What's new

Blade Care Inbetween Shaves - Do You Bother?

Blade Care Inbetween Shaves

• I do nothing beyond shaking / wiping excess moisture off the razor.

• I loosen the razor handle a few turns.

• I remove the blade from the handle completely and leave it somewhere to dry.

• I remove the blade from the handle and subject it to additional cleaning, e.g. alcohol swabs.

• Other.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I did take the blade from DE’s for a while but don’t bother anymore. Now just rinse well. Watched an old Gillette video yeasterday that suggested just that to protect the blade edge. Some older tto razors I loosen. I always remove and dry blades on Gem razors.

Simple I guess, rinse the razor well after use. Disassemble, wipe down all razor parts. Don't forget the threads.
Pat down the blades , never wipe. Wiping and or alcohol will impact the coating, if any.
Air dry. Add a touch of oil with a q-tip to the handles treads. Reassemble razor.
After 3 uses, razor blade is recycled.
Works for me...
YMMV
BFX
Clean Shave, clean razor and blade..

I leave the blade in the razor, loosen the head, rinse with very warm water, blow thru the end of the razor a couple of times, then hang it still loose in my razor stand. I usually get 4 - 6 shaves from most blades without issue.

The only trouble I experienced was with an Assured Razor (with the build quality that you'd expect from a $1 store razor). The razor itself rusted out after 3 uses, but the blade that came with the razor was still good-to-go in another razor.

^^^What he said!! It only takes a moment to do and never have to worry about the just incase!!

Remember that just because it's made of Stainless only means that it Stains-Less and thats all. I worked in the fastener industry for 30+yrs and I can tell you there are instances where Stainless Steel does stain and will rust!! Don't let the name fool you...
My contingency plan is to call it patina...

At this point I mostly have vintage Gillette butterfly razors. I always open the razor and take the blade out. Then I rinse the soap off and for some reason I got in the habit of flipping the blade. I replace the blade and leave the razor open and allow it to dry.

Would you expect it to be common for blades to rust in a razor within their typically short lifespan, assuming improper care, or would it still be exceptional?
I wouldn't say common as it usually happens when someone doesn't expect it to and there are a few cases listed here on B&B and some other forums... I am a one and done guy so I'm taking the razor apart anyway but I do dry the razor and set it up with a new blade for the next shave so i'm not worried about it anymore.
I toss the used blade. A fresh blade for every shave is they way that I give cartridges the middle finger. :)
^^+++
I remove the blade from the razor and throw it away, then I dry the razor. One and done for all my double edge blades.
^^+++ I recently moved to the one and done club and not even looking back!!

Top Bottom