What's new

Shame on you

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Head to the Barber Shop and look for Shame on you. Start from there. You might like to have a good strong coffee with you. It will take a while to read through the thread.

Last edited:
It's just a completely ridiculous advert. This is a recent trend - completely ignore the product you're selling and just produce an emotive feeling-tugging advert that makes you think the manufacturers are "good people". Another good example is Lloyds Bank's advert about mental health:

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/arti...campaign-channel-4s-diversity-contest/1455945

Since this is trending we can look forward to plenty more ridiculous ads like these. Do razors care about bullying? Do banks care about mental health? What's the connection? Yeah right - there isn't one.

Virtue signalling madness! But it's made my decision to stop buying cartridges and cans of goo seem the sensible thing to do. It may cause other gentlemen to come to the same conclusion. Thankfully we are in the golden age of traditional shaving and we have so many fine alternatives to Gillette.

Now I know this may be controversial to say, and I hope no one takes this as a personal attack on them or that I am directing it towards anyone, just want to answer the question posed. I do have an issue with the advertisement, and that it is not related to the products for sale whatsoever. HOWEVER, I don't have any issue with the topic or content of the ad. I've seen a lot of people that have taken personal offense from the advertisement, and I think that those concerns are unfounded. To me, I see the advertisement as a call for good behavior and decorum, to take the high road and act civilized and like gentlemen. Nothing more, nothing less.
It isn't scapegoating any particular group of people, nor is it vilifying anything other than behavior that I think most people would agree is not ideal. If we can't create a system of norms in which good character and good behavior is fostered by dialogue and introspection, how else are we supposed to do so?
So again, please understand that I am not saying that people that are finding this ad to be in poor taste are evil, simply that I think that we all should take the message from the advertisement (and the fact that Gillette will be making relatively decent sized donations to nonprofit organizations, starting with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America) for what it is, an attempt to create a dialogue about norms we should see in society, and not as an attack on anyone.

To summarize, the only issue I have with the ad is that it is completely unrelated to any products that the company sells. As for the ad itself, I hope that once the debate over whether or not it should have been released died down, we can then have a dialogue on the merits of the message provided on the needs for fostering better societal norms.

Thank you for reading, and let's please ensure that we are understanding of opposing viewpoints and not harsh in judgement of others, because I certainly harbor no ill-will towards anyone that disagrees with my views on this.

Now I know this may be controversial to say, and I hope no one takes this as a personal attack on them or that I am directing it towards anyone, just want to answer the question posed. I do have an issue with the advertisement, and that it is not related to the products for sale whatsoever. HOWEVER, I don't have any issue with the topic or content of the ad. I've seen a lot of people that have taken personal offense from the advertisement, and I think that those concerns are unfounded. To me, I see the advertisement as a call for good behavior and decorum, to take the high road and act civilized and like gentlemen. Nothing more, nothing less.
It isn't scapegoating any particular group of people, nor is it vilifying anything other than behavior that I think most people would agree is not ideal. If we can't create a system of norms in which good character and good behavior is fostered by dialogue and introspection, how else are we supposed to do so?
So again, please understand that I am not saying that people that are finding this ad to be in poor taste are evil, simply that I think that we all should take the message from the advertisement (and the fact that Gillette will be making relatively decent sized donations to nonprofit organizations, starting with the Boys and Girls Clubs of America) for what it is, an attempt to create a dialogue about norms we should see in society, and not as an attack on anyone.

To summarize, the only issue I have with the ad is that it is completely unrelated to any products that the company sells. As for the ad itself, I hope that once the debate over whether or not it should have been released died down, we can then have a dialogue on the merits of the message provided on the needs for fostering better societal norms.

Thank you for reading, and let's please ensure that we are understanding of opposing viewpoints and not harsh in judgement of others, because I certainly harbor no ill-will towards anyone that disagrees with my views on this.
Well said and I agree. :a14:

As a father and grandfather of women and girls, I applaud any effort to treat them with respect and dignity. I applaud any effort to enlighten, encourage, and enforce if necessary that all people are granted life, liberty, and to persue their own best interest without malice, fear, or prejudice.

Spot on

I think most people object to the moralising and virtue signalling in the ad, it's been down voted to oblivion on youtube, and it appears they're now having to go into damage control by censoring the comment section and deleting down votes, etc.

classic example of Get Woke Go Broke :lol1:

Exactly, i have a difficult time to understand how people can defend this kind of behaviour or said ad. It will be hard to give up the excellent Gillette DE blades, but their other products can be easily replaced, and i will avoid them from now on.

Thank you for reading, and let's please ensure that we are understanding of opposing viewpoints and not harsh in judgement of others, because I certainly harbor no ill-will towards anyone that disagrees with my views on

No offence taken. I'm sure as gentlemen none of us can argue against the message. My issue is with the cynical bandwagon jumping of the advertising agency employed, cause a bit of controversy and get the brand in the headlines. Rest assured the only thing Gillette care about is dollars and cents! In fact it may be a good time to sell the Fatboy and Superspeed there must be a lot of social justice shavers out there! I must emphasise this is only my opinion and I have nothing but respect for anyone with a differing point of view, but the question was asked.

It's just a completely ridiculous advert. This is a recent trend - completely ignore the product you're selling and just produce an emotive feeling-tugging advert that makes you think the manufacturers are "good people". Another good example is Lloyds Bank's advert about mental health:

https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/arti...campaign-channel-4s-diversity-contest/1455945

Since this is trending we can look forward to plenty more ridiculous ads like these. Do razors care about bullying? Do banks care about mental health? What's the connection? Yeah right - there isn't one.

Coca-Cola's "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" ad was a "Hey, we're good people" without the lecture. Political posturing in advertisements is, well, political posturing. I think those who pointed out that most are turned off by Gillette's lecturing have hit it spot-on. Would I care about their virtue signaling if that didn't seem to be accompanied by lectures? Very likely. I had no problem with people wearing ribbons for various causes, and that's virtue signaling when you think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom