What's new

Slantember (Used to be September) Is For Slants! | Version 4 | 2021

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hi, in terms of efficiency, which (slant/ non slanted) razor in your (former) posession would be comparable to the ATT S2 plate?

@all:
Can anyone out there compare the efficiency level of the ATT S2 with RR German 37 or FOCS? Asking those who have used both. 😉

PS I'm focusing on the level of the efficiency of the S2, but not aggressiveness. These terms sometimes get mixed.

Thx and sorry for raising a slightly off topic question.

I'm not entirely sure I can answer your question even to my own satisfaction, but perhaps I can take a stab at most of it.

To begin with I don't have the RR German 37, so that's out.

Here's my little summary post from the first Slantember during which much was said about the S2.

I should mention I've used the S2 a lot over time, but not recently. Here's a list of some of my shaves where I mentioned it in terms of efficiency.

In Slantember 2020 I compared the FOCS with several slants including the S2. Here's a summary post. I liked the FOCS better, as you'll see here.

The FOCS is plenty efficient; the ATT S2 might be a bit more efficient. Not a whole lot. "Might be a bit more."

The FOCS is smoother feeling on my skin and a bit easier to use than the S2. In my view, both are effective slants but I enjoy the FOCS more. Indeed, the FOCS is hard to beat by any standard when it comes to the shave and shave experience it delivers.

I try to never use the word aggressive without making it clear what I'm talking about. Efficient and aggressive are not interchangeable words, not synonyms.

Just for the record, if you can tame it, or don't mind it biting you on occasion, the Wunderbar probably leads the slant pack as a smooth feeling and very efficient slant. It's not easy to learn or use like the FOCS though.

Of course all of this is just my opinion but it's based on experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure I can answer your question even to my own satisfaction, but perhaps I can take a stab at most of it.

To begin with I don't have the RR German 37, so that's out.

Here's my little summary post from the first Slantember during which much was said about the S2.

I should mention I've used the S2 a lot over time, but not recently. Here's a list of some of my shaves where I mentioned it in terms of efficiency.

In Slantember 2020 I compared the FOCS with several slants including the S2. Here's a summary post. I liked the FOCS better, as you'll see here.

The FOCS is plenty efficient; the ATT S2 might be a bit more efficient. Not a whole lot. "Might be a bit more."

The FOCS is smoother feeling on my skin and a bit easier to use than the S2. In my view, both are effective slants but I enjoy the FOCS more. Indeed, the FOCS is hard to beat by any standard when it comes to the shave and shave experience it delivers.

I try to never use the word aggressive without making it clear what I'm talking about. Efficient and aggressive are not interchangeable words, not synonyms.

Just for the record, if you can tame it, or don't mind it biting you on occasion, the Wunderbar probably leads the slant pack as a smooth feeling and very efficient slant. It's not easy to learn or use like the FOCS though.

Of course all of this is just my opinion but it's based on experience.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim,
thank you for putting this information together. I will take a close look at it. Thank you for your efforts! Very appreciated! :ouch1::thumbup:

Have a great Saturday!

I fully agree with this statement. I know you always try to choose your words carefully when it comes to describing the character of a razor (and you do!). The same goes for @Contact_vs_Feedback .

But others may not. That's why I wanted to bring it to the attention of those who (unintentionally) don't.

Thank you guys for your input!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Slantember, 4th, Sat, 2021

Razor: Razorock German37 slant, excellent mid range, I have to adjust the blade a little to the top cap, excellent results + 1st razor to get a true BBS yrs ago when I first started traditional wet shaving. Very efficient razor with easy handling.
Blade: Gillette Astra SP(3) excellent blade, sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice scent with vanilla & light tobacco + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Moka express 26mm 2 band badger, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft feel, nice scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush(dedicated cashmere syn) wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a clear dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea with HA.
Results: CCS, DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: excellent shave with my RR German 37 slant with a Astra SS blade.
SOTD,  Sep 4th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Not shaving today. Didn't shave yesterday. My skin had three areas of damage. It is healing. The long weekend gives me the perfect opportunity to skip a few shaves in my skin's favor.

9-4-21.SlantemberSlants.4.640.JPG

I've used the gold FOCS once this month. The other three are waiting in the wings.
  • iKon X3 with NY Tibam Ti handle
  • RazoRock Wunderbar with Timeless Ti Crown handle
  • ATT S2 with Timeless Ti Spiral handle
A couple of other slants may or may not make appearances this month.

My skin is appreciative of your patience as you eagerly await my shaves.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Hi, in terms of efficiency, which (slant/ non slanted) razor in your (former) posession would be comparable to the ATT S2 plate?

None of them. The S2 is my Grail Razor.

@all:Can anyone out there compare the efficiency level of the ATT S2 with RR German 37 or FOCS? Asking those who have used both. 😉

Sure! I've used and own all three.

The ATT S2 is very smooth. As an OC razor it is very efficient. I get very close shaves with it.

The RR German 37 is almost that efficient, but just like its namesake Merkur it can nick you if you do it right. I find the G37 also a fairly relaxing shaver, but I also find it takes a touch more attention than the S2.

The FOCS is a very mild shaver for me. That mildness translates into a less efficient razor. With the S2 I can do a 2-pass shave (WTG/ATG). With the G37 that's a 3-pass shave (2xWTG/ATG). The FOCS had me doing a 4-pass shave (2xWTG/2xATG) and still needing to go do cleanups.

I fixed that by simply shimming the blade in the FOCS. It's now on par with the G37 for efficiency, but the S2 still wins because it's more comfortable.

O.H.

None of them. The S2 is my Grail Razor.

Sure! I've used and own all three.

The ATT S2 is very smooth. As an OC razor it is very efficient. I get very close shaves with it.

The RR German 37 is almost that efficient, but just like its namesake Merkur it can nick you if you do it right. I find the G37 also a fairly relaxing shaver, but I also find it takes a touch more attention than the S2.

The FOCS is a very mild shaver for me. That mildness translates into a less efficient razor. With the S2 I can do a 2-pass shave (WTG/ATG). With the G37 that's a 3-pass shave (2xWTG/ATG). The FOCS had me doing a 4-pass shave (2xWTG/2xATG) and still needing to go do cleanups.

I fixed that by simply shimming the blade in the FOCS. It's now on par with the G37 for efficiency, but the S2 still wins because it's more comfortable.

O.H.

Thank you for your summary. Very appreciated. Regarding the level of efficiency of FOCS vs RR German 37 I agree with your conclusion. To me, RR G37 feels more efficient than the FOCS, maybe by a margin, but more efficient. I should do a side by side shave to confirm. Good thing is there's plenty of time left in Slantember for this kind of comparisions.

I'll investigate further, but if the S2 indeed is more efficient than the RR G37 (and the FOCS) than the ATT S2 is likely right up my alley...

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Slantember 2021 SOTD
SOTD-CG-B_2021-09-04.jpg
:001_wub:

Brush: Shavemac 20/48 Silvertip 2-Band
Soap: Bignoli Licorice and Mint
Razor: Phoenix Crimson Ghost
Blade: Personna Red (6)
ASL: Orange FREEZE [home brew]

A good shave. :biggrin:

My first shave with the Crimson Ghost was interesting, and enlightening!

I now realize why the FOCS doesn't clamp the blade completely on the low corners — it's not a design fault, it's intentional (the blade is still torqued enough to be rigid). Shaving the bottom of my sideburns with the FOCS is a breeze. Doing the same with the Crimson Ghost is somewhat of a PITA. The high corner slices through easily, but the low corner needs PRESSURE because the blade exposure and gap is virtually nil. I now understand why so many people shim their Phoenix ABS Slants.

Here's a couple of pics to (hopefully) show what I mean:

End on pic showing blade clamping on the low corners (center of pic):
CG-vs-FOCS-end-on_2021-09-04.jpg

Top down pic showing the blades minimum reveal at the low corners (top right and bottom left):
CG-vs-FOCS-top-view_2021-09-04.jpg

DON'T START SHOUTING ABOUT ALIGNMENT!

Most slant razors won't align the blade parallel to the cap. This is to give the blade more reveal and exposure at the high corners and less at the low corners. Of course this is not always the case, but it is with the two babies above.

The correct way to load a slant (IMO) is to lay the cap (bolt up) on the counter, drop the blade on (no pressing with fingers), drop the baseplate on (no pressing with fingers) and gently screw the handle on (don't worry if there are strange noises). This will fix the blade in the correct position... and (when done) if it looks wrong, it's right. :biggrin:

BTW, thanks to @Crisp Rat for unknowingly making me use my Crimson Ghost for the first time (I really got it just for the light handle, being an LHF).

Happy shaves guys. :cornut:

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Sunday 5th September 2021​
E0023687-2618-4CA3-86CE-C8275D56220F.jpeg

PrePAA Cube 2.0 USA 🇺🇸
SoapStirling Executive Man, USA 🇺🇸
BrushBGB Sunset G6 Badger, Australia 🇦🇺
RazorRR German Slant, Canada 🇨🇦
BladeNacet, Russia 🇷🇺
Post ShaveProraso Alum, Italy 🇮🇹 , Proraso Balm Italy 🇮🇹
FragrancePAA Honeysuckle, USA 🇺🇸