What's new

Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

I think this is an interesting idea to say the least BUT as you know, (@Guido75 does) I like shaving themes SO as January is a quiet month, I think this could be a fun idea. I really like that this idea all started with @ralph029 breaking out from the norm using some hardware lost in a drawer, long forgotten.

I myself have a large razor collection, much larger than the soaps or brushes I have in comparison and have long appreciated using the variety of razors I have at my disposal. I believe there is a lot to be learned and gained from experiencing variety. I will admit that like Ralph I sat on a lot of razors. I did this simply because they weren't double edge razors. I've come to learn that was a huge mistake. One that I've now righted.

You both can count me in. I just have to pick the lucky participants. On this note, I think it would be really cool if we posted our shave-ware candidates when starting to see what each other choose for gear possibilities.

Oh and I was thinking. Once the two or so weeks are up were can call ourselves S.Y.R.E.s. Shave Yahtzee Rotation Experimenters. Ehh? Get it?

Hopefully this gets more traction with some other gentlemen joining and if it doesn't, I have something growing for February that isn't quite ripe enough yet to picked off the tree. 😉 More on this later.

I think this is an interesting idea to say the least BUT as you know, (@Guido75 does) I like shaving themes SO as January is a quiet month, I think this could be a fun idea. I really like that this idea all started with @ralph029 breaking out from the norm using some hardware lost in a drawer, long forgotten.

I myself have a large razor collection, much larger than the soaps or brushes I have in comparison and have long appreciated using the variety of razors I have at my disposal. I believe there is a lot to be learned and gained from experiencing variety. I will admit that like Ralph I sat on a lot of razors. I did this simply because they weren't double edge razors. I've come to learn that was a huge mistake. One that I've now righted.

You both can count me in. I just have to pick the lucky participants. On this note, I think it would be really cool if we posted our shave-ware candidates when starting to see what each other choose for gear possibilities.

Oh and I was thinking. Once the two or so weeks are up were can call ourselves S.Y.R.E.s. Shave Yahtzee Rotation Experimenters. Ehh? Get it?

Hopefully this gets more traction with some other gentlemen joining and if it doesn't, I have something growing for February that isn't quite ripe enough yet to picked off the tree. 😉 More on this later.
Hmmmm... Fellow S.Y.R.E.s, kinda has a nice ring to it.
I agree that we should post our line ups.
I do have a few questions. Are we good with the sheet I developed to list the gear line up or does it need to be modified? Is Jan 8th still a good day to start or do we want to amend it to the first two weeks of Jan or the last two weeks? Did anyone think of a 6th way to build lather?

Last edited:
Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

BrushSoap/CreamRazorBladeLather Method

So here is a basic template. I am going to fill in one with the decisions I have made at this point. I haven't made all the decisions yet but here is a start. If anyone has a 6th option for Lather Method, let me know.

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

1Semogue Excelsior 830
Lupo .95 OCFeatherBowl
2Omega Mixed Midget
Jaws .84 OCAstra SPFace
3Zenith Traditional Horse
Fatip Storto Chrome Original7 O'clock BlackMug
4Zenith Manchurian 2-Band
Muhle R41 GrandePerma SharpScuttle

Personna Lab BlueHand

Treet Dura Sharp(Roll again)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm okay with this format. I'm also okay with stating January 8th.

For your last question about ways to lather, you've stated these "Bowl/Face/Scuttle/Mug/Hand". What about straight from the jar? I mean this doesn't count for creams (typically) but for soaps building lather straight from the jar is different to me than with a bowl, scuttle or mug.

For your last question about ways to lather, you've stated these "Bowl/Face/Scuttle/Mug/Hand". What about straight from the jar? I mean this doesn't count for creams (typically) but for soaps building lather straight from the jar is different to me than with a bowl, scuttle or mug.
I was always under the impression that was face lathering. I don't think too many companies sell soap in containers that have that much room in them. I might be wrong though.

+1, the setup works fine for me. We could introduce specific instructions of course, such as your main reason for starting Yahtzee - so the main rule would be to list those items that you feel have not gotten much attention lately. You can of course list your favorite gear, but the trick is to use the stuff that gets less favor.

As for the lathering part - I have a bowl and a face, so I might need to duplicate the same entries a number of times. But other than that I think we should be good to go. I suggest opening up a specific thread to brothers can easily enroll - or use this one obviously.

I may start early just to test drive :biggrin1::laugh:

Guido.

Had some slow time at work lastnight, so I threw this together. Will be using it to choose my Shave of the Week gear most of the time.

Thanks for the idea @ralph029

20221222_101333.jpg

As for the lathering part - I have a bowl and a face, so I might need to duplicate the same entries a number of times.
I figured that if someone can't make up 6 items in a category they could use multiple pips for each that they can. In your case, for example all the odd pips could be face and the even pips bowl. Or just keep rolling until you get a pip that matches.
Had some slow time at work lastnight, so I threw this together. Will be using it to choose my Shave of the Week gear most of the time.

Thanks for the idea @ralph029

View attachment 1575965
Very nice!

Alright, I'm set. After lots of thought, here it is and why:

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

1Semogue Galahad C3 Premium ITChiseled Face CryogeniKon Razor B1 OCFeatherBowl
2Omega Mixed MidgetFine Snake BiteMerkur 45 BakeliteAstra SPFace
3Zenith Traditional HorseStirling Smoked GrapefruitFatip Storto Chrome Original7 O'clock BlackMug
4Zenith Manchurian 2-BandSoap Commander InfluenceMuhle R41 GrandePerma SharpScuttle
5Omega EVO E1863PAA Clown FruitFine SlantPersonna Lab BlueHand
6Semogue Owner's Club TajMuhle Shaving Stick Sea BuckthornMerkur 25C OCTreet Dura Sharp(Roll again)

Brush. I have a lot of brushes and I use most of them. I thought that this would be a good chance to not get stuck on one kind for a while. That happens with me quite a bit.

Soap. I have A LOT of soaps, I mean A LOT. Not only do I have several from a lot of different manufactures but I also make soap. If a soap does not work for me, I get rid of it. I don't keep soaps I do not like. I just thought this was an interesting mix.

Razor. This is the group at the bottom of the bin. We're going to revisit these and maybe fall in love with something long forgotten.

Blade. I have been stuck on Astra SP for years. I recently (this month in fact) started playing around with Feathers again. This is an opportunity to try some new blades that I have been wanting to try but had no reason to move on from what works.

Lather. Same thing with lathering. I'm a dyed in the wool scuttle man. Let's try something new.

Bring on Shave Yahtzee!

I think I have sorted out my list for January.

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

1Omega Super BadgerTabacTechFeatherFace
2Omega ProrasoDutchy Bergamot
NEW FBLondon BridgeBowl
3Omega RomaAlphaMen 2.0Matador Deluxe
Dorco TitanHybrid
4Simpson T3ProrasoNEW ImprovedGillette Silver BlueFace
5Razorock Plissoft 400HaslingerKCGGillette BlacksBowl
6DVH SyntheticLavandaRazorine FlatboyPersonna RedHybrid

Merry Christmas,

Guido

I think I have sorted out my list for January.

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

1Omega Super BadgerTabacTechFeatherFace
2Omega ProrasoDutchy Bergamot
NEW FBLondon BridgeBowl
3Omega RomaAlphaMen 2.0Matador Deluxe
Dorco TitanHybrid
4Simpson T3ProrasoNEW ImprovedGillette Silver BlueFace
5Razorock Plissoft 400HaslingerKCGGillette BlacksBowl
6DVH SyntheticLavandaRazorine FlatboyPersonna RedHybrid

Merry Christmas,

Guido
What's a hybrid lather? Please do tell. 🤔

Alright, I'm set. After lots of thought, here it is and why:

Shave Yahtzee

Dice Color/Number

Dice Pip12345

1Semogue Galahad C3 Premium ITChiseled Face CryogeniKon Razor B1 OCFeatherBowl
2Omega Mixed MidgetFine Snake BiteMerkur 45 BakeliteAstra SPFace
3Zenith Traditional HorseStirling Smoked GrapefruitFatip Storto Chrome Original7 O'clock BlackMug
4Zenith Manchurian 2-BandSoap Commander InfluenceMuhle R41 GrandePerma SharpScuttle
5Omega EVO E1863PAA Clown FruitFine SlantPersonna Lab BlueHand
6Semogue Owner's Club TajMuhle Shaving Stick Sea BuckthornMerkur 25C OCTreet Dura Sharp(Roll again)

Brush. I have a lot of brushes and I use most of them. I thought that this would be a good chance to not get stuck on one kind for a while. That happens with me quite a bit.

Soap. I have A LOT of soaps, I mean A LOT. Not only do I have several from a lot of different manufactures but I also make soap. If a soap does not work for me, I get rid of it. I don't keep soaps I do not like. I just thought this was an interesting mix.

Razor. This is the group at the bottom of the bin. We're going to revisit these and maybe fall in love with something long forgotten.

Blade. I have been stuck on Astra SP for years. I recently (this month in fact) started playing around with Feathers again. This is an opportunity to try some new blades that I have been wanting to try but had no reason to move on from what works.

Lather. Same thing with lathering. I'm a dyed in the wool scuttle man. Let's try something new.

Bring on Shave Yahtzee!

I'm making a change to my lineup. I am replacing the Semogue Owner's Club Taj with the Simpson Trafalgar T3. I've done a month straight with boar brushes. I think one in the rotation for this challenge is good enough.

I'm making a change to my lineup. I am replacing the Semogue Owner's Club Taj with the Simpson Trafalgar T3. I've done a month straight with boar brushes. I think one in the rotation for this challenge is good enough.
And you cannot go wrong with a T3. A wonderful brush! Got one for Christmas.

Guido

Happy New Year folks! I hope everyone is having a good time and being safe. Jan 8th is just around the corner. I just finished up a month of boar brush usage so I was getting my stuff together and set aside for Shave Yahtzee. The lather method was going to be hard to take a pic of so I left that row out ;) I'll be posting my results/shaves starting the morning of the 8th.

20221231_143545.jpg

Just played my first Shave Yahtzee and I am already having fun with this! New rotation in place, new blades to try and soaps to bring up in number usage.

I made two adjustments in the schedule (not the spreadsheet, but when I will use what): I want to use my Timeless every other day and every Monday is reversed for the R41 in Mühle Monday. I am now set for the first two weeks!

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido

Date
365 days of shaving6/365
(100%)
GRUYERE6/365 (100%)
GRUME January6/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe with Razorine 72 handle
Personna Red (7)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

This week has been about dry runs with Shave Yahtzee to see if I can get it to work and how much I like it (which I do!)

Shave Yahtzee came up with the combination of the Matador razor and Personna blade.

The combination was smooth and comfortable with effortless glide across my face and neck aided by an excellent lather from the Fat.

The blade performed really well and I wasn’t actually expecting that. So far Reds have been more in the 5-6 range, but I feel this blade has some mileage left.
Further details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave.

Date
365 days of shaving6/365
(100%)
GRUYERE6/365 (100%)
GRUME January6/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsShave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Matador Deluxe with Razorine 72 handle
Personna Red (7)Omega Roma Capitolina
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mitchell’s Wool Fat
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)9.5/10 (tiny weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

This week has been about dry runs with Shave Yahtzee to see if I can get it to work and how much I like it (which I do!)

Shave Yahtzee came up with the combination of the Matador razor and Personna blade.

The combination was smooth and comfortable with effortless glide across my face and neck aided by an excellent lather from the Fat.

The blade performed really well and I wasn’t actually expecting that. So far Reds have been more in the 5-6 range, but I feel this blade has some mileage left.
Further details can be found here.

Enjoy your shave.
I'm really glad to hear that the idea worked in reality. It is reassuring that you had a combination come together that you didn't think would work actually turn into something you enjoyed. I can only imagine the inverse will happen as well to those of us who try this. I am really looking forward to the controlled chaos starting on Sunday!

This looks like fun. Thanks @Guido75 for point this out. I'll follow along. Have some great shaves all! Read through but best I could do is a random dice picked razor. I don't have a bowl or brush, one cream, one razor, and two aftershaves. lol

This looks like fun. Thanks @Guido75 for point this out. I'll follow along. Have some great shaves all! Read through but best I could do is a random dice picked razor. I don't have a bowl or brush, one cream, one razor, and two aftershaves. lol
Feel free to play along with us with what you do have. It's all about breaking out of a rut and learning through forced randomization. Maybe someday there will be hard and fast rules, but not this day.

Top Bottom