What's new

Blade Care Inbetween Shaves - Do You Bother?

Blade Care Inbetween Shaves

• I do nothing beyond shaking / wiping excess moisture off the razor.

• I loosen the razor handle a few turns.

• I remove the blade from the handle completely and leave it somewhere to dry.

• I remove the blade from the handle and subject it to additional cleaning, e.g. alcohol swabs.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was reading something the other day where someone was talking about how they always remove blades from razors between shaves due to rust. In nearly 15 years I have never had a stainless blade show any sign of rust and I am not sure what you have to be doing to your razor for this to be a regular problem.

I know some artisan razor manufacturers nowadays recommend loosening the razor handle slightly to help the blade dry, although I can't recall this being common advice back when I started wet shaving. I wonder if they are just trying to protect themselves from warranty claims from the outlier people who manage to mistreat their equipment enough to rust stainless steel in a few days and then blame it on the razor. Even then, I still can't imagine what they could be doing to achieve this.

Anyway, wiping the razor down and leaving it on the counter to air dry has always been sufficient for me. I wonder what the dominant behaviours are on B&B?

Hot water rinse and a shake (sometime loosening/opening, although not in the case of my Fatip so I don't have the hassle of re-aligning the blade), then left out to dry. A few times, I've checked after a few hours and it's been bone dry so I don't see much of a threat of rust.
As an aside for historical context, this old Gillette video about caring for carbon steel blades says to loosen, hot rinse and then leave to dry, and advises against wiping.

Rinse, quick shake, let it sit until next shave. I change my blade every Sunday, never had any problem. I found my fathers Gillette Executive in his bathroom vanity. It had been sitting there for 40+ years and the blade that was in it was fine, rust free and no staining on the razor. I think some go overkill on between shave razor and blade care. Totally unnecessary in my opinion.

I clean and dry my razor AND blade after every shave... then reassemble them ready for the next shave.

I was a Boy Scout. :wink2:
^^^What he said!! It only takes a moment to do and never have to worry about the just incase!!

Remember that just because it's made of Stainless only means that it Stains-Less and thats all. I worked in the fastener industry for 30+yrs and I can tell you there are instances where Stainless Steel does stain and will rust!! Don't let the name fool you...

The soap scum looks disgusting 🤮

If you are getting many shaves from a blade as you do, I can see that soap build up over time could become problematic. I don't have a problem just rinsing off DEs, but I do find scum tends to build up on the underside of the blade when using vintage GEM razors, so I do sometimes remove GEM blades to clean them between shaves.

I worked in the fastener industry for 30+yrs and I can tell you there are instances where Stainless Steel does stain and will rust!!

Would you expect it to be common for blades to rust in a razor within their typically short lifespan, assuming improper care, or would it still be exceptional?

I dissamble or open the razor, take out the blade and rinse it under hottish water, then I turn the blade so the other edge will be used next shave, and dry the blade by holding in a towel, obviously not wiping it. Then I return the blade to its wrapper.

I then clean the razor.

Having just finished an impeccable shave using a NEW SC with a blade which I hadn't used for nearly 3 years and with 48 shaves on it, the above method seems to keep the edge in good shape.

I dissamble or open the razor, take out the blade and rinse it under hottish water, then I turn the blade so the other edge will be used next shave, and dry the blade by holding in a towel, obviously not wiping it. Then I return the blade to its wrapper.

Having just finished an impeccable shave using a NEW SC with a blade which I hadn't used for nearly 3 years and with 48 shaves on it, the above method seems to keep the edge in good shape.
I'm not familiar with the NEW SC acronym. Can you break it out for me please?

Top Bottom