What's new

Some Thoughts on Cat Urine (and The Veg)

I put some Veg in glass, I was still able to pick up on the musky note/accord that alludes to having a bit of the synthetic civet in it. i can pick up on that note (or similar notes) in a number of frags actually.

I don't think Veg smells like cat ****, or urine. There is something there, a tinge of something in there that I do not warm up to.

What I find is that the process of decanting takes some of the 'bite' off the opening, but that's about it for me. I do think the bottle has an odor, like any plastic. But the smell is plasticky - not uriney. I really do not believe that the liquid is actually absorbing that 'outgass' smell - I think it's just 'there', and not 'in' the liquid. I think the plastic smell goes away because the plastic bottle goes away, not because of a re-release of outgassed or leeched molecules coming out of a tainted aftershave because it is now in glass. But the musk thing is still there, regardless of the container.

Whatever, I still decant Clubman frags into glass, mostly because I prefer my barber's bottle over the cheap squeezy condiment container the stuff comes in.

FWIW - way back, waaaay way back, like in the 1800s way back - 'Vegetals' were born as floral 'toilette waters' that were doctored by adding ingredients like Civet and glycerine; apparently these concoctions were intended for use by barbers. With some google fu, the old recipes/formulas can be found via google. So, having civet in the heart of a 'Vegetal' isn't new, but I'm guessing the original formulas that relied on the natural stuff, as opposed to the synthetic versions used now, were much different.

Top Bottom