What's new

Wilkinson sword bades

I usually use GSB blades which give me up to 7 excellent 2 pass shaves with my feather razor.
Ordering soap, I thought I'd try wilkinson sword blades.
First shave was fine, but perhaps not as close as usual, but comfortable enough.
Second day, still comfortable but not nearly as close and I could feel some resistance. I needed 3 passes.
I feel2 shaves is enough.
Not a terrible blade but poor compared to the gillette.
A shame as the smart looking pack promises more.

lasta

Blade Biter
I usually use GSB blades which give me up to 7 excellent 2 pass shaves with my feather razor.
Ordering soap, I thought I'd try wilkinson sword blades.
First shave was fine, but perhaps not as close as usual, but comfortable enough.
Second day, still comfortable but not nearly as close and I could feel some resistance. I needed 3 passes.
I feel2 shaves is enough.
Not a terrible blade but poor compared to the gillette.
A shame as the smart looking pack promises more.
GSBs are top of the list for quite a lot of people. My personal No 1 of all time. It'll tough to beat!

@Roy Since you mentioned the packaging, I assume you're talking about German-made Wilkinson Sword blades, not the Gillette Wilkinson Sword made in India?

I agree, I find Gillette Silver Blue smoother and sharper. And I don't care for the Gillette Wilkinson Sword at all.

ws.jpg

I was expecting great things from the German Wilkinson Sword blades but felt let down when I tried them, not terrible but not my best. I actually preferred the Chinese made Gillette Wilkinson Swords. These are different to the Indian ones posted above, I have not tried those.

1700310186182.png

I was not very impressed with the one GSB I have tried so far but I am about to re-test that, will probably re-test the German Wilkie as well.

Interesting discussion, and a great example of YMMV!! :popc::popc:

For me GSBs are ‘top-tier’ good for 7-10 fine shaves, often more!!

In contrast German Wilkies are solid ‘mid-tier’ blades good for 7 shaves at most.

Interesting discussion, and a great example of YMMV!! :popc::popc:

For me GSBs are ‘top-tier’ good for 7-10 fine shaves, often more!!

In contrast German Wilkies are solid ‘mid-tier’ blades good for 7 shaves at most.
These Van der Hagans are the same way.

I don't think the German WS blades were ever as good as the ones made in England.

As far as DE blades go, the German blades are fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. But I only find their performance average, nothing special. Their prices are on the high side of average.

The ones made in India in the Saloon pack are very nice blades. I paid $6 for a hundred.

I don't think the German WS blades were ever as good as the ones made in England.

As far as DE blades go, the German blades are fine. Nothing wrong with them at all. But I only find their performance average, nothing special. Their prices are on the high side of average.

The ones made in India in the Saloon pack are very nice blades. I paid $6 for a hundred.

Tough to beat $6 per hundred for usable blades!! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

(Every time I see store prices for carts, I recognize that ’expensive’ DE blades are a bargain!)

Of the close to two dozen blades I’ve tried, The German made Wilki is one of only two blades that I truly dislike. I believe bum blades are possible, but not entire tucks.

It is unfortunate since it is the most readily available DE blade in Canadian bricks and mortars.

I did a side by side comparison of the German WS and a WS made in England. Two identical late 1940’s super speed razors, I went two weeks not knowing which blade was which and to my surprise the German blade was the winner just enough to notice. I know that WS English made different versions of their blades the one I used was named the blade also known as sword master xcn chromium. Both very good blades imo

Top Bottom