What's new

Should you leave your blade in your razor?

After I shave I take my razor apart and clean and dry all parts thoroughly, reassemble with blade in and hang I my stand for next shave. Some feel strongly about not to leaving the blade in. I would agree, but only if you don’t clean your razor after your shave since it could promote rust. What’s your routine and thoughts on leaving blade in or out?

I take apart my razor and rinse thoroughly then dry after every shave, I rinse my blade and hang it on a magnet strip on the side of my medicine cabinet

After I shave I take my razor apart and clean and dry all parts thoroughly, reassemble with blade in and hang I my stand for next shave. Some feel strongly about not to leaving the blade in. I would agree, but only if you don’t clean your razor after your shave since it could promote rust. What’s your routine and thoughts on leaving blade in or out?

Do you lubricate the screw when you assemble it?

Last edited:
I only disassemble my razor when it's time to change blades, usually about once per week if I use the same razor every day. Otherwise it can be a few weeks. I did recently read a suggestion from Blackland razors that you should loosen the handle to allow the blade to air dry between shaves. I might start doing that.

I disassemble my razor and blade after each shave, rinse them with hot water, spray isopropyl alcohol on the blade and dry the razor with a towel. I know it is a little OCD but my razors are all looking great(like new) and it seems the blades last longer(often will get 5+ comfortable shaves with a variety of blades). I also place a drop or two of mineral oil on the threads when reassembling the razor.

I clean and dry my razor on a towel after every shave. Then I take the blade by one end and "twang" it a couple of times with my finger to knock any drops of water off of it. Then I reassemble everything, including the blade, but
don't tighten anything down real tight. I've never seen any hint of rust, etc. the next day.

Disassembling, cleaning, drying and reassembling after each shave is totally unnecessary and in my opinion, would be a major pain in the butt. When I'm done shaving I just rinse off the razor, shake off the excess water and then put it back on the stand. The blade stays in there a week+ until it gets changed. The razor itself gets cleaned after a month or two when I switch razors. I've been doing it this way for years and I've never had an issue with rusting.

I leave the blade in for as long as it lasts - usually 3-5 shaves. Never had a problem with rusting except on an Ikon slant I had for a while. For some reason, I guess it was the coating on that razor caused even stainless blades to rust within a day.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think it all depends on how much the razor means to you.

As for the blade, I don't care how it looks as long as the edge stays sharp. I am not going to go to extremes with keeping my USD 0.04 blade edge dry/clean just so that I can get possibly one or two extra shaves out of it.

My USD 8 Futur clone is a very good DE razor for my but it doesn't mean much to me. Easy and cheap to get another if needed. My straights are another matter. There, there is true love.

After shaving with my DE, I just rinse the razor, shake dry, blow along each blade edge and put it back in its stand. QED

I leave the blade in.

Routine: after a shave, I loosen the handle, rinse the razor in hot water, blow on the top cap, and hang to dry. On the weekend, I disassemble the razor, clean it (hot water & toothbrush) (although I can forget to do this EVERY week), wipe it dry, let it air dry for a couple hours, then reassemble. Once a month or so, add some petroleum jelly to the threads of the top cap.

Usually, I change the blade every two weeks (6 shaves for me). If I need to change earlier, I rinse the razor, hand dry the parts, and reassemble after air-drying the parts for a couple hours (or in the morning with a new blade).

Air drying just means leaving in a drawer of my sink layered in some old cotton scraps (like old t-shirts). This sounds far more methodical and thought out than it is in practice.

I do exactly as you do.

I generally have 3-4 razors in use, blades stay in them until dull, might be a few days, could be several weeks, depends how often I grab a particular razor. When the blade is done I toss it and sorta clean the razor, depends how cruddy it looks, and to the cabinet it goes. Another razor is put in play with a fresh blade.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I do exactly as you do.

Ditto. :)

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
IMO - personal preference. I typically use a blade once so I remove it regardless. But If I feel I want to use it again I’ll take it out. But not because I’m worried about rust, which I’m not. I do it because I left the blade in the razor once and without thinking reached for the razor blindly in the drawer and sliced my finger.

It depends for me.

The vast majority of weeks, I shave 6 days. My (pretty much) daily driver for the past 20 months has been the Rockwell 6S, for example. That razor I'd simply rinse under hot running water, loosen, then soak in alcohol while I cleaned up, then given a good shake and placed in a drawer tray for the next use.

Any of the other various razors I have/had that were used for (not very typical) non-daily shaves I would take apart, clean and blade put in a tin container with a foam insert and a dice to signify how many uses for the next such use (which in all likelihood would be weeks later).

I rinse my razor with warm water, I loosen the head to better rinse the blade. I then pat the razor head & handle with a towel & set the razor in its stand. I do not take the blade out.

Top Bottom