What's new

Sig Sauer P365. Maiden Voyage

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Actually, pretty darn good. In fact I've been debating, since I've never really used a hand gun, trying to learn to fire it with my right hand. Right now, just dry firing it, my mind and hands aren't arguing with me. I don't have any muscle memory about anything yet.

Since I think you said you've taught, what are your thoughts about it?
Would learning right handed (nondominant hand) be a problem if I move up to a bigger gun?

It all depends on a couple of things.

1. Are you a brand new shooter? No experience with handguns whatsoever?

2. Which eye is your dominate eye?

Most peoples dominate hand, matches up with their dominate eye. If your dominate eye is your left eye? Don't attempt to fix what isn't broken. Learn to shoot with the dominate side God gave you. If you find it is indeed your right eye that is dominate; and you have absolutely no experience with shooting handguns, you can in fact, attempt to use your weak hand.

I have four daughters ranging in ages 32, 30, 24 and 22. my 24 year old, is right handed and left eye dominate. She began shooting when she was 12 years old, with her left hand and continues to do so, to this day.

However, studies have been done in the past to show, that 29% of the right handed population, are in fact, left eye dominate. But only 4% of the left handed population turned out to be right eye dominate. So, the odds of you being cross eyed dominate are much rarer for you being left handed then someone being right handed.

If your dominate eye matches your dominate hand, just make it easier on yourself and whomever is training you and use your dominate hand.

You just received a brand new pistol which is designed for concealed carry and self defense. Not only will you be more accurate and have more control with your dominate hand, but your reflexes will be faster on the draw from the holster and your agility will be sharper and more precise when moving and shooting and bringing the gun up to bare in order to gain a sight picture.

Not that you couldn't learn to do those things with lots of time and practice with your weak hand, but why challenge yourself that way from the get go, if your dominate hand and eye are already and conveniently on the same side?

Last edited:
You will love that P365. As to the aforementioned issue regarding dominant eye-hand....
I am right handed and left eye dominant. Found the best solution was to learn how to shoot with both eyes open. Helps a lot.

Most peoples dominate hand, matches up with their dominate eye. If your dominate eye is your left eye? Don't attempt to fix what isn't broken. Learn to shoot with the dominate side God gave you. If you find it is indeed your right eye that is dominate; and you have absolutely no experience with shooting handguns, you can in fact, attempt to use your weak hand.

I have four daughters ranging in ages 32, 30, 24 and 22. my 24 year old, is right handed and left eye dominate. She began shooting when she was 12 years old, with her left hand and continues to do so, to this day.

However, studies have been done in the past to show, that 29% of the right handed population, are in fact, left eye dominate. But only 4% of the left handed population turned out to be right eye dominate. So, the odds of you being cross eyed dominate are much rarer for you being left handed then someone being right handed.

If your dominate eye matches your dominate hand, just make it easier on yourself and whomever is training you and use your dominate hand.

You just received a brand new pistol which is designed for concealed carry and self defense. Not only will you be more accurate and have more control with your dominate hand, but your reflexes will be faster on the draw from the holster and your agility will be sharper and more precise when moving and shooting and bringing the gun up to bare in order to gain a sight picture.

Not that you couldn't learn to do those things with lots of time and practice with your weak hand, but why challenge yourself that way from the get go, if your dominate hand and eye are already and conveniently on the same side?

Good advice. Unfortunately, I am right-handed but left eye dominant. I learned about the problem when I first started shooting. I would look through the sites with my right eye or with both eyes but my aim was always off. When I took a CCL class the instructor tested my eyes. I tried shooting left handed but that didn't work for me. The instructor then had me use my head and hands so that I could aim with my left eye. That works fine for me with a pistol but is cumbersome with a rifle.

My brother-in-law has been a hunter since he was a teenager. He is right-handed and was right eye dominant. He lost his vision in his right eye. He could not make the adjustment shooting with his left hand. However, he uses a laser on his pistol and that has worked for him. He is getting an optical site for Christmas and hopefully that will work for him.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a thorough response. I'm brand new to (real) handguns. I think I'm going to have fun trying to figure out what works best for me. Turns out I'm right eye dominate. How to Find Your Dominant Eye + Why You'd Want To

One advantage to learning to use it with my right hand might be that that my stronger (girly @HDSledge
proxy.php
) left hand could do the racking.

You will love that P365. As to the aforementioned issue regarding dominant eye-hand....
I am right handed and left eye dominant. Found the best solution was to learn how to shoot with both eyes open. Helps a lot.

I wondered about that too. I think when I start going to the range to learn how to use a handgun, I'm going to spend as much time learning about myself. :blink:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I am right handed and left eye dominate. I shoot with both eyes open, at least for rapid, close range, defensive style shooting. I initially learned to shoot pistols with a bladed (support side foot forward, strong side foot to the rear) Weaver stance, but when doing so, I have a tendency to pull my shots to the left. If I shoot Isosceles, where my hips are square to the target, I can better align my gun, held in my right hand, with my left dominant eye and the tendency to pull my shots to the left is decreased. Of course there are other reasons to pull your shots one way or another, but this is what I've noticed in my shooting. YMMV greatly. But one cannot always shoot from an Isosceles stance/position in the real world. Eventually you may want to learn to shoot a pistol from either hand, with one hand or from awkward positions, particularly if you ever desire to do any "action shooting" like IDPA, IPSC, etc. But hopefully you and your instructor can identify what works best for you and you should stick with that style as you learn the basics of pistol marksmanship and safe gun manipulation.

Left handed shooting left eye dominant, the hardest adjustment was learning to shoot with both eyes open, once you dial it in though it’s the only way to shoot. I spent 6 months working on it, as I had a few bad habits I neeed to break.

Pistol rifle shotgun AR whatever platform your shooting, both eyes should be open all the time

I am right handed and left eye dominate. I shoot with both eyes open, at least for rapid, close range, defensive style shooting. I initially learned to shoot pistols with a bladed (support side foot forward, strong side foot to the rear) Weaver stance, but when doing so, I have a tendency to pull my shots to the left. If I shoot Isosceles, where my hips are square to the target, I can better align my gun, held in my right hand, with my left dominant eye and the tendency to pull my shots to the left is decreased. Of course there are other reasons to pull your shots one way or another, but this is what I've noticed in my shooting. YMMV greatly. But one cannot always shoot from an Isosceles stance/position in the real world. Eventually you may want to learn to shoot a pistol from either hand, with one hand or from awkward positions, particularly if you ever desire to do any "action shooting" like IDPA, IPSC, etc. But hopefully you and your instructor can identify what works best for you and you should stick with that style as you learn the basics of pistol marksmanship and safe gun manipulation.

Left handed shooting left eye dominant, the hardest adjustment was learning to shoot with both eyes open, once you dial it in though it’s the only way to shoot. I spent 6 months working on it, as I had a few bad habits I neeed to break.

Pistol rifle shotgun AR whatever platform your shooting, both eyes should be open all the time

Every time I try to shoot with both eyes open my aim is off, particularly with long distance shots. Guess it takes a while to overcome this problem.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Every time I try to shoot with both eyes open my aim is off, particularly with long distance shots. Guess it takes a while to overcome this problem.

I have difficulty making precise long distance shots without any optics these days. If I have the time to make a distant shot with iron sights, I'll close one eye to make a precise shot. If for instance I'm just shooting center of mass at about 25 yds., I'll keep both eyes open. It does take some practice to ignore the "double vision" of shooting with both eyes open and concentrate only on the "dominant" image of the front sight.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Actually, pretty darn good. In fact I've been debating, since I've never really used a hand gun, trying to learn to fire it with my right hand. Right now, just dry firing it, my mind and hands aren't arguing with me. I don't have any muscle memory about anything yet.

Since I think you said you've taught, what are your thoughts about it?
Would learning right handed (nondominant hand) be a problem if I move up to a bigger gun?

To add to what great advice the guys have already given you, learning to shoot from each hand is very important if you ever need to use your pistol in self-defense. I'm right hand, but left eye, dominant. Almost every trip to the range, I'll shoot at least 25 rounds with only my right hand and 25 rounds with only my left. When I'm shooting with only my left, I'll practice manipulating the controls (slide lock/release, magazine release) with only my left hand. If I'm ever in a situation where my dominant hand is compromised or incapacitated, I want to still be able to use my pistol and use it proficiently.

Are you trying to catch up with me? :)

Catch up?... Heck, I'm trying to surpass you! :001_smile

One trick for learning to shoot with both eyes open is to take some clear scotch tape, and cover up the lens of the off eye. Then each time you go out, take a little more off until eventually you have no tape left.

I learned from shooting sporting clays that with both eyes open, you don’t find yourself measuring lead and the checking the bead on the barrel. Which can also be utilized for hand guns rifles etc.

OkieStubble

[QUOTE="Claudel Xerxes, post: 9973073, member: 92596"Catch up?... Heck, I'm trying to surpass you! :001_smile[/QUOTE]

That's my boy! :)

OkieStubble

The instructor then had me use my head and hands so that I could aim with my left eye. That works fine for me with a pistol but is cumbersome with a rifle.

We get cross dominate people in the academy every year. We teach them, body and head positioning, along with two eyes open in order to get them where they need to be.

And you're correct, the longer the sight radius like on a rifle, the dominate eye will take over. And just as you said, with modern technology, many of the young officers, are running out and getting the small RMR's put on their duty pistol's, because a red dot is much easier to shoot accurately for cross dominate shooters.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a thorough response.

You are quite welcome... It's what I do. :)

I'm brand new to (real) handguns. I think I'm going to have fun trying to figure out what works best for me.

This is exactly, the right/correct attitude to have/take. You will do just fine young lady.

Consider yourself a 4 percenter... :)

One advantage to learning to use it with my right hand might be that that my stronger (girly @HDSledge
proxy.php
) left hand could do the racking.

Lol'd! That's what I'm talkin' about!

I wondered about that too. I think when I start going to the range to learn how to use a handgun, I'm going to spend as much time learning about myself. :blink:

Know what they call people like you, who try to learn about themselves, along with learning the art of modern pistolcraft?

Gunfighters.

OkieStubble

That's not a problem Jim. On long distance shots, 25 yards or more, with a pistol? If a rifle is not available, you should close one eye. you want that shot to be as accurate as possible. Better Pistolcraft training, is a forever evolving thing. There will always and constantly, be new or updated techniques or things to learn.

The newer, up and coming academy instructors are beginning to teach, two eyes open to 15, two eyes open but squinting with the weak eye at 20 and closing one eye at 25 or more, when taking the shot, but opening both eyes when moving and assessing.

This makes sense to me when considering, distance is time and accuracy is everything.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
^ Sound advice here! There is also the option of going prone for longer accurate shots when a long gun is not available.

OkieStubble

^ Sound advice here! There is also the option of going prone for longer accurate shots when a long gun is not available.

Absolutely! Why aren't all the young instructors with their new, fancy ideas, not teaching this at the academy yet?

I dunno. Probably, because these young cops today, don't like getting dirty? ;)

That's not a problem Jim. On long distance shots, 25 yards or more, with a pistol? If a rifle is not available, you should close one eye. you want that shot to be as accurate as possible. Better Pistolcraft training, is a forever evolving thing. There will always and constantly, be new or updated techniques or things to learn.

The newer, up and coming academy instructors are beginning to teach, two eyes open to 15, two eyes open but squinting with the weak eye at 20 and closing one eye at 25 or more, when taking the shot, but opening both eyes when moving and assessing.

This makes sense to me when considering, distance is time and accuracy is everything.
I was talking feet rather than yards. Your comment above that I have put in bold makes sense. I will try the squinting idea the next time I am out at the range. Thanks for the hints.

OkieStubble

I was talking feet rather than yards. Your comment above that I have put in bold makes sense. I will try the squinting idea the next time I am out at the range. Thanks for the hints.

LMAO! I feel ya bro. At our age, I should be talking feet, not yards. ;)

When all else fails? Magnify! :)

Top Bottom