What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Oddball mail call included a few tricks today! Gem Damaskeene OC, Shav-Rite double shavette, E Bar.

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, I understand now. No, it is not an injector. It is a wedge blade (think 1/2 a blade of a straight razor if you cut the razor evenly down the middle). Except you place the blade onto a handle and blade guard to make it much more like your average Gillette DE than a straight. There's little grooves in the front that seats the blade itself, and then there's a movable brace behind it that stabilizes the blade. After shaving, you release the brace so the blades comes out, then you re-strop it before you put it back in for the next day.

Believe it or not, this is the sort of thing Gillette replaced, but it is essentially the original "safety razor." Simply a smaller straight razor blade with a guard to offer a little bit of protection for the face.
Thanks for sharing this early piece of safety razor shaving. It reminds me that King Gillette's innovation was not the safety razor, but the disposable blade.

Hi all, I was perusing an antique shop today looking for DE razors and they had some SE razors as well. They had a gold GEM but for some reason this bakelite(?) handled Schlick spoke to me. My first SE. Anybody have any info? Injector? Blades available? Thanks in advance!
D0529F2D-C971-47C8-97C6-F05DCE634877.jpeg

C2D56D74-A46E-4FF0-8922-E477444D4C40.jpeg
C2D56D74-A46E-4FF0-8922-E477444D4C40.jpeg

It is a Schick E2 Injector from the mid 1930s. The spring is blocked to prevent opening so I hope yours is not damaged. Blades can be found on Amazon and perhaps at your local pharmacy. Schick still makes blades as does Personna.

Good info here:

Hi all, I was perusing an antique shop today looking for DE razors and they had some SE razors as well. They had a gold GEM but for some reason this bakelite(?) handled Schlick spoke to me. My first SE. Anybody have any info? Injector? Blades available? Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1224980
View attachment 1224981View attachment 1224981

Oooo. Pretty. And made in Canada ❤🇨🇦

My two bookmarks for Schick

Schick ID

And a B&B thread:

And yes - it takes injectors. Some like the vintage (I've tried and love vintage DE but haven't tried SE vintage yet) but the modern Schick blades made in China are nice and have a good reputation and are readily available in the BST, the Bay or Amazon.

View attachment 1224980
View attachment 1224981View attachment 1224981
Nice razor. I have a slightly later generation of Schick injector - a G-1 from the 1940s - and it's probably my favorite of all my razors (DE, SE and injector). You can buy Schick, Personna and Taconic injector blades for it online at a number of vendors.

I haven't actually aquired this razor yet but I do have it on loan and I'm seriously considering a purchase. I'm using the Kai blades and my general impression after only 4 shaves is "WOW this is amazing". Nothing bad about it at all, it even looks nice in the razor stand. With each of the shaves I have used a different soap and no change in the results ... still amazing.

RazoRock Hawk v2 Single Edge Safety Razor (Silver Satin)

I bought Uncle Bill's safety razor at my local vintage mall.
2DA9470B-94B0-4133-A320-723EE1D2D121.jpeg

I imagine that Uncle Bill departed long ago and that his devoted niece or nephew departed recently after a long life.

The safety razor (who says that any more?) is a silver AutoStrop VB1 in excellent condition, with strop and six wrapped blades in the blade holder. A blade was mounted. The blade wrappers have no Gillette branding, so I'm guessing Uncle Bill shaved for the last time before the merger. Serial 4576733. The strop appears to be the original, with a B style razor image impressed into the leather.
2F481172-E877-4D2D-9064-2ED842A6F367.jpeg

AutoStrops are raining down on me.

Top Bottom