What's new

Shame on you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am frankly surprised to see so much antipathy to this ad, because I see it as harkening back to a time where "masculinity" was more in line with what I would think many here would think it should be . . . support for friends and family, helping those in need, protecting those who need it, etc.

Exactly. If it's not for you, then move on. No one is saying "all men" or even "majority of men" but clearly some men could stand to hear this message. And yes, women too that are raising boys. They can be just as bad.

Pop stars: shut up and sing. We don't need you to tell us whom to vote for. We want to hear a nice song or two.
Film stars: shut up and act. We don't care what your policy preferences are. We want to watch you act and marvel at your talent and perhaps enjoy a great story well-told.
Sports: Shut up and tell us the scores, maybe show a few fun clips.
Big business: shut up and sell me a razor that doesn't hurt my face.

Free speech! Except when you don't like the message?

I hear what you are saying. However, lets say an ad depicted any number of other stereotypes, either racial, ethnic, or cultural. Lampooned them and said "c'mon people, don't do that!".

As long as you were a member of one of the groups depicted, yet did not yourself behave in those stereotypical manners, would the ad be just fine in that case?
Unfortunately there is men as depicted in the commercial. If they didn’t exist, there would be nothing for them to say on this subject. To me they are saying ,this is not how to be.Not how “you are “. I just don’t see it as preaching to me as so many seem to be.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
To all men "offended" by this ad.. Are you more upset about being falsely accused of being a "bad man" than you are upset about the men this ad is actually aimed at? Because there are men that could stand to hear this ad.

I was watching a report today about how in my area they can't find people to ref games because they fear being attacked by dads. That right there is enough to warrant a message like this.

If you're so insecure that you feel "Team Man" is being slighted or disrespected somehow, then it seems to me your ego might be a tad brittle..

Free speech! Except when you don't like the message?
+1
Freedom of speech is not the same as freedom from consequences. Gillette is free to make all statements it wishes, just as we are free to spend our money with anyone else but them.

Except the post he was responding to was telling people to just shut up and do their jobs. Very American. There is a difference between, say, boycotting a certain person’s movie, etc, and demanding that they shut up.

It's hard to disagree with the message but what rubs me the wrong way is the self-serving oportunistic grandstanding in their politicized advertisement. It reminds me of the time I was working for a large, nationwide bank and shortly after the 9-11 trajedy I started seeing posters of the U.S. flag with the slogan, "_______ Bank supports America!" Oh (barf) please!

CINCINNATI (Real Fake News) – Responding to the #WhyMe movement of men across the country who have shared their stories of being harangued and henpecked by women, Tampax has released a bold new 90-second “mini-movie” condemning “toxic femininity.”

The ad consists mostly of women nagging men, crashing cars, gossiping, being catty with other women and pulling their hair, crying when they don’t get their way, and just generally being bitchy. At the end of the ad, a calm and reasonable woman with a crew cut and dressed in jeans and a flannel shirt interrupts a woman henpecking her husband for leaving the toilet seat up and helps the wife to recognize her “toxic femininity” and learn to conduct herself more reasonably and rationally.

Tampax is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Procter & Gamble and is one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of tampons. The #WhyMe movement began in 2016 when actor/director Woody Allen went public with his account of being constantly nagged and harangued by his former wife, Mia Farrow. Allen’s public disclosure of the abuse he suffered from Farrow motivated other men to tell their stories under the hashtag #WhyMe.

In a statement, Tampax CEO Daphne Simmons said, “We realize that this new ad will be controversial, but the evil of toxic femininity has been tolerated for far too long. It is time that we women recognize how acting in accordance with our female nature is abusive to men and work to change ourselves to be more like men.”

When asked whether the new ad is insulting to women by stereotyping them, Simmons replied, “Our toxic femininity has made life intolerable for far too many men, many of whom have bravely shared their stories in the #WhyMe movement. It is important to start a conversation about this problem, and Tampax has chosen to lead the way.”

Paraphrasing the ad: "You all suck because some people that share some physical characteristics as you are mean, now give us your money."

I liked it, but I am also in my mid 20s. All the ad was really saying is to behave like a gentlemen. The men MY age being upset the ad is likely because they feel "called out" on their horrible behavior.

I have always treated men, women and children with respect; but have seen plenty of disgusting behavior towards my sisters and female friends. The ad does not pertain to me, Or all men.

The ad is not targeting being "A Man", it's targeting rape culture, bullying, and being toxic towards each other.

To the older gentlemen on this forum: every generation is disappointed with the next, Socrates wrote:
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

The Gillette ad was just saying be a gentlemen and raise your sons to be gentlemen as well. A trait lost in my generation. If you took anything else from that well I don't know what to say.

Should this be in a shaving ad? No, but it is sad that it is even has to be brought up.

Last edited:
Well said and I agree. :a14:

+2 Well said Huck.

I also see the point @mikelz777 is making, as well. hard to tell what is gillette's intent, but hopefully it's for the betterment of society, and not trying to cash in on this opportunity. Maybe I'm just a naive optimist, but I'm hoping gillette did this in an attempt to do some good.

+2 Well said Huck.

I also see the point @mikelz777 is making, as well. hard to tell what is gillette's intent, but hopefully it's for the betterment of society, and not trying to cash in on this opportunity. Maybe I'm just a naive optimist, but I'm hoping gillette did this in an attempt to do some good.

I am sure they did. Being a good corporate citizen that most business strive to achieve. I applaud you for being an optimist. It has to be more healthy than being cynical and suspicious.

First off, I don't want to rehash the current ad, or discuss it. I just want to discuss who has decided to stop using any Gillette products, and what you have chosen in it's place.

I go through phases between straights and DE razors. Currently I'm in the DE phase again. Last year I got a Clix razor, with an all metal head and Bakelight handle. Also found my grail, a Barbasol floating head. Between these two, I've experimented with vintage Gillette's, and honestly I get better shaves from the Clix and Barby. I PIFd all my vintage Gillette's, the only one I still have is a birth quarter Lady Gillette.
Blades: some of my favorites have been Personna Med Preps, Treet Black Beauty, and Bic yellows.

Between razors and blades, I have subconsciously strayed away from Gillette products this past year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom