What's new

Should you leave your blade in your razor?

I take it all apart and pat it all dry with a towel. Blade goes back into Medicine cabinet. Razor gets reassembled loosely and hung on stand. Every now and then I put a drop of Wahl's Hair Clipper oil on the threads.

Like merovirginian and dmshaver I loosen the top cap to rinse any whiskers out. Tighten back up pat dry and lay on the shelf for tomorrow. Same routine for 6 days. Sunday a scrub with Dr. Bronners and a worn out tooth brush. Pat dry and back on the shelf. Next razor in the rotation gets a new blade then same routine.

No grease on the threads. Might have to ponder that one.

Last edited:
Disassembling, cleaning, drying and reassembling after each shave is totally unnecessary and in my opinion, would be a major pain in the butt. When I'm done shaving I just rinse off the razor, shake off the excess water and then put it back on the stand. The blade stays in there a week+ until it gets changed. The razor itself gets cleaned after a month or two when I switch razors. I've been doing it this way for years and I've never had an issue with rusting.
This.

There are many differences of opinion on this thread, and even razor manufacturers differ in their advice on this question.

Personally I leave the blade in the razor and fully tightened down. After each shave I fully rinse the razor, shake the water off, blot dry the handle and head with a towel, blow on the blade edges to further remove any residual water, and then store the razor in the bedroom where it's dry. All this is not as complicated as it sounds. It takes 30 seconds maximum. I've been shaving since 1951 (read: 1951) and have never had a problem with rust or premature blade failure. My DE blades last at least 7 days. My SE blades last 5 days. And my injector blades last at least 14 days.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I rinse my razor and blade after each use, towel dry and leave the blade in the razor to air dry until the next shave. It really is just whatever works for you and what you are comfortable doing.

When I’m done shaving, I rinse off the razor, shake off any excess water, then set it on the counter to dry. That’s it. Nothing else is needed. I get at least a month of daily shaves off one blade and never have any issues with rust. When I change the blade, I’ll remove any residue from the razor with a toothbrush and dish soap. That’s all the cleaning I do.

Rinse shake and reuse until the blade is dull or I want to shave with another razor in which case I bank the blade.
tend to forget razors in the shower / steam room and sometimes they rust usually not.

I’m a rinse and shake guy as well. I leave my razors in a stand in the bathroom where showers from family members are taken often. The extra humidity has never been a problem, and I still have various brand blades easily last a week or so.

My routine will be to take the razor apart, rinse and dry each part including the blade then leave it to dry further on dresser while I go to work. Back from work, I will put the razor back together while the blade goes back into the wrappings and ticked with a marker.
The reason is I rotate my razors and blades almost daily. I have 10 razors and 40++ blades and I tend to have 8-10 blades on daily rotation.
As such I won't leave any blade in the razor.

R

romsitsa

It depends on what blade you use, where the razor is stored and how hard your water is. My go to vintage Wilkinson will develop rust in a couple of hours if left wet in the razor. Modern blades take longer.
So I always disassemble, rinse, wipe and air dry all parts.

Adam

Disassemble razor, rinse, towel-dry all parts, pat-dry blade and place it on its wrapper until the next use, reassemble razor loosly and hang up, oil the threads and any moving parts a couple times a month. I don't mind all this fuss because it's part of a regular relaxing ritual, a time to practice my shaving skills, pamper myself a little, and forget my little troubles.

I rinse with hot running water after use and shake off any excess, then place the razor in the stand in my bathroom alongside the one or two others I generally have in rotation. When I change blades or put a razor back in the "standby/inactive" collection then I clean it down with dish soap and a toothbrush, just because I like the gleam. I've never seen any sign of rust or staining doing this, although I suppose corrosion might happen in areas with different water qualities. Generally, however, I think each shaver's regime is down to personal preference.

Do you lubricate the screw when you assemble it?
No, but that's a good idea. I think I will start doing that. I'm thinking it may not be nessasary every time, but maybe at least a couple times a week for a daily shaver. I think this would help prevent thread damage.

Last edited:
My routine will be to take the razor apart, rinse and dry each part including the blade then leave it to dry further on dresser while I go to work. Back from work, I will put the razor back together while the blade goes back into the wrappings and ticked with a marker.
The reason is I rotate my razors and blades almost daily. I have 10 razors and 40++ blades and I tend to have 8-10 blades on daily rotation.
As such I won't leave any blade in the razor.
OMG, that's one hake of a rotation. Do you use one razor more than the others?

No, but that's a good idea. I think I will start doing that. I'm thinking it may not be nessasary every time, but maybe at least a couple times a week for a daily shaver. Second thought a little squirt every time couldnt hurt & would help prevent thread damage.
Stainless Steel is prone to galling on the threads which can allow them to rust. A drop of mineral oil isn't a bad idea at all on a stainless razor. On a brass one, it probably doesn't matter much but it may reduce wear a bit which is probably a good enough reason to do it. On zamak, if you can reduce the plating wear the razor should last longer but overtightening may be even more damaging to zamak screws than plating wear.

Stainless Steel is prone to galling on the threads which can allow them to rust. A drop of mineral oil isn't a bad idea at all on a stainless razor. On a brass one, it probably doesn't matter much but it may reduce wear a bit which is probably a good enough reason to do it. On zamak, if you can reduce the plating wear the razor should last longer but overtightening may be even more damaging to zamak screws than plating wear.

As I mentioned before, I made a razor head from aluminum by hand with a file. The post screw is stainless steel from the hardware store. The handle I am using is stainless steel and is borrowed from a razor I bought. I really do not take it apart except to change the blade. I really have not been using it more than a couple of months. But, I do smear a little Vaseline on the threads when I assemble it after changing blades. I do not over tighten. The threads are holding up fine, so far.

Top Bottom