What's new

Shame on you

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a war on men and Gillette jumped in and it wasn't on our side. If you don't feel betrayed you weren't paying attention. I am raising my grandson and I can see it plainly just in the schools. I thought they were going to take him out to the playground and execute him for sitting on his feet in class. Nearly half the other boys are drugged just for being boys. But when his friends come over to play, you should see the hooting and hollering! My yard is a male safe zone. Every stick could be a gun, every car or shed a fort and when I offer refreshments only one runs the fastest to get the first cookie. Please and thank you are mandatory. I am probably on someone's list...

His favorite shave equipment? The Spiderman brush and soap set.

There is a war on men and Gillette jumped in and it wasn't on our side. If you don't feel betrayed you weren't paying attention. I am raising my grandson and I can see it plainly just in the schools. I thought they were going to take him out to the playground and execute him for sitting on his feet in class. Nearly half the other boys are drugged just for being boys. But when his friends come over to play, you should see the hooting and hollering! My yard is a male safe zone. Every stick could be a gun, every car or shed a fort and when I offer refreshments only one runs the fastest to get the first cookie. Please and thank you are mandatory. I am probably on someone's list...

His favorite shave equipment? The Spiderman brush and soap set.
Someone on another forum called this the Anita-ing of Gillette. (Anybody remember her?)

We have plenty of alternatives to their current and future products. Buying a vintage Red Tip on eBay does not put any money in their pockets, and neither does purchasing an artisan soap. The blades? If they are made in Russia or Israel under license, does Gillette see any part of that? Do they make any brushes that we should stay away from?

Graydog

Biblical Innards
I am a man. I act like a man. I protect my family, I love my God, and I provide for my family. I am not toxic, but will never apologize for being a man.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk
I agree with Chris on what a Man is .
The Problem with the add for me is
Painting a picture that all men act like that , I personally don't know guys that act like that .
There is a talk radio show host here in town that has a saying he uses all the time
"I am Living in a world that I don't understand "

I agree with Chris on what a Man is .
The Problem with the add for me is
Painting a picture that all men act like that

That is not what the ad demonstrates. Rather it shows how a "Man" responds to such deplorable behaviour.

I personally don't know guys that act like that.

Consider yourself lucky. They are all too prevalent in society at large.

There is a talk radio show host here in town that has a saying he uses all the time
"I am Living in a world that I don't understand "

The ad is not really that difficult to comprehend . . . "Don't be an ***. and, when you see someone being an ***, do not be afraid to call them out for their behaviour".

I was brought up you never hit a woman (which I've adhered to my entire life). That said I did arm wrestle a woman in high school--and lost. I think the fault in the ad is it singles out a gender. Bad people are bad people. Good people are good people.

And the big issue is that I thought shaving was my “safe space”. But they’ve done gone and invaded even that.

Look, this is very simple. Most of us come home from working all day to have time with our families and perhaps a little time away from all the conflict in the world.

But our betters in the music industry, the film industry, the sports business, and now big business can't seem to help themselves: they've decided we need lectures.

Pop stars: shut up and sing. We don't need you to tell us whom to vote for. We want to hear a nice song or two.
Film stars: shut up and act. We don't care what your policy preferences are. We want to watch you act and marvel at your talent and perhaps enjoy a great story well-told.
Sports: Shut up and tell us the scores, maybe show a few fun clips.
Big business: shut up and sell me a razor that doesn't hurt my face.

As has been mentioned before, most men don't need a lecture on "toxic masculinity" from Gillette, and those that do won't change as the result of a tv commercial. So it's virtue-signalling all down the line.

If Gillette really wanted to have an impact on things, they could throw a few million dollars to the Big Brothers of America, or other organizations trying to make men out of boys.

And then shut up about it.

If Gillette really wanted to have an impact on things, they could throw a few million dollars to the Big Brothers of America, or other organizations trying to make men out of boys.

Now please don't attack me for pointing this out, I just am putting out a piece of info. Gillette has already pledged to donate $1 million to different nonprofits with this exact mission for each of the next few years, and they've already announced that this year the $1 million is going to The Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Just an FYI.

Look, this is very simple. Most of us come home from working all day to have time with our families and perhaps a little time away from all the conflict in the world.

But our betters in the music industry, the film industry, the sports business, and now big business can't seem to help themselves: they've decided we need lectures.

Pop stars: shut up and sing. We don't need you to tell us whom to vote for. We want to hear a nice song or two.
Film stars: shut up and act. We don't care what your policy preferences are. We want to watch you act and marvel at your talent and perhaps enjoy a great story well-told.
Sports: Shut up and tell us the scores, maybe show a few fun clips.
Big business: shut up and sell me a razor that doesn't hurt my face.

As has been mentioned before, most men don't need a lecture on "toxic masculinity" from Gillette, and those that do won't change as the result of a tv commercial. So it's virtue-signalling all down the line.

And then shut up about it.
Spot on.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Now please don't attack me for pointing this out, I just am putting out a piece of info. Gillette has already pledged to donate $1 million to different nonprofits with this exact mission for each of the next few years, and they've already announced that this year the $1 million is going to The Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
Just an FYI.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. This is how businesses can be admirable corporate citizens. Just spare me the rest!

And: why on earth would you think I would "attack" you for your post? We don't attack each other here on B&B, we have lively discussions on subjects about which we disagree. Would that our politics might do the same!

Last edited:
I love this forum and how most of us respect each other’s opinions for the most part and politics are left out of the equation again, for the most part.

I find that politics are being thrust upon us from all directions in everything nowadays. I have plenty of friends that have different views than I do, but these are my friends and I could care less whom they vote for.

Let’s all be honest here, if you watch the ad and I watched it completely, it is obvious that a political viewpoint is evident. If someone agrees or disagrees, it doesn’t matter, it is an ad with a political viewpoint.

What Gillette has to ask themselves is if the ad served its purpose. It has generated a lot of buzz and everyone is talking about it so yes, they achieved this. The main question is whether they will gain more customers from the ad. It won’t take them long to know. If their sales tank and they loose business, you won’t see this ad campaign for long.

Another question is whether those whom agree with the politics of this ad will see through the curtain and feel they are being catered to by a disingenuous corporation. Unfortunately for Gillette, many feminists are already calling them out on this and reminding people that they overcharge women for the same shaving supplies and fill up all the landfills with plastic.

Time will tell whether this was a huge mistake for them or a genius idea. It won’t be a long time before we all know.

I see a bunch of males , crying “ their picking on me again” . If I saw myself as one of the men depicted in the commercial, I would be mad too . But that’s not me so , I have no complaints.

Excellent! Thanks for the info. This is how businesses can be admirable corporate citizens. Just spare me the rest!

And: why on earth would you think I would "attack" you for your post? We don't attack each other here on B&B, we have lively discussions on subjects about which we disagree. Would that our politics might do the same!

I didn't mean you specifically, I just know that some people like to jump to conclusions and attack people when they just state a fact. Glad you saw what I intended though!

I think my biggest problem with this ad is that it has nothing to do with shaving.
Just a moralist, preachy lecture pandering to the current culture.

I see a bunch of males , crying “ their picking on me again” . If I saw myself as one of the men depicted in the commercial, I would be mad too . But that’s not me so , I have no complaints.

I hear what you are saying. However, lets say an ad depicted any number of other stereotypes, either racial, ethnic, or cultural. Lampooned them and said "c'mon people, don't do that!".

As long as you were a member of one of the groups depicted, yet did not yourself behave in those stereotypical manners, would the ad be just fine in that case?

A few observations of mine on the Gillette ad:
Yes, it is lumping all men together, look at the line of men at the grills they are all chanting "boys will be boys" in a robotic monotone. As if men don't have the capacity for independent thought.
Then they show old, old TV shows highlighting men doing "bad behavior". If you have taken notice in the past decade or two, it's always the men/fathers on TV shows and commercials who are the idiotic bumbling fool, and the women are the wise, patient ones. Every time. Yes, the days of The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are long gone. Replaced with the opposite.
And no one likes to be lectured to, especially when the other gender has just as bad traits generalized to them as well.

Yes, it is lumping all men together, look at the line of men at the grills they are all chanting "boys will be boys" in a robotic monotone. As if men don't have the capacity for independent thought.
Then they show old, old TV shows highlighting men doing "bad behavior". If you have taken notice in the past decade or two, it's always the men/fathers on TV shows and commercials who are the idiotic bumbling fool, and the women are the wise, patient ones. Every time. Yes, the days of The Honeymooners and I Love Lucy are long gone. Replaced with the opposite.
And no one likes to be lectured to, especially when the other gender has just as bad traits generalized to them as well.

Bingo! We have bingo!

Well said, thank you.

To all men "offended" by this ad.. Are you more upset about being falsely accused of being a "bad man" than you are upset about the men this ad is actually aimed at? Because there are men that could stand to hear this ad.

I was watching a report today about how in my area they can't find people to ref games because they fear being attacked by dads. That right there is enough to warrant a message like this.

If you're so insecure that you feel "Team Man" is being slighted or disrespected somehow, then it seems to me your ego might be a tad brittle..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom