What's new

Changing needs as I age

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As I imagine most folk here already know, I started shooting and got MY first handgun when Ike was the President. Oh, there was also a rifle (22lr from Sears or Monkey Wards) and shotgun (H&R 20 gauge single shot) that were family guns ad as the oldest kid got to use them pretty much whenever I wanted. I spent many delightful hours walking the field and crop land string up insects that were gobbled up by the quail and partridge and doves and other feathered critters that always followed behind me enjoying the feast as much as I enjoyed the hunt. The shotgun was pretty much my constant companion walking the ridge line along the Catoctin Mountain range communing with the squirrels and chipmunks that kept me company. Until one day a bunch of really nice men in business suits in the woods told me that I was on David's Camp and it was posted no trespassing or hunting or shooting. I said sorry and that I hadn't seen the signs and they said I should be fine as long as I went back aways.

Back then I didn't seem to mind that the rifle and shotgun were both just plain heavy and that the trigger on MY H&R 923 was kinda like trying to pull a 1950 Chevy Tudor uphill by hand from the rear bumper.

But Ike isn't President anymore even if Camp David is still posted no trespassing or hunting or shooting and I doubt those kind men in business suits in the woods are still as polite. And some days I really do notice that today's guns are too heavy and hard to rack and ...

While I still enjoy the experienced pistols and revolvers, even the big all steel ones most days, some days I just can't quite manage what I usta did.

So the search for Plan 9 began.

What I wanted were pistols that concealed well and were easy to rack, easy to maintain, easy to shoot reliably, rapidly and accurately even on my less than great days.

The first two I found were S&W 380EZ and Ruger LCP II 22lr Lite Rack. I liked the SW 380EZ enough that I got a Privateer Leather custom holster for it. BUT ...

... my Brother-in-Law really likes the S&W 380EZ and would be willing to give me my Shield 2.0 45acp back in exchange and my sister tried the Ruger LCP II 22lr Lite Rack at the range and actually managed to shoot it.

So I call those two Plan A & B with the understanding that they may only be living with me a short period of time.

more to follow tomorrow.

You might want to consider a Glock 42. It’s a remarkably soft shooter, easy to conceal, accurate, downright fun to shoot, inexpensive, reliable as a hammer (at least mine is) and I feel the slide is pretty darn easy to rack. If you added a slide rack assist for $20 or less (lots of companies make them, IE: Vickers) it would be even easier to rack. Glock takedown is about the easiest in the business - and it’s a gun you can undoubtedly count on. Have someone install Magguts kits into your mags (takes less than 5 min a mag, but requires a bit of hand strength) and you can get 7 rounds in the flush mags - so with a round chambered, you’ve got a pretty slick and effective setup.

Hope this helps

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
You might want to consider a Glock 42. It’s a remarkably soft shooter, easy to conceal, accurate, downright fun to shoot, inexpensive, reliable as a hammer (at least mine is) and I feel the slide is pretty darn easy to rack. If you added a slide rack assist for $20 or less (lots of companies make them, IE: Vickers) it would be even easier to rack. Glock takedown is about the easiest in the business - and it’s a gun you can undoubtedly count on. Have someone install Magguts kits into your mags (takes less than 5 min a mag, but requires a bit of hand strength) and you can get 7 rounds in the flush mags - so with a round chambered, you’ve got a pretty slick and effective setup.

Hope this helps
Glocks simply don't fit my hand. They are off any of my lists for now.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Following with interest for Mrs FarmerTan.

David's Camp is probably guarded by equally well dressed but more likely less kind individuals today my friend!

Yes, I would love to travel back in time some days...

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
As the First Born (and closest to perfection) of six kids I had certain responsibilities. I had to watch the little ones when they were playing, teach them what I had learned (and forgive them when they don't listen to me and do stupid stuff), to share what I have and also pass down my really neat stuff like old clothes even when they didn't realize what great stuff they were getting.

Those duties and responsibilities don't end. For example right now my sister has custody of my Beretta Pico and my 22lr rifle Rossi bolt action while my brother-in-law has custody of my Beretta Tomcat, my S&W Shield 2.0 45acp and my JC Higgins Model 42 (made by Marlin) 22lr rifle.

As I mentioned in the OP they are both also getting really old (lots faster than I) and so face many of the same issues I'm sometimes dealing with. (I know.. with which I am dealing) My sister can't rack the Pico and my brother-in-law can't easily rack the Shield for starters. I did get each of them a racking aid and they do work. They come in two sizes to fit most pistol slides. But the problem is if they need to rack their handgun in an SD situation and the aid is in the range bag, well, call it sub-optimal. Even the tip up barrel Berettas don't really help and for the same reason; failure drills. With the tip up barrel if a round doesn't fire or an empty case gets stuck the drill is to tip the barrel up and manually extract the live round or empty casing by hand. From a really hot chamber. And then they either have to load a round from their stash or try to cycle the slide. Once again heavy springs and tiny slide win.

So as I mentioned in the OP it's very likely that I will get to share my S&W 380EZ and the Ruger LCP II 22lr Lite Rack (really like that one) with them.

Looking around at what is available today, two other recent releases caught my attention; the Walther CCP M2 380 and the Ruger Security 380 Lite Rack. Luckily I found both on sale and so they too followed me home.

Last edited:
As the First Born (and closest to perfection) of six kids I had certain responsibilities. I had to watch the little ones when they were playing, teach them what I had learned (and forgive them when they don't listen to me and do stupid stuff), to share what I have and also pass down my really neat stuff like old clothes even when they didn't realize what great stuff they were getting.

Those duties and responsibilities don't end. For example right now my sister has custody of my Beretta Pico and my 22lr rifle Rossi bolt action while my brother-in-law has custody of my Beretta Tomcat, my S&W Shield 2.0 45acp and my JC Higgins Model 42 (made by Marlin) 22lr rifle.

As I mentioned in the OP they are both also getting really old (lots faster than I) and so face many of the same issues I'm sometimes dealing with. (I know.. with which I am dealing) My sister can't rack the Pico and my brother-in-law can't easily rack the Shield for starters. I did get each of them a racking aid and they do work. They come in two sizes to fit most pistol slides. But the problem is if they need to rack their handgun in an SD situation and the aid is in the range bag, well, call it sub-optimal. Even the tip up barrel Berettas don't really help and for the same reason; failure drills. With the tip up barrel if a round doesn't fire or an empty case gets stuck the drill is to tip the barrel up and manually extract the live round or empty casing by hand. From a really hot chamber. And then they either have to load a round from their stash or try to cycle the slide. Once again heavy springs and tiny slide win.

So as I mentioned in the OP it's very likely that I will get to share my S&W 380EZ and the Ruger LCP II 22lr Lite Rack (really like that one) with them.

Looking around at what is available today, two other recent releases caught my attention; the Walther CCP M2 380 and the Ruger Security 380 Lite Rack. Luckily I found both on sale and so they too followed me home.
My wife has a Walther CCP M2, and if it wasn't Aqua colored I'd steal it. Light weight, easier to rack than the SW EZ and it doesn't have that annoying grip safety. Deadly accurate too. I may have to spring for the 9mm model.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I went through this not all that long ago. Advancing arthritis doesn’t help any.

My very old friend, a P220 with more rounds on it than I can remember, is now replaced with a little 365. And I don’t even carry that anymore a lot of days, as the roaming radius starts to shrink a little. It’s a nice little pistol, light, easy, and accurate. A hair under 6 lbs., and that’s ok for now. It has enough purchase with the right bits.

But it’s no 220. I could handle that one in my sleep. Maybe I do. And so it now sits, asleep, in the nightstand for HD. Every year it just got a little heavier.

No fancy electronic sights to break, no batteries to find dead, when you need them most. Just have to keep the frames wet. If I get lazy enough, I may trade them both for wheel guns, and call it a day.

Mrs. C still totes her little Airweight. And she found it much more friendly after a much needed trigger job. But I can tell she’d increasingly rather reach for her phone to play solitaire than for that little friend. It’s still a little hand snapper.

We have an entire collection that I am waiting for my son to make room for. I’m never going to shoot my father’s century old L.C. Smith at this point. I‘m not sure my shoulder could tolerate a double 12. I might shoot my ancient Marlin one last time. I remember holing pennies with that one at a railroad yard as a little boy. I’d enjoy seeing my son’s son someday hole a penny with it.

Good luck in your transition.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
So first let's get the boring details out of the way and then add some PRON.

slide-effort.png

As you can see from above all of the pistols (except the Ruger LCP II) weigh about the same and trigger pull is about the same across the board but the slide effort is about half of what either of my Shields requires. And that makes a really, really really big difference.

And the PRON:

shield-2.0.jpg

left.jpg

CCP-M2-380-left.jpg

Security-380-Left.jpg

LCP2-lite-22lr.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I wouldn’t go near a 22LR in a carry. Besides the lack of stopping power and the higher production variability of the cartridges, there’s a much higher risk of a misfeed with a slider. And you’ll almost certainly need more than one round if you ever need to use it.

If it’s just for range play, that’s a different story.

I like the two S&Ws. If you can tolerate the slide weight, the first one would be my first pick.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I wouldn’t go near a 22LR in a carry. Besides the lack of stopping power and the higher production variability of the cartridges, there’s a much higher risk of a misfeed with a slider. And you’ll almost certainly need more than one round if you ever need to use it.

If it’s just for range play, that’s a different story.

I like the two S&Ws. If you can tolerate the slide weight, the first one would be my first pick.
But you are not everybody. And slide effort IS the problem.

The other day I mentioned following the Ice Man when he made his deliveries. My grandmother had an Ice Box and he'd stop and use his ice pick to chip off a block then pick it up with his ice tong and carry it to her door, then down the hallway to the kitchen and put the block in the big container at the top of the Ice Box. All the kids would get the slivers of ice to suck on. Anyway one person didn't know what an ice pick was.

But I promise you, I do not want to get stuck a half dozen times with an ice pick that penetrates as deeply as a 22lr. As to stopping power ask Regan and several of his companions or ask Bobby Kennedy.

But more on that when I discuss my experiences with each of the pistols.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
But you are not everybody. And slide effort IS the problem.

The other day I mentioned following the Ice Man when he made his deliveries. My grandmother had an Ice Box and he'd stop and use his ice pick to chip off a block then pick it up with his ice tong and carry it to her door, then down the hallway to the kitchen and put the block in the big container at the top of the Ice Box. All the kids would get the slivers of ice to suck on. Anyway one person didn't know what an ice pick was.

But I promise you, I do not want to get stuck a half dozen times with an ice pick that penetrates as deeply as a 22lr. As to stopping power ask Regan and several of his companions or ask Bobby Kennedy.

But more on that when I discuss my experiences with each of the pistols.
Then go with the 38.

I’ve seen 22LR sliders misfeed more times than I can count. The slightest drag from lack of maintenance, a little dirt, or a subpar cartridge (and there’s a lot of them), and they‘ll misfeed. Unless you are trusting to a perfect first shot, you may not get off another one with a 22.

You’re right. I’m not everybody. And Bobby Kennedy was shot with a revolver.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Then go with the 38.

I’ve seen 22LR sliders misfeed more times than I can count. The slightest drag from lack of maintenance, a little dirt, or a subpar cartridge (and there’s a lot of them), and they‘ll misfeed. Unless you are trusting to a perfect first shot, you may not get off another one with a 22.

You’re right. I’m not everybody. And Bobby Kennedy was shot with a revolver.
Got 38s. They present all of the same issues and so simply don't meet my 9and others) needs.

More when I discuss the experience with each pistol.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some people … and I thought I was old and grumpy.

You narrow your search down to 5 pistols, post it, and then argue if anyone expresses an opinion over any of them.

If you can’t tolerate an 11 pound slide weight, why even put it on your list?

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom