What's new

Shave Yahtzee Anyone?

Tomorrow is the 8th. I just got a new razor yesterday and am only going to be able to use it once before Yahtzee kicks in :sad: I hope this turns out as fun as I hope it will. I'm looking forward to seeing what the game brings for everyone.

I got a great combination lined up for tomorrow that I have never tried before: KCG razor with a Feather blade.

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido

I got some new gear for Christmas so will be ignoring the dice for a bit. Want to get used to the new stuff and possibly stick with a couple soaps to get them gone.

Be well
Jay

Date
365 days of shaving8/365
(100%)
GRUYERE8/365 (100%)
GRUME January8/31 (100%)
Discovery Blade AdventureBolzano 3/3
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3
Other participationsJanuary Shave Yahtzee (here)

Passes3.5
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)
N: Slanted (SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCGFeather (2)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (CCS+/DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Weirdest shave today. Shave Yahtzee presented my first razor and my sharpest blade. They got along, but the combination proved to be almost useless for shaving. The Feather was on its second run, supposedly the sharpest point for a Feather. Maybe the angle was off or maybe the operator had the shaving angle wrong and needs to keep working at his technique.

The Razorock made lather in spades and all passes were with rich slickly creamy lather. Excellent stuff!

More notes to this shave can be found here.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!

Date
365 days of shaving8/365
(100%)
GRUYERE8/365 (100%)
GRUME January8/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3.5
WXTG (2)
C: Gillette Slide (NW-SE)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW)
ATG
C: Straight (S-N)

Razor
Blade
Brush
KCGFeather (2)Razorock Plissoft 400
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Tabac
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Floïds the Genuine (AS) and Nivea (Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
7/10 (~25 minutes)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort
7/10 (CCS+/DFS-)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to today’s shave:

Weirdest shave today. Shave Yahtzee presented my first razor and my sharpest blade. They got along, but the combination proved to be almost useless for shaving. The Feather was on its second run, supposedly the sharpest point for a Feather. Maybe the angle was off or maybe the operator had the shaving angle wrong and needs to keep working at his technique.

The Razorock made lather in spades and all passes were with rich slickly creamy lather. Excellent stuff!

More notes to this shave can be found here.

Enjoy your Sunday shave!
What is a KCG? I'm not familiar with the initialism.

I thought that part of this challenge would be how well we adapt to change. I'm hoping that skill overcomes the situations that present odd combinations.

What is a KCG? I'm not familiar with the initialism.

I thought that part of this challenge would be how well we adapt to change. I'm hoping that skill overcomes the situations that present odd combinations.
Hi Ralph,

The KCG is the latest DE razor by Gillette (2020 or so) - King C Gillette together with branded blades. Excellent blades by the way.

And yes, I like that this challenge resulted in new combinations to explore how I could deal with those. And as @Butch Waxx said - there is always tomorrow’s shave!

Cheers,

Guido

Shave Yahtzee Day 1

What a good start. The roll gave me: Fine Slant paired with a Feather blade. Soap Commander (my favorite soap manufacturer) Influence. Face lathering with a Zenith regular Horse Hair brush.

Slants for me always require a lot of concentration. The X and Y of the head has to be just right for it to work efficiently. I also am not a fan of aluminum razors. I always really have to resist pressing hard. Today, I paid attention and got a wonderfully smooth and efficient shave.

Face lather with a horse? Who would have thought such a thing was an actual thing? Well, I only face later when I travel and then only with a synth. I was so impressed with this lather. Since I am using a regular and not an extra soft horse, the lathering was soft and slightly scritchy. I don't think I would have ever done that had the dice not rolled it for me.

Day 1 seems to be a great start!

20230108_082009.jpg

Glad you're playing along regardless of how many dice you get to use. I hope it's fun for you too!
It was nice having a mystery pick. I also generally never use the skin bracer. It's my least favorite aftershave in my cabinet. 😂

But this will be good and lead me to use some of my razors I don't normally reach for too. Funny my first day rolling picked my most used razor.

It was nice having a mystery pick. I also generally never use the skin bracer. It's my least favorite aftershave in my cabinet. 😂

But this will be good and lead me to use some of my razors I don't normally reach for too. Funny my first day rolling picked my most used razor.
I think the saving gods smiled on you, me and @Guido75 by giving us all something familiar and safe to work with :wink2:

Definitely not the razor I usually pick. Don't remember the last time I used this one :lol:

Cream: Cremo original
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade E1 Flair tip super speed w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck Speik
Dome care: Nivea Sensitive balm
IMG_20230108_203952343.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving9/365
(100%)
GRUYERE9/365 (100%)
GRUME January9/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WTGC: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
N: Gillette Slant (NW-SE in a N-S motion)
WXTG
C: Slanted Gillette Slide (NW-SE in a NW-SE motion)
N: Gillette Slant (NE-SW in a S-N motion)
ATG
C: Straight/Slanted (S-N and SW-NE)

Razor
Blade
Brush
Mühle R41Gillette 7 o’clock black (2)Omega Proraso
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash
Proraso Green (AS and Balm)

Efficiency
Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)9/10 (minor weepers on the chin)
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)
8/10 (smooth, but some redness)

Notes to today’s shave:

Shave Yahtzee combined the Indian Gillette 7o’clocks with the R41 today. I don’t think I shaved with this combination before. And it turned out to be smooth and comfortable. The end result was a nice and smooth BBS.

More details can be found here.

Great start of the week. Enjoy your shave!

Shave Yahtzee Day 2

The dice were not as kind to me today. The roll gave me: Ikon B1 OC paired with a 7'Oclock Black blade. Stirling Soap Company Smoky Grapefruit. Mug lathering with a Omega Mixed Midget.

I think that there are several reasons why this shave wasn't very good. The 7 O'clock in the Ikon felt more like hacking than cutting. It required many passes to get to a decent shave. While not my best razor, I don't remember struggling with that razor that much in the past.

There is a reason why I don't Stirling soaps. I don't think they work with my water well. When I make soap, I have to add a few things to it to make it work with our horrible AZ water. Every Stirling soap I try (that I remember) just doesn't build a good quality lather that lubricates well. Our water here is horrible.

I like the Mixed Midget brush but in that deep mug, it made quite a mess. I had soap all over my fingers and hand and had to rinse it several times in the creation of the lather. It's a great face latherer, but in that particular mug, I'll pass (unless the dice deem it so again).

20230109_072324.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving10/365
(100%)
GRUYERE10/365 (100%)
GRUME January10/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBDorco Titan (1)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)

Notes to today’s shave:

I am liking the surprise element more and more. For today Shave Yahtzee combined my favourite razor with probably my favourite blade.

It has been a while since I used a fresh Titan and I kind of forgot the owner’s manual - careful on the first shave for the coating to slightly smoothen out. In combination with too much pressure in the goatee area and right cheek resulted in a couple of weepers. I think the combination can do better with the operator more alert and awake perhaps. The overall result however is smoothness all around.

I did cheat with the soap. Proraso was up, but in honour of the departure of my wife’s friend back to the US I decided to use Mike’s Barbershop she gifted to me last week. This soap is so amazing! Barbershop, but I am convinced I smelled apples this morning!

All in all great shave with splendid results.

Enjoy you shave!

Shave Yahtzee Day 3

Interesting day today. The roll gave me: Merkur 45 Bakelite paired with a Personna Lab Blue. Muhle Shave Stick Sea Buckthorn. Bowl lathering with a Zenith Manchurian 2-Band badger.

The Bakelite is a very mild razor that is exceptional for travel. Typically it's very difficult for me to achieve a really close shave but certainly good enough for work. The Persona Lab Blue made this a bit easier. This is the first time I have used this blade. I'm looking forward to using it in a much more aggressive razor. It cut very smoothly.

Lathering in a bowl using a shave stick is challenging, but doable. I would imagine if I lopped off a piece of the soap and put it in the bowl, it would have been much easier. I think that would have defeated the purpose of the shave stick though. I really have fallen in love with all things Zenith!

20230110_070637.jpg

Date
365 days of shaving10/365
(100%)
GRUYERE10/365 (100%)
GRUME January10/31 (100%)
Timor 3/3
Eddison 3/3

Passes3
WXTG
ATG

Razor
Blade
Brush
Timeless Ti95 SCBDorco Titan (1)Simpson T3
Pre-shave
Soap & Bowl
Post-shave
Cold splash
Mike’s Natural Soap Barbershop
Mostly face lathered
Cold splash
KCG face wash

Efficiency
Quality
EffectivenessComfort
9/10 (BBS)

Notes to today’s shave:

I am liking the surprise element more and more. For today Shave Yahtzee combined my favourite razor with probably my favourite blade.

It has been a while since I used a fresh Titan and I kind of forgot the owner’s manual - careful on the first shave for the coating to slightly smoothen out. In combination with too much pressure in the goatee area and right cheek resulted in a couple of weepers. I think the combination can do better with the operator more alert and awake perhaps. The overall result however is smoothness all around.

I did cheat with the soap. Proraso was up, but in honour of the departure of my wife’s friend back to the US I decided to use Mike’s Barbershop she gifted to me last week. This soap is so amazing! Barbershop, but I am convinced I smelled apples this morning!

All in all great shave with splendid results.

Enjoy you shave!
I've never tried the Timor blade. I think I'm going to have to track some down and give them a shot. I will also have to look into the Mike's. Like I need ANOTHER soap! hehehe

Cream: Cremo original
Dice rolls
Razor/Blade: Pre-War Canadian Tech w/ Astra SP
Aftershave: face/neck - Proraso Green & head - Nivea Sensitive
View attachment 1585792
I've always been impressed by you guys that can treat your head the same way you do your face. For me, they are completely different. If I used on my head what I use on my face, it would be a blood bath. The only thing that is the same for me is the soap used. I even use a different brush. The reason for the brush difference is now that I have used a Zenith The Big One, I just can't go back to a smaller knot on my head.

Top Bottom