What's new

Should you leave your blade in your razor?

I take apart my razor and rinse thoroughly then dry after every shave, I rinse my blade and hang it on a magnet strip on the side of my medicine cabinet

+1 exactly!

I find it a most enjoyable ritual to carefully clean and polish the razor after each shave. Then I lay it out on a piece of cloth to dry out during the day. TTO’s I leave open. Takes 30 seconds.

Disassembling, cleaning, drying and reassembling after each shave is totally unnecessary and in my opinion, would be a major pain in the butt. When I'm done shaving I just rinse off the razor, shake off the excess water and then put it back on the stand. The blade stays in there a week+ until it gets changed. The razor itself gets cleaned after a month or two when I switch razors. I've been doing it this way for years and I've never had an issue with rusting.
This. Anything more is unnecessary.

I removed the blade, clean and dry the razor and the blade then I put the blade back in the other way up. I flip the blade after every shave
That sounds like the routine I follow with my DE and SEs, but I’m moving the blade to my next razor in the rotation.

Understandably, my injectors just get a rinse and a wipe after each shave.

I loosen the head of the razor and with the blade in it rinse the razor under hot water. I then dunk the razor and blade in rubbing alcohol and let it dry. I have never had a problem with rust.

OMG, that's one hake of a rotation. Do you use one razor more than the others?
LOL...yah...I just love to use all my razors, blades and brushes. I rotate as much as possible. Even while on the road like now I will bring 2-4 variety sets depending how long is the trip.
Even while on the road I will perform similar routine to my shave gears.
I don't have 1 particular favorite razor as all have slightly different results depending on the blade pairing but I tend to favor open combs (I have 3 OCs).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Disassembling, cleaning, drying and reassembling after each shave is totally unnecessary and in my opinion, would be a major pain in the butt.

I feel the same way. Loosen, rinse, shake, and done. Decades of that, no problemo.

Three-piece, no. A TTO, I do take the blade out and shake it ... but rarely use a TTO.

AA
I rinse and shake, put it back on the stand. I do find that TTOs will drain some residual water if you open and close a day or two later, but I don't think it does any harm

I loosen the head of the razor and with the blade in it rinse the razor under hot water. I then dunk the razor and blade in rubbing alcohol and let it dry. I have never had a problem with rust.

This is exactly what I do and have never had an issue.

After I shave I take my razor apart and clean and dry all parts thoroughly, reassemble with blade in and hang I my stand for next shave. Some feel strongly about not to leaving the blade in. I would agree, but only if you don’t clean your razor after your shave since it could promote rust. What’s your routine and thoughts on leaving blade in or out?
I do exactly what you do, start with a clean razor and finish with one. Some of the RR razors advise to strip down and clean afterwards because of the tight tolerances. The cap may be difficult to take apart with dried in soap. Definitely have a clean sharp blade loaded and ready to go.

A rinse and a shake should do the job.
But wouldn’t be such a pity though to leave greasy lanolin marks on a shiny, beautiful razor? I’m sure some of you will get my point [emoji2957]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I also had some issues with rust stains on stainless steel razor heads because the blades would sometimes start to rust. Ever since I started to swipe a drop of mineral oil with a q-tip over the entire blade surface on both sides before mounting it into the razor, I never had this issue again. It takes only 20 sec and the problem is gone. You don't have to worry about leaving the blade in the razor and don't have to do any preventive measures after each and every shave. A drop of oil on the new blade and no problem anymore, stainless or not.:thumbup1:

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Water is not your friend if you're trying to squeeze every possible shave from a razor blade. Some are coated and there is some question as to how hard rubbing might wear off some of the coating, but you could just pat them dry.

The razor should be dipped in rubbing alcohol to make sure all the water is removed. Then it's best to coat it in oil.

I don't do any of that. Over the years I've cut a finger twice on blades and frankly I can't be bothered with that much effort to extend my 15 cent blade for a couple more shaves.

I give the stainless razor a blast of hot tap water and pat it dry with a towel, put it back in the cabinet for the next day's shave. I have never seen any rust on my blades or razor. But I use my water and you use yours, so do what works for you.

I'm in the rinse and shake camp.

For a while I kept a small jar with isopropyl alcohol in it on my bathroom counter. I'd rinse the head of the razor in that after tap water rinse. This is no longer an option for me so I don't do it. Only difference it's made is that maybe the razor stayed a little cleaner.

It would've been helpful if from the beginning of this thread that along with everyones method they also mentioned what razor they used or vintage vs modern, SS vs Alum vs Titanium and such... I think that influences one's decision some in how they maintain their razors from what I've seen in the past.

My routine with my Ti Timeless, (only razor I own), is to loosen the handle and rinse with hot water prior to rinsing my face, setting it aside while I use the alum bar and clean my brush, then prior to rinsing the alum off my face I disassemble the razor and pat dry the blade and and dry off the razor with a towel and reassemble for the next days shave and then rinse the alum, pat dry and apply aftershave... It literally takes about 2-3 minutes total for the entire routine.

I rinse it well, then let it dry. I only disassemble things when it’s time to change blades. KISS!! :thumbup::thumbup:

I just rinse, swish in isopropyl alcohol, shake, and let dry. This is one of those things you shouldn't overthink.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Rise under cold water, wipe dry with towel and put it back on the stand. I leave the blade in for 1 week or so til its time to swap blades.

If I'm doing a one-off shave with my slim adjustable which I keep put away... I take the blade out... rinse it off... pat dry with a towel and let it finish air drying.

My Maggard is my daily that was cheap to buy and would be cheap to replace. It's not worth my time to baby it every morning that I'm trying to get out the door to work. I give it a rinse and stick it in my blade stand. In 3-4 years of daily use on the present head and virtually zero care (I think I've taken a brush to remove soap scum 2-3 times)... it's finish looks unmarked. Given it's humble cast zinc head construction, I think unscrewing it, removing blades and wiping it down would do more harm than good. Neglecting it might actually be doing it a favor. Blades are kept in the razor until replacement.

If I had a vintage that was my daily... I doubt it'd get better care than the Maggard.

I take apart everything, rinse it, and pat it down with a towel. And let it dry overnight since im a night shaver. I then wipe the edges of my razor blade with tiolet paper and assemble my razor back together.

Top Bottom