What's new

Softer Japanese Naturals are for Razors too.

I believe the kanji for friend (tomodachi) uses

友 (companion, friend, etc)

rather than

共 (together, same, equal, etc)

Friend - Thats the way I've understood it.
Not so long ago there was a rather agitated member refuting that though.
But - thats to be expected I guess.

I tried soooo many soft stones coticules etchers all Eu stones US stones and more.
But my skin is just too bad for softer stones edges i get rash very quick. I have psoriasis so i can not just take razor honed on hakka and start to shave :( Coticule was not good for me either, and believe me i really tried ! I love coticules and how they work i really wish i could shave from them :D
I don't get why a coticule edge doesn't suit ? I too have sensitive skin but the coti is ultimate edge for me ,I do have a Ozuku ++ too and like others can get to great edges with just the tommo, my beard is quite tough and thick also. My coticule edge is as good as any edge I can put with the Ozuku ++ with tommo or with full nagura progression.

Mark

I don't get why a coticule edge doesn't suit ? I too have sensitive skin but the coti is ultimate edge for me ,I do have a Ozuku ++ too and like others can get to great edges with just the tommo, my beard is quite tough and thick also. My coticule edge is as good as any edge I can put with the Ozuku ++ with tommo or with full nagura progression.

Mark

I don't like coticule edges but as far as eschers and others go I have no problem.

Was that me?
I don't remember it. Maybe I was drunk?
I can't say I've ever seen a stone stamped tomonagura, so I don't know for sure what kanji it uses, but from references online it seems that it uses 共.

Was that me?
I don't remember it. Maybe I was drunk?
I can't say I've ever seen a stone stamped tomonagura, so I don't know for sure what kanji it uses, but from references online it seems that it uses 共.

wasnt you - in fact , you put the issue to rest with a few words about a cat named Tomo or something.

Three observations, one question:

1. As a noob to razors, I'm 'finishing' my razors with everything I can get my hands on. Thus far, I've gotten my sharpest with a 'softer' and very old jnat of uncertain provenance. I've been assuming that's because I haven't yet developed the requisite feather touch to get the most out of my hard jnat.
2. As a very experienced sharpener of other 'edge tools', I get my best edges from a 'softer' but 'very fine' hideriyama. These edges are better than I get with 1/4 micron diamond film.
3. There's an ocean of conjecture about 'what happens', backed by very little available 'controlled experiment' fact. I find this disturbing.

Those probably don't add much to the conversation, but I wanted to log the observation.

Question: has anyone taken a piece of 'good' jnat, say a tomonagura, pulverized it to powder and then isolated the 'abrasive' fraction? Perhaps by spinning it down?

I believe the tests in the early 80s in Japan did isolate the abrasive content from a large number of Jnats.
Abrasive particle size spread was 2-3µm in all cases.

I was messing around today on my nakayama asagi mizu and ozuku asagi. The asagi mizu was bought at 5+ hardness but it less than that and certainly much softer than the ozuku. Anyway I have a contaminated paddle strop that leaves fine scratch marks when you use it. I ran a previously shaving edge on it to set the scratches in. The only way to remove them with the ozuku was atoma slurry even botan didn't do it. The mizu was able to remove them with a tenjou nagura. So to finish on the ozuku properly will take considerably more time or at least
an atoma slurry to get you there. And from the atoma slurry to finish is a loooong time as botan isn't capable of removing very light scratches with that stone. So today I decided to use moderate to heavy pressure and see where I end up and since the slurry broke fast I refreshed each one again. So moderate atoma slurry once(it removed the scratches), 2 moderate botans, tenjou, koma and tomos. HHT with some palm stropping passed. I did 30 webbing and 60 black latigo and ended with hht 4. SHave tomorrow. I am not sure what I will end up with but I will let you know. My reasoning for the pressure is to increase abrasion. Since the stone is slow, more pressure would increase the speed of cutting. I had no microchips from this. Ended the tomo with slight slurry which was rather dark but not dry. Im looking for a good reason that the moderate to heavy pressure is a bad idea with a very hard and slow stone. My previous results with this stone were good but sloooooow. Its one I am looking to either sell or put on the shelf as the time factor the way it is is unacceptable. The method I used today was about half the normal time as the slurry broke fast. BTW the bevel was not distorted by the extra pressure.

Last edited:
Buca,

I too have been experimenting with A: Lighter slurry and B: More pressure. I honed 2 razors today on my Nakayama Tomae Asagi. I did Botan-Tenjou-Mejiro-Koma-DMT Slurry. In both situations, I used a considerable amount of pressure during Botan, Tenjou and even Mejiro a bit...I found that the increased pressure & slightly thinner slurry helped it to break down quicker & more evenly, and the edges I ended up with were spot on....The Tomae Asagi is not overly hard (About LV 5), but it seems to respond well to increased pressure in this case.....

I think maybe that dmt slurry as the finisher may be the one that makes the difference. The dmt slurry cuts much faster than the tomo. It takes me like 100 rubs to get a decent slurry with the tomo I have. Very hard, the both of them. Ive been thinking lately the dmt was too coarse but it may be what is needed to get something from these hard stones.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
A diamond plate can indeed tame those hard stones. It makes my hard Ozuku actually usable versus the 100 rubs to get a slurry. I do think slurry from the tomo is a little finer at least initially, maybe the slurry gets broken down a bit by the stones rubbing together that you don't get with the plate? Not a head turning difference though, and on that Ozuku and a suita I have, I'll take the plate thank you.

Cheers, Steve

Top Bottom