What's new

💎 💎 💎 SOTD - “Unknown Gems" Theme Week - May 20th-26th, 2024 💎 💎 💎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello B&Bers!

This week’s SOTD Theme is “Unknown Gems”.

We want to see your unknown or little known shaving gear that you think should receive more attention. Show us and tell us all about what you use and like that should be better known on B&B. Soaps, aftershaves, colognes, razors, blades, brushes and any other wetshaving accessories. Regional items that aren’t widely available are also encouraged!

We want to see pics that include your more obscure shaving items!

Nothing SE themed? Please still post a pic of your usual shaving setups. Or post pics of your usual SOTD or just tell us all about it. Let’s see lots of themed posts this week!

As always, the weekly themes are just a suggestion, but being creative and having fun IS mandatory. We encourage you to post or shoot photos of your Shave Gear of the Day regardless of the theme as sticking with the theme is NOT mandatory but encouraged.

Let’s see your Unknown Gems!

Menthol Monday SOTD
20240519_150630 (2).jpg

Razor: Jurgen Hempel Jarwin
Blade: SuperMax Sunrise (D1)
Brush: Korn D7 With Epsilon 27mm
Bowl: Junichi Tanaka 5"
Pre-Shave Scrub: PAA Ice Cube 2
Pre-Shave Balm: GroomingDept Eucalyptus & Spearmint
Shave Soap: Wm. Neumann Absolute Zero
Balm: Nancy Boy Cooling
Aftershave: Neumann Absolute Zero

IMG_6788.jpeg

Monday, May 20, 2024

Pre-shave: cold water splash/YBN Glycerin
Razor: DSC AX Ti (1.55mm)
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond
Brush: Mühle Silvertip Badger Ebonite
Bowl: DSC scuttle
Soap: Southern Witchcrafts- Desairology
A/S: Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve
Aftercare: Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented / Aloe Vera Gel
EdP: Tom Ford - Oud Wood

Third shave with the AX Ti razor and I’m in shaving heaven. Effortless BBS in two passes WTG with touchups.

Not many unknown gems in today’s setup, but maybe a couple hidden gems. The AX Ti is definitely in this category and I dare say that the Suneko blade is truly a hidden gem. I was a bit apprehensive of this blade at first but as I shave along and use them more, they are slowly entering my top ten list of amazing DE blades.

Have a great week everybody.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
IMG_1884.jpeg

1) Italy: Brush Omega 10777 Boar.
2) Italy: Shaving Soap Proraso Green Tub.
3) England: Razor Gillette Four Piece Tech.
4) Russia: Razor Blade Voskhod.
5) France: Alum Block Osma.
6) Germany: Aftershave Balm Nivea Men Sensitive Post Shave Balm.
7) Spain: EDT Nautica Classic.

Date20.05.2024
366 daily shaves
141/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackbird SS polished 💎Gillette Nacet (1)Razorock 400 Butterscotch 💎
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Hampshire Wool Fat (7) 💎Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)4/10 (Sharp Edge)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9.25/10
(BBS+)
9/10 (Buttery Smooth)

Notes:

Monday’s shave was spectacular. Super close and comfortable.

Extended shave notes can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

A SOD.jpg

Pre-Shave
Face wash with Cera Ve Face Soap
Soap/Cream
Haslinger Sandelholz Rasierseife Beruhigend (tallow formula)
Brush
Shavemac 177 Silvertip Badger
Bowl
Captains Choice Copper
Razor
Henson AL13++
Blade
Feather
Aftershave
Thayers WH & Duke Cannon ASB
Fragrance
Beverly Hills, Polo Club
Rating
10/10
Comments
This was the third consecutive shave with my Henson AL I3 ++ and Feather blade. Once again, the shave was close and smooth. The Feather blade is holding up nicely. It’s back to the natural hair brushes. The Shavemac 177 was the first Shavemac brush I purchased. The Haslinger tallow soap made excellent lather. This was the 22nd consecutive day I used the soap. The shave was perfect. Have a wonderful day, folks.

Nothing SE themed?
Single-edge?

1716211089714.png

Bengall Single-Edged Straight Razor
Dunhill Edition EDT
Eucalyptus-Sage Splash
Eufros Boreal (lavender, mint)
Mohawk Boar

Eufros doesn't seem to be the commonest soap out there. One account holds that the maker has been a mentor to Jose of Los Jabones de Joserra. Boreal (not very boreal to my nose, but very good) is scented very much along the lines of Brihuega by LJdJ . . . close enough for redundancy, imo. Fortunately for me, this DNA seems hot-climate friendly . . . and hot climate is what we mostly have in Texas.

Monday
Pre-shave: Kiehl’s Facial Fuel /Cremo Sandalwood
Razor: OREN
Blade: KAI Captain Titan Mild ProTouch MG
Brush: DS Cosmetic Ken Surfs 2020 Limited Edition 2-band
Soap: Mama Bear’s Aged Spice
Aftershave: Alum/ Kiehl’s Blue Astringent Herbal Lotion/Floid Blue
Balm: Neutrogena Hydro Boost

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
GEMonday, May 20th 2024

Razor : Gem Junior bar lather catcher with stropping attachment inside handle. Mfg 1907-11, mild to tame mid range. A very nice Gem lather catcher that most folks could use with not much issues IMO. They are built well and where used a lot by folks who loved the way they shaved are my thoughts for that time period. Make sure blade stops are in good shape if you come across one in the wild. This little razor has brought a lot of decent shaving and caught my interests early in my wonderings into traditional wet shaving. One of my better buys IMO. Had a close comfortable shave this morning to start the day off.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (2) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : Razorock XXX, very enjoyable unique scented soap that has excellent lather properties.
Brush : Yaqi "Ferrari" 24mm boar bristle knot. Excellent lather generator, soft split end boar bristle hairs, nice splay scrubber + great lather painter.

Scuttle: My wife picked this up at a estate sale and it is interesting shaving oddity when looking and using it but it is not for my preferences to use in my shaving routine. This is what they used back well over 100 years ago and soap bars where smaller and they would soak the (Boar) brush in the bottom part and dip tips for needed water for thinner lather wants in this little scuttle and operator would brush load the from the top are also my thoughts.
I think the person who designed it must of had a full grown beard and did not think what a person shaving needs where. Back then in those times brush knots where smaller and water was usually drawn from the well, are my thinking and water warmed up on the cooking stove kettle and poured in side the vessel.
Hot water tanks where not available and only the rich might have some way of hot water availably with maids or butlers serving them??
So I had to give it a try and see how practical these scuttles where back around the 1800's- 1900's. Todays scuttles are larger and more practical because we have running hot water plumped in to most homes. Any ways just sharing some thoughts from the past shaving products.

Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Razorock XXX with with hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : Dial 9.5.jpg or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Had a close comfortable shave this morning with my Gem Junior bar razor with a coated Gem bar.
SOTD May 20 2024.jpg

Have some great shaves!

If I have it most on here would know of it. I’m not skilled enough to find a gem that is unknown. Perhaps the closest I come is the Cooper & French soaps. Good lather, protective and comfortable. The Fresh Start is a great smelling vetiver soap.

Razor: Gem Junior
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (3)
Brush: Yaqi Atlantis
Bowl: Captain’s Choice
Soap: Cooper & French Fresh Start
Aftershave: Bootleggers Green Freeze

IMG_3596.jpeg

May 20, 2024 Monday shave

Razor: The Razor Company aluminum, AKA Simple Clean Shave w/shortened Razorock Titanium handle
Blade: Suneko Amorphous Diamond Super Stainless (4)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Silvertip badger (8)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

The TRC razor continues to give great, close and pleasant shaves. No weepers, etc. and no irritation.
The Suneko blade has been excellent.

SOTD 05_20_24.jpg

Tonight's Shave Honors Amelia Earhart

1716225441031.png

May 20, 1932: Amelia Earhart departs Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in her Lockheed Vega on her solo nonstop flight across the Atlantic. On May 20-21, 1932, Earhart became the first woman—and the only person since Charles Lindbergh—to fly nonstop and alone across the Atlantic. Flying her red Lockheed Vega (now on display in the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum), she left Harbor Grace, Newfoundland, Canada, and landed 15 hours later near Londonderry, Northern Ireland.

Strong winds and icy conditions posed significant threats to Earhart's flight. She had to navigate through turbulent air and avoid ice buildup on her wings, which could have jeopardized her safety. After flying for over 14 hours alone, Earhart experienced fatigue and disorientation. She had to rely on her instincts and limited navigation tools to stay on course and avoid potential hazards. Due to strong winds and low fuel, Earhart could not reach her intended destination in Paris. Instead, she landed unplanned in a farmer's field in Culmore, Northern Ireland.

Finding "unknown gems" with an Irish theme (and a little French) is tough, so for tonights shave I have:

Pre-Shave: Shower, Ach Brito Glyce Classic
Soap: Irish Countryside by Razorock RazoRock Irish Countryside is a shaving cream soap and aftershave splash inspired by Creed's Green Irish Tweed perfume. The soap is made with a Super Tallow Formula that includes tallow, shea butter, argan oil, aloe vera, and lanolin.
Brush: Waterford Crystal Shaving Brush Waterford Crystal shaving brushes are made in Ireland and have natural bristles and a hand-cut crystal handle. They are available in badger hair and measure 4.5 inches high with a 2-inch diameter base. Overall, it's not a very good brush with the added benefit of shattering if you ever drop it… (I just wanted something Irish in my collection for all my time there).
Bowl: Tinned Copper Chiseled Embroidery Mug Handmade, medieval Celtic motif (sort of).
Razor: Swordedge Heavy Duty Cheadle Slant Gold Because I don’t have an Irish-made razor in the collection, I chose a British one (close enough) that is less known. Cheadle is an English habitational name that comes from the Celtic word cēd, meaning "wood," and the Old English word lēah, meaning "woodland clearing." Swordedge is an Independent, family-owned business based in the UK supplying a selection of shaving equipment and scissors, and surgical instruments. They are different – from their website – “Handle made of stainless steel. Weighs 150 grams which can assure you about its high quality. Not many sellers talk about the weight but we are because we are making quality products.” Home Page - https://swordedge.co.uk/
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless/Silver Blue To recognize her intended destination of Paris, I chose these. Silver Blues were made in France in the mid-20th century and can still be found as new old stock (NOS) in some online stores or on auction sites like eBay. They are known for their smooth and comfortable shaves. Unfortunately, these are the Russian versions.
Aftershave: Irish Countryside by Razorock The aftershave splash contains tetrasodium EDTA, citronellol, limonene, and linalool.
Fragrance Irish Countryside is inspired by the famous CREED Green Irish Tweed. It features fresh dirt, springtime leafy trees, and hints of grass (not freshly mowed).

20240520_130422.jpg

First pass with Panasonic Washable Beard Trimmer
Preshave: shower and soak with St Johns Vetiver Bar Soap
Brush: Shavemac 24 mm / 54 mm bulb two band silvertip DO1 in Copper Canyon
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Razor: Wolfman WR2 1.25 SB / @Rosseforp GTB 19.2 gram handle
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless The Spoiler F4 Unsure of the date 1985 maybe made in the USA (1)
Splash: Catie's Bubbles Un Jour Gris
Frag: St Johns Vetiver Cologne

DFS+ 9.7 on neck face BBS.

First pass was the 17th on the previous Spoiler. It was very rough and I got a few nicks. Midway through I changed out for a fresh blade and relathered my neck for a blissful rest of my N-S first pass. So much better. First Martin de Candre Monday in a while. Perfect lather and the DO1 did a great job. I don't remember if I added menthol to Un Jour Gris or not, but, it was nice and frosty. I use St Johns Vetiver soap every day, but, this is the first day in a while that I have used the cologne. Very pleasant scent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom