like this, how do you guys do so?

proxy.php

Pre-Shave: Cyprusian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor 1st-2nd pass: Weck Sextoblade
Razor 3rd pass: Weber PH UFO Titan L
Blade 1st-2nd pass: Personna Hairshaper (6)
Blade 3rd pass: Ladas (1)
Brush: Nathan Clark Envy White
Soap: Mystic Water Bergamot, Cedarwood & Juniper
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thanks for your great pictures gentlemen - I hope you all have a fantastic Tuesday :thumbup:

SOTD - Tuesday, 11 October, 2016 - Stirling Blu

Prep:
hot shower, Stirling Gentleman
Pre-shave: Baume.be Preshave Gel, hot towel
Strop: 3” Premium Red Latigo strop, CrOx sprayed hard felt strop from SRD
Razor: C.V. Heljestrand Mk 31”
Soap: Stirling Blu
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: The Shaving Place mountain blue lather bowl
Post-shave: alum, cold towel, Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Stirling Blu
Fragrance: Polo Blue EdP by Ralph Lauren
Album of the Day: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – Greatest Hits
Song of the Day: Running Down A Dream
$SOTD20161011.jpg
Another great shave from the swedish lady! Have a great Tuesday everyone!

SOTD 11 October 2016
Year 1 Week 11 Day 2

Saponificio Varesino October day 11. A king shave. Not feeling like a king probably more like a god.

proxy.php

Have a wonderful shave and a fresh day to all gents!

What a way to start the week! A wealth of excellent photos and verbal posts have graced these pages today. Thanks for each one, gentlemen.

The variety of our SOTDs is extraordinary. Your creativity is endless.

@Hanover - That is a delicious picture, Mark. Too bad the soap and a/s don't do well as edibles.
:laugh:.......Thanks Ron

Thank you.

I've actually been wondering how all you guys get those nice photos with a background in one single color, or somewhere out in the bushes.

There are several ways to accomplish single solid color background for photographs. Me personally, I just use colored art paper which works great. Diffuse your light source is most important. Clouds do it naturally for the sun or you can get some tracing paper and put in front of a daylight balanced bulb.
Or cheapie lighting boxes can do all this for you. You can build a poor man's light box too. Processing photos, Again, several ways for this. I use Lightroom.
Good luck.

There are several ways to accomplish single solid color background for photographs. Me personally, I just use colored art paper which works great. Diffuse your light source is most important. Clouds do it naturally for the sun or you can get some tracing paper and put in front of a daylight balanced bulb.
Or cheapie lighting boxes can do all this for you. You can build a poor man's light box too. Processing photos, Again, several ways for this. I use Lightroom.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply.
I just take simple smartphone shots in my bathroom, so the results you guys all get will not be within my reach. :a28:

Tuesday Shave

OCtober 11th

Razor: Ever-Ready 1914
Brush: Rudy Vey in Finest
Cream: C.O. Bigelow/KMF superlather
AS: Proraso Green

After taping the spine to prevent blade chatter (thank you to the SE community) the 1914 is transformed into a fantastic shaver!

proxy.php

Thank you.

I don't have the skills a lot of these guys do, but I do use a homemade light box and sometimes outside shots. Here's a behind-the-scenes shot of the light box made with foam board and tissue paper, and held together with white duct tape: http://imgur.com/a/M5vcC (If/when it comes time to rebuild it, I'll use muslin instead of tissue paper. The muslin will provide a natural warmer filter and is obviously more durable.) Here's the video that influenced it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

The outside shots are just that. Find a cool place with good lighting and shoot away. Living out in the woods makes this easy as I have beautiful views all around me.

My camera is nothing special. Just a cell phone camera.

The SOTD pics is an off-shoot of the wet shaving hobby. Some of us concentrate on the composition while others focus on the gear. Both are interesting aspects, but I admit, I do at times feel silly going outside to arrange my gear for a pic.

At either rate, I appreciate all the pics. Some for the composition and artistic talent, and some simply for the gear, content, and choices made for the shave.

I don't have the skills a lot of these guys do, but I do use a homemade light box and sometimes outside shots. Here's a behind-the-scenes shot of the light box made with foam board and tissue paper, and held together with white duct tape: http://imgur.com/a/M5vcC (If/when it comes time to rebuild it, I'll use muslin instead of tissue paper. The muslin will provide a natural warmer filter and is obviously more durable.) Here's the video that influenced it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

The outside shots are just that. Find a cool place with good lighting and shoot away. Living out in the woods makes this easy as I have beautiful views all around me.

My camera is nothing special. Just a cell phone camera.

The SOTD pics is an off-shoot of the wet shaving hobby. Some of us concentrate on the composition while others focus on the gear. Both are interesting aspects, but I admit, I do at times feel silly going outside to arrange my gear for a pic.

At either rate, I appreciate all the pics. Some for the composition and artistic talent, and some simply for the gear, content, and choices made for the shave.

Thank you for the information Matt.
Just by your picture you gave me an idea to lift my SOTD pics to a higher level without a lot of effort I think.

Sadly, I nicked myself under my nose yesterday, so you will have to wait a few days for another SOTD pic. :D

Thanks!

SOTD October 11, 2016

Pre: Proraso green preshave cream
Razor: Wm. Elliot & Co.
Brush: Vie Long
Soap: GFT Coconut

$O11.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom