What's new

Leather Holster Maker Recommendations?

My latest handgun is a Commander length Springfield Garrison. I would like a nice holster for it. Like most handgun guys of have the "box of shame" (holsters that didn't cut it). I (and the controller of funds) would like to buy just one nice holster for this one. It needs to be quite nice, but not BBQ Rig level. The guy that made my last "nice" rig retired and now there is no one local, discounting the Kydex guys. Who has had a really nice holster made and who did it? Busted B is looking good any others?

I would love to own a Milt Sparks holster... current wait time is 40! weeks. I don't know about Acker I'll have a look, Thanks.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Sparks, as mentioned above, is excellent but like you said, their wait times are approaching insane at 40 weeks. If you want a Summer special, Brownells usually has them for immediate shipping.

Check out Privateer Leather. At least a couple of us here have one or more holster from Privateer and really like them. Wait times are about 13-14 weeks but he usually has some “in stock” holsters you can purchase.

El Paso saddlery is another holster maker that I’d highly recommend. Wait times ar about 14 weeks.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
"Paging @Acmemfg. " A search of his posts will result in several nice holsters. Most of your custom leather makers will have at least a several week, if not months, wait time. Give us some more details of your requirements and perhaps we can make more specific rec's. IWB or OWB? Cant, high ride or low ride? How will you be dressing, concealment requirements, etc. Whatever you choose, you will need a quality gun belt for comfortable carry regardless of the quality of your holster.

Holsters...lots to choose from. Some great, some good, some not so good.
Holsters from makers like Sam Andrews, R. Grizzle, Milt Sparks are superb in fit and finish. I mean these are great rigs.
Plan on waiting until the next coming of the Messiah for a Sparks or Andrews holster. About 3-4 months for Grizzle. (As an aside...Sam is in the process of moving his shop. Plan on waiting a tad? longer.)

Palmetto Leather in SC is somewhat of a new kid on the block but they're punching above their weight for sure.

Ritchie Leather in Buffalo, NY makes (what I believe is) the best quick release holster out there. Not by a huge margin but at the end of the day, their CQ QR holster gets best of show.

Kirkpatrick Leather out of Texas. Quality gear. A bit less spendy and also has a decent inventory of 1911 holsters in stock ready to ship.

Ditto Mitch Rosen Express gear. Reasonable cost. Often has what you want ready for quick shipping. Very friendly staff I might add😁
Of the lot, I'd give the nod to Sam Andrews as top of the heap. Mostly because he is one of those guys who can built you pretty much whatever you ask for and his work is simply flawless.

Milt Sparks stuff is legendary. Wait for same is also legendary.
Not sure how extensive his custom catalog is...specifically like a thumb break or shoulder rig. However. Sparks' 55BN and PMK holsters are the stuff dreams are made of.

Actually, you ain't gonna go wrong with any of these guys. There are many others most probably just as good, but without whom I have no first hand ("hands on") experience.

Some pictures always help (not all are for a 1911 but you get the idea).
IMG_5424.jpeg

Palmetto Leather Works..HK P2000
IMG_4175.jpeg

Ritchie Leather CQ-QR..Springfield SA35
IMG_3437.jpeg

Andrews Custom Leather..Browning Hi-Power
IMG_6046.jpeg

Mitch Rosen Leather..Colt Delta Elite
IMG_5888.jpeg

Andrews Custom Leather Saddle Holster..Kimber Ultra Carry II
IMG_1132.jpeg

Milt Sparks 55 BN..Kimber Custom II

IMG_5451.jpeg

Kirkpatrick Leather..HK P30
IMG_2352.jpeg

R. Grizzle Workin' Man..CZ75C
IMG_0229.jpeg

And finally...Andrews Custom Leather Saddle Holster with a Ruger SR1911 Commander. Belt by Zach's Gunbelt (but I'd go with an Andrews belt when this one wears out, which it sadly will soon).

Last edited:

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Kinda sorta in order most often worn.

Andrews (usually has quite a few already made).
Privateer Leather. (Often has something on hand)
Grizzle.
Kramer.
High Noon.
Rosen.
Sparks (OWB).

Ones that have disappoint me and are Box of Shame residents:
Busted B (post divorce)/Bullard (the other side)
Simply Rugged
Sparks (Summer Special II)

Holsters...lots to choose from. Some great, some good, some not so good.
Holsters from makers like Sam Andrews, R. Grizzle, Milt Sparks are superb in fit and finish. I mean these are great rigs.
Plan on waiting until the next coming of the Messiah for a Sparks or Andrews holster. About 3-4 months for Grizzle. (As an aside...Sam is in the process of moving his shop. Plan on waiting a tad? longer.)

Palmetto Leather in SC is somewhat of a new kid on the block but they're punching above their weight for sure.

Ritchie Leather in Buffalo, NY makes (what I believe is) the best quick release holster out there. Not by a huge margin but at the end of the day, their CQ QR holster gets best of show.

Kirkpatrick Leather out of Texas. Quality gear. A bit less spendy and also has a decent inventory of 1911 holsters in stock ready to ship.

Ditto Mitch Rosen Express gear. Reasonable cost. Often has what you want ready for quick shipping. Very friendly staff I might add😁
Of the lot, I'd give the nod to Sam Andrews as top of the heap. Mostly because he is one of those guys who can built you pretty much whatever you ask for and his work is simply flawless.

Milt Sparks stuff is legendary. Wait for same is also legendary.
Not sure how extensive his custom catalog is...specifically like a thumb break or shoulder rig. However. Sparks' 55BN and PMK holsters are the stuff dreams are made of.

Actually, you ain't gonna go wrong with any of these guys. There are many others most probably just as good, but without whom I have no first hand ("hands on") experience.

Some pictures always help (not all are for a 1911 but you get the idea).
View attachment 1826357
Palmetto Leather Works..HK P2000
View attachment 1826363
Ritchie Leather CQ-QR..Springfield SA35
View attachment 1826365
Andrews Custom Leather..Browning Hi-Power
View attachment 1826349
Mitch Rosen Leather..Colt Delta Elite
View attachment 1826350
Andrews Custom Leather Saddle Holster..Kimber Ultra Carry II
View attachment 1826351
Milt Sparks 55 BN..Kimber Custom II

View attachment 1826353
Kirkpatrick Leather..HK P30View attachment 1826373
R. Grizzle Workin' Man..CZ75CView attachment 1826375
And finally...Andrews Custom Leather Saddle Holster with a Ruger SR1911 Commander. Belt by Zach's Gunbelt (but I'd go with an Andrews belt when this one wears out, which it sadly will soon).
Thank you for taking the time to put this together, I really appreciate it. Lots to think about.

Kinda sorta in order most often worn.

Andrews (usually has quite a few already made).
Privateer Leather. (Often has something on hand)
Grizzle.
Kramer.
High Noon.
Rosen.
Sparks (OWB).

Ones that have disappoint me and are Box of Shame residents:
Busted B (post divorce)/Bullard (the other side)
Simply Rugged
Sparks (Summer Special II)
Would you be willing to elaborate on What turned you off on Busted B? I like the looks of his Texas Bodyguard (high ride canted pancake). He'll do it with a little tooling and lead times are listed at 12 weeks.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
IMG_0302.jpeg

IMG_0327.jpeg

IMG_0240.png

IMG_0241.png

My Springfield Range Officer is a Commander sized pistol also. I have a 1791 holster with matching mag carrier and belt for OWB and a DeSantis IWB.

While I’m sure neither are the quality of the fancier holsters posted above, but for the money they seem to be of a good enough quality for EDC. More of a working holster for a working 1911.

My Springfield Range Officer isn’t as nice as your Garrison either, so these two holsters fit it well. But I did buy them both off the store shelf with absolutely no wait and they seem to be of durable and lasting kinda quality for a lot less money.

Once I get a shiny Colt, I might wouldn’t mind spending some gold coin and finding the patience to wait months and months on one of the nice holsters above. :)

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Would you be willing to elaborate on What turned you off on Busted B? I like the looks of his Texas Bodyguard (high ride canted pancake). He'll do it with a little tooling and lead times are listed at 12 weeks.
I have a Texas Bodyguard and the leather is simply thinner and less detailed boned than what I like.

Bullard-1.jpg

Versus my Grizzle:

Grizzle-Countryboy.jpg

Last edited:
I've not pulled the trigger on this company yet, however these are first on my list for a leather option. I'm highly intrigued by the design and composition, allowing for some customization. The one thing that attracts me most is the variable retention that can be obtained.

See what you think: check out the vids.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I've not pulled the trigger on this company yet, however these are first on my list for a leather option. I'm highly intrigued by the design and composition, allowing for some customization. The one thing that attracts me most is the variable retention that can be obtained.

See what you think: check out the vids.

My Walther PPS in two different 1791 holsters.

pps-1791.jpg

PPS-1791-2.jpg

View attachment 1826726
View attachment 1826728

View attachment 1826737

View attachment 1826744

My Springfield Range Officer is a Commander sized pistol also. I have a 1791 holster with matching mag carrier and belt for OWB and a DeSantis IWB.

While I’m sure neither are the quality of the fancier holsters posted above, but for the money they seem to be of a good enough quality for EDC. More of a working holster for a working 1911.

My Springfield Range Officer isn’t as nice as your Garrison either, so these two holsters fit it well. But I did buy them both off the store shelf with absolutely no wait and they seem to be of durable and lasting kinda quality for a lot less money.

Once I get a shiny Colt, I might wouldn’t mind spending some gold coin and finding the patience to wait months and months on one of the nice holsters above. :)
It looks quite nice to me. I don't know why I didn't think of them, I bought a friend one of their "EDC" Leatherman, flashlight and whatever carriers for Christmas and it surprised me how well made it was.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It looks quite nice to me. I don't know why I didn't think of them, I bought a friend one of their "EDC" Leatherman, flashlight and whatever carriers for Christmas and it surprised me how well made it was.

It surprised me also, of how thick the leather was and how stiff the molding was and while the boning of the leather might not be in the upper tier ranges of very expensive holster makers, it still surprised me that the boning was still quite decent for the value I paid. I'm pretty sure I got the holster, mag carrier and very usable thick belt with great brass gunfighter's buckle, probably for much less than anyone of those named brand holsters above. There is nothing flimsy or low quality about 1791. Still not top tier like the others here, but their quality definitely exceeds their price point imo. :)

Top Bottom