What's new

Best-of list for sensitive skin 2024

Hello, everyone! Long-time lurker of this forum and first-time posting. Other than a safety razor, it has been several years since I have used other traditional wet-shaving products such as a brush and soap. Recently, I have decided that I missed such things and would like to get back into it. In the categories below, which products have been the kindest to your sensitive skin? I realize that a best of list is very subjective, but I would love to know what products have stood out for you. I have scoured the latest threads in the forums and have noticed certain products being repeatedly mentioned. However, I thought it would be nice for those with sensitive skin like myself who are either getting back into traditional wet-shaving or those who are new to it to have the latest and greatest recommendations all in one place. Thank you in advance for any replies and thank you to everyone who has previously posted for all of the great recommendations over the years.

Best-of list:
1.) Pre-shave cleanser:
2.) Pre-shave:
3.) Brush:
4.) Soap or cream:
5.) Razor:
6.) Blades:
7.) Balm:
8.) Non-alcohol splash:
9.) Alcohol splash:

Last edited:
Brush: any soft synthetic, and make the lather in a bowl. Use the brush to apply the lather to the shaving area

Soap: Any unscented soap works fine

Razor: Gillette Tech or similar

Blade: sharper is better, for the most part. Polsilver SI has been my go-to for years

Balm: I really like Pacific Shave's caffeinated aftershave. It has a mild spearmint scent to it. For unscented my vote is PAA's Unscented Star Jelly. Really nice stuff.

So, this is not shaving soap specific...I have occasional breakouts of eczema, and my dermatologist told me to use Dove Sensitive Skin to wash with when the irritation is active. It works for me, and I am sure in a pinch I can use it for shaving also.

Hello, everyone! Long-time lurker of this forum and first-time posting. Other than a safety razor, it has been several years since I have used other traditional wet-shaving products such as a brush and soap. Recently, I have decided that I missed such things and would like to get back into it. In the categories below, which products have been the kindest to your sensitive skin? I realize that a best of list is very subjective, but I would love to know what products have stood out for you. I have scoured the latest threads in the forums and have noticed certain products being repeatedly mentioned. However, I thought it would be nice for those with sensitive skin like myself who are either getting back into traditional wet-shaving or those who are new to it to have the latest and greatest recommendations all in one place. Thank you in advance for any replies and thank you to everyone who has previously posted for all of the great recommendations over the years.

Best-of list:
1.) Pre-shave cleanser:
2.) Pre-shave:
3.) Brush:
4.) Soap or cream:
5.) Razor:
6.) Blades:
7.) Balm:
8.) Non-alcohol splash:
9.) Alcohol splash:
Here are my thoughts, as someone with rosacea.

Best-of list:
1.) Pre-shave cleanser: Paula's Choice face cleaner, PC 4 MEN.
2.) Pre-shave: none
3.) Brush: APSCO SynBad synthetic, PAA Tribble synthetic (Green Ray)
4.) Soap or cream: PAA Scentsless CK-6, and Stirling makes 3 different unscented soaps!
5.) Razor: Karve Overlander, Henson Mild
6.) Blades: I like Personna Platinum Chrome and Comfort Coated
7.) Balm: Zingari Man makes 2 great ones, as does Stirling.
8.) Non-alcohol splash: Zingari Man Recovery splash

Razor: Henson Mild + Astra SP

Preshave: Cerave cleanser

Use cold water for the complete shave

Soap: Saponificio Varesino, any scent

AS: Saponificio Varesino AS/ Nivea Balm/ Zingari balms

Brush: Soft synthetic

Avoid alum

I would try the Proraso sensitive skin kit in the Vintage Toccasana Tin Gift pack. You get Proraso sensitive skin Shave cream, preshave, and balm in a nice gift box at a discounted price for the set. I use the Preshave, and the balm

My list will be limited to only two rules:

1. Do not use Arco soap! It's heavy chemistry.

2. Do not use alum under any circumstances!

Against the background of modern aftershaves and balms, it is pure madness to burn our skin, putting salt in the wound. These are methods from several centuries ago.

Wet Shaving is like many things in life, you can read info, watch U-Tubes, but the acid test for each person is lathering face, and shaving. NOTHING BEAT Experience, and Practice.

Be happy uyoi live in 2024, not 1960, as there was not online resources.

Avoid some of the cheaper soaps. I find arko and pamolive will give excellent shaves, but they irritate my face after a few shaves
I'm afraid those soaps and creams which do not irritate are on the expensive side,, Sv, mdc, musgo real cream and acqua di parma. Proraso is kind as well if you want to try a bargain soap.
I agree that alum may be the worst thing if your skin is sensitive.

I'm afraid those soaps and creams which do not irritate are on the expensive side,, Sv, mdc, musgo real cream and acqua di parma. Proraso is kind as well if you want to try a bargain soap.
I wouldn't necessarily say that you have to buy expensive soaps to avoid irritation. I agree that Proraso can be a good option (maybe Proraso White or Blue, if particularly sensitive). And as others have mentioned, Stirling's unscented options are good. I'll also put in a good word for Cella Bio.

I wouldn't necessarily say that you have to buy expensive soaps to avoid irritation. I agree that Proraso can be a good option (maybe Proraso White or Blue, if particularly sensitive). And as others have mentioned, Stirling's unscented options are good. I'll also put in a good word for Cella Bio.
Hi, I was just going by what I've experienced.

Reactions: 1e4
Yeah, pretty much what everyone else said. Opinions are going to be all over the place and it is almost impossible for one person to have tried everything.

Soap: Agree on the Cella Bio as a frequent user, along with Proraso, Stirling (mostly Sheep, but also Beeswax and Beef), Canada Shave Soap, and a couple artisans. They're all enjoyable, but Bio in particular leaves me with the happiest skin over several days where problems have time to stack up. I don't like the scent all that much, but always get a good shave with it.

Blades: Anyone reacting to various platinum or chrome coatings might try Treet's grind. The brand as a whole seems to be polarizing with a lot of variation amongst their lines, but the carbon steel, teflon coated Dura Sharps in the blue tucks are a personal favorite. Treet Classics are even smoother but slightly less sharp.

Reactions: 1e4
so so personal but here is what works me with insane sensitive skin

1.) Pre-shave cleanser: none I do believe warm water rinse repeat a bunch with a gentle cloth is all we need just before shave BUT for cleansing the night before I use Cerave gentle face stuff super nice but I can not do it the day of the shave or I get a more irritated skin
2.) Pre-shave: none why use more things on my sensitive face again I get worse results using these and a great soap should not need it IMHO
3.) Brush: muhle STF from RV is my choice
4.) Soap or cream: Soap for me is Noble Otter and Cream is CC Cream, SV also if you want a non tallow option or just a option as that stuff is amazing and TOBS for another cream the one for sensitive skin smells amazing
5.) Razor: Timeless Ti .68 SB mild and comfy but gets the job done Or a wolfman .95 or under
6.) Blades: GSB this is something one needs to find for themselves
7.) Balm: none do not like balms at all they sit on top to much IMHO
8.) Non-alcohol splash: Lucky Tiger or SV (SV is expensive but insane good)
9.) Alcohol splash: Old Spice for nostalgia for pure comfort see above :) but yeah prefer no sting and no alcohol

10.) you did not have but I am adding Neutrogena Hydro Gel ! This is the bees knees :) it makes the finish so so so nice and just needs to be tried thread on it here get the non scented one !!! NOT the scented one

I like Pacific Shaving Company Natural Shaving Oil and Proraso sensitive skin shaving cream. For me, the least irritating shave (so far) is with a Rockwell S6, with an undated post-war ball-end Tech a close second.

I have pretty sensitive skin and think any milder razor will do. From a skin sensitivity standpoint, I've really liked my Tatara Muramasa but I think any neutral or negative exposure razor would be similar in feel probably? I also use my Slim a lot, and like it just as much.

My favorite cream or soap is Kiss My Face unscented cream.

I don't usually use a brush but when I do it's a synthetic.

I also don't use any aftershave products except unscented sunscreen, usually Neutrogena.

Best-of list:
1.) Pre-shave cleanser:
2.) Pre-shave:
3.) Brush:
4.) Soap or cream:
5.) Razor:
6.) Blades:
7.) Balm:
8.) Non-alcohol splash:
9.) Alcohol splash:
I also have very sensitive skin. Everybody’s skin and body chemistry can vary greatly whether sensitive or not. Every man’s whisker growth also varies greatly. The whiskers themselves will also vary greatly. That brings us to the list. There is no pat list that will or can cover all variations for normal or sensitive skin. Wet shaving is a journey in trying and using products and equipment to best suit your shaving needs. A product claiming to be the best for sensitive skin may well be a toxic choice for your shave. Trying it in your shave on your skin is the only way to find out. My journey with sensitive skin I tried a dozen or so pre shaves, probably a couple dozen shave soaps. Over a couple dozen razors if I counted straights, Kamasori and De razors. Always searching for an improvement to my sensitive skin issues. Can you resolve your sensitive skin issues absolutely. It will not be with a list and a quick trip down to the corner drug store making a one time purchase. That would be to easy and definitely no fun.

My sensitive skin issues took over two years to resolve. My best designed shave took another year or so. It is a slow methodical process if you are shaving and trying to resolve sensitive skin issues.

My best advice to you would be. Do everything you can to keep and maintain your skin as healthy as possible. Never shave irritated skin it will only exasperate the problem. Once you have decided on a basic shave kit with shave products, do not change anything unless it is causing skin irritation. Than get rid of it, trash it, do not continue using something that isn’t working for you. Post shave routines are very beneficial and nurturing to good skin health. Find products that work for your skin issues.

As you are learning to shave try to move towards the most efficient razors and the sharpest blades. The most efficient razors combined with the sharpest blades will lead you to better technique. Better technique will reduce the number of shave strokes and reduce skin contact with the apex of the blade. Do Not Use Tugging Dull Blades.

Shaving is a learned, practiced process. Most of all try to RELAX and ENJOY your shaves.

Good Luck and Happy Shaves

Reading the thread I'm curious nobody has (yet) mentioned using a specific aggressive razor with less passes, though, the post above seems to be pointing that way mentioning "efficiency?" I haven't gone the R41 route but I'm close. I'm just too cheap. :001_smile

Reading the thread I'm curious nobody has (yet) mentioned using a specific aggressive razor with less passes, though, the post above seems to be pointing that way mentioning "efficiency?" I haven't gone the R41 route but I'm close. I'm just too cheap. :001_smile
I did try that with both a Rex and a Lupo and both even to much blade :)
for sure I could see why some love that but for me no go :)

Top Bottom