What's new

Shame on you

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Linda Kozlowski, she went to my high school, a couple classes ahead of me

I wish I'd have went to your high school. When I was in Jr. High there was this tall, slim Indian girl (Native American, indigenous, or whatever some PC people want to call it. My Indian wife doesn't give a crap) that I was infatuated with. Lisa was her first name, I won't put up her last. She grew up to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.

I saw her at the grocery store many years later and she had gotten a bit...well, plump and fluffy would be a nice way of putting it. She still recognized me and gave me a big hug.

My chain remains unjerked.

That can be taken many ways. :lol:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
My (mostly) apolitical thoughts...
1. Is anyone really surprised? Most big companies without "Koch" somewhere in the title lean left these days. Some harder than others.

2. Gillette ceased to be relevant to me the day I tossed my Fusion in the trash. I'm glad for their Russian-made DE blades, but that's about it. And if those went away, I could happily live off of Astras and Feathers. My fondness for my vintage Gillette razors does not extend to the going P&G concern, which I think went off the rails a long time ago.

3. In this day and age of political and ideological division, one of the few things most of us agree on is that Gillette sucks. Their business model is exploitative and their razors are mainly gimmicks now. In reaction, they've really been taking it in the shorts. From the beard craze. From the DSC, Harry's, Amazon, and other direct-to-customer outlets (even Costco has their own "Kirkland" razors now). And, yes, from the wetshaving renaissance. The brand itself is stodgy at best and a punchline in a meme at worst.

4. Given #3, Gillette had to do SOMETHING. Enter the marketing department. Why not an edgy ad to get people talking? Everyone knows that millennials and Gen-Z (or whatever we're calling them today) hate greedy corporations who are only out to make money, but love caring corporations with a "social conscience" that fight for a "cause". So make an ad demonstrating said cause. I suppose they believe they have more to gain by appealing to new, younger consumers than they'll lose by pissing off grumpy old men who already made the jump to DSC anyway. And oh by the way, I wouldn't overlook the fact that the ad may be largely aimed at women (which is a trick going way, way back in the Gillette advertising playbook), who are still the primary grocery and drugstore shoppers and exercise significant influence on decisions like whether she likes her man clean shaven and what brand of grooming products he uses.

Last edited:
I was raised to treat women with respect, be respectful of my elders, talk things out to have peaceful resolutions, treat persons of others races and cultures with respect, remain loyal to one partner, not degrade or bully anyone and to simply treat others the way I want to be treated. I learned this from my father, born in the 1930s.

The issue I have with the ad is not that we should not treat others with respect and act like good human beings, but I find an implication in the ad that men did not act this way before and as men, we need to step in and start doing these things. The ad also mentions that only some of us do act accordingly now. I think it would be insulting to me if it wasn’t a Gillette ad. Since it is from them, I just scratch my head. Have they ever really shown they cared about women? Don’t they charge more for women’s shaving products?

The ad does not anger or threaten me, I just find it odd. Also there are strange parts in the ad which appear to be comic relief in some way, like that grilling scene, just a really odd advertisement. If I saw it 5 years ago, I would have thought it would have been a video skit from Saturday Night Live.

Thank you.

So does anyone know? What the real definition of "toxic male" is? I mean, there was that time I shaved with Tabac and followed it up with the Veg but I don't think that's it.

Tabac and the Veg are just a different way of being toxic. :D

If serious, the video shows boys bullying another and men being lecherous creeps towards women.

Those are toxic behaviors. Long story very short, don't bully people and don't act towards women in a way that makes them want to run away from you. Read your audience. If people around you look uncomfortable when they see your behavior, you're being toxic. When dealing with women, if you don't know where the line is between being friendly and being a creep, then err on the side of caution, and interact less with her.

I have read any number of posts here and elsewhere from men complaining about the video. I haven't read a convincing argument why it should be considered offensive. Mind your behavior and the world becomes an easier place for everyone to live in.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Tabac and the Veg are just a different way of being toxic. :D

If serious, the video shows boys bullying another and men being lecherous creeps towards women.

Those are toxic behaviors. Long story very short, don't bully people and don't act towards women in a way that makes them want to run away from you. Read your audience. If people around you look uncomfortable when they see your behavior, you're being toxic. When dealing with women, if you don't know where the line is between being friendly and being a creep, then err on the side of caution, and interact less with her.

I have read any number of posts here and elsewhere from men complaining about the video. I haven't read a convincing argument why it should be considered offensive. Mind your behavior and the world becomes an easier place for everyone to live in.

Yep. What you just described is what I generally refer to as bad behavior. It's been around for as long as humanity, I wonder why it has been defined a by a different phrase recently. Curious.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It's overall just sad to me that we live in a time where men need to be taught how to be gentlemen by a Gillette ad.

Think on that for a minute.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I was a psych nurse, did calls wherever the clients were. Let's just say the majority had no males in their life, EVER, to show them how to shave, let alone properly behave around women.

I'm guessing the 60's Hai Karate commercials wouldn't fly well with the new PC crowd, either.

But it sure sold aftershave! lol

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Read your audience. If people around you look uncomfortable when they see your behavior, you're being toxic.

So does that mean Gillette are being toxic?

I feel uncomfortable when people start imposing on me, telling me how I should think, politically, socially, or any other way. Can I call them toxic too?

Societies are not all of one thinking, and I don't think they should be. Labelling anyone who conducts themselves in a way that makes us uncomfortable as toxic, would probably see everybody being labelled as toxic by someone else. The deep irony here is that this moral domineering is at risk of becoming just as reprehensible as the other forms of domineering they are calling out. I am in no way justifying what many of us would clearly see as reprehensible or predatory behaviour, but I am saying there are many in this world who've supposedly taken the moral high ground, who are exercising a new form of stereotyping, discrimination, bullying, and subjugation. It's the same pack mentality that drives sexism, racism, and all the other "we are superior to them" issues, but with alternate differences and new defined boundaries.

So does that mean Gillette are being toxic?

I feel uncomfortable when people start imposing on me, telling me how I should think, politically, socially, or any other way. Can I call them toxic too?

Societies are not all of one thinking, and I don't think they should be. Labelling anyone who conducts themselves in a way that makes us uncomfortable as toxic, would probably see everybody being labelled as toxic by someone else. The deep irony here is that this moral domineering is at risk of becoming just as reprehensible as the other forms of domineering they are calling out. I am in no way justifying what many of us would clearly see as reprehensible or predatory behaviour, but I am saying there are many in this world who've supposedly taken the moral high ground, who are exercising a new form of stereotyping, discrimination, bullying, and subjugation. It's the same pack mentality that drives sexism, racism, and all the other "we are superior to them" issues, but with alternate differences and new defined boundaries.

I'm going to have trouble feeling any sympathy for anyone who thinks that being told "don't be a jackass to people" is an imposition. This isn't that complicated. Either people act like those in the video, in which case they're the target of that video; or they don't, in which case there is no need for them to feel put upon because this isn't about them, so what's the point of getting all riled up other than to just be contrary? The interpretation of your comment is that if someone wants to be a jackass we should all just shut up and let him be a jackass, to which I might ask: Why, exactly, are we supposed to tolerate people being jackasses around us?

I think like many men my sensitivity to messages like this be it a Gillette ad or a sitcom is its disingenuous on so many levels.

Masculinity can be as healthy or as toxic as femininity but that's not what they are trying to convey. Instead the narrative is that by default men are misogynist, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing dullards who revel in bro culture and we can't decide if we want to rape every woman we come across or we need her superior intellect to save us from eating dirt.
I don’t think their talking to me personally. I believe I’m better than what type person they are showing. They are not saying all men are clods.Do some of us see ourselves in this commercial? Why are we so sensitive, if we don’t see ourselves acting in this way . The fact is many men are as shown. I just don’t see anything wrong in the message.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm going to have trouble feeling any sympathy for anyone who thinks that being told "don't be a jackass to people" is an imposition. This isn't that complicated. Either people act like those in the video, in which case they're the target of that video; or they don't, in which case there is no need for them to feel put upon because this isn't about them, so what's the point of getting all riled up other than to just be contrary? The interpretation of your comment is that if someone wants to be a jackass we should all just shut up and let him be a jackass, to which I might ask: Why, exactly, are we supposed to tolerate people being jackasses around us?

No, my point is that a lot of the people calling out the jackass, are being just as much of a jackass too, and are often being a bigger jackass by accusing people of being a jackass, who weren't being a jackass at all ... they just assumed they would be, just because they fit their stereotype of which people they find to be jackasses :D

It's like the old stereotypes based on differences of physical attributes are becoming taboo, but differences of personality, socio-political beliefs, and behaviour are open season. I'm seeing it vicariously in parenting, in teaching, in HR aspects of larger companies, and other walks of life other than the more prominent social and political aspects that Twitter gets all its traffic from. A hypocrisy of celebrating difference in some ways, and demanding uniformity (or lambasting lack of uniformity) in others, coupled with gross overcompensation and imbalance of judgement. The assumption of guilt of being a jackass is just as stereotypical as it ever was too. Sadly I've seen two cases of men (good friends of mine) being assumed to have been at fault for the violent abuse they received from their female partners, they were the ones the police removed from their own homes. Where was their #ThemToo support? I know of ONE divorce/separation where the father got child custody.

The balance of power may be shifting, but not necessarily towards the fairness and equality it should be. It's still highly imbalanced, and the people wagging their fingers aren't always justified to do so. There's still demographic based assumptions of fault.

We might not agree on these things, and I'm quite happy for us to have diverging opinions. I'm sure we'll discuss our viewpoints amicably. There are however many in the world who take the position that anyone not seeing the world the way they do, are bad people, and will take every opportunity to tell them so, even when they've done nothing wrong. Some of us feel like we are being good citizens, and don't appreciate lectures from those who consider they have a moral superiority over us.

The bottom line is that I've no problem with a company trying to sell me a razor, but don't try to tell me right from wrong when you're ripping people off based on their gender, price fixing with competitors, and knowingly using suppliers employing child labour. They've done far worse things than me in the world, yet feel entitled to preach moral values? No thanks!

Last edited:
I don’t think their talking to me personally. I believe I’m better than what type person they are showing. They are not saying all men are clods.Do some of us see ourselves in this commercial? Why are we so sensitive, if we don’t see ourselves acting in this way . The fact is many men are as shown. I just don’t see anything wrong in the message.
No they're not indicting all men, but Gillette has clearly struck a nerve and I think its worth asking why that nerve was raw to begin with. Not all the men who've objected to message and posted comments on youtube, news sites, here, etc. are guilty of the bad behavior shown in the video. I'd like to believe that the majority of those men are decent, respectful by nature but don't feel like being lectured to by a billion dollar company.

No they're not indicting all men, but Gillette has clearly struck a nerve and I think its worth asking why that nerve was raw to begin with. Not all the men who've objected to message and posted comments on youtube, news sites, here, etc. are guilty of the bad behavior shown in the video. I'd like to believe that the majority of those men are decent, respectful by nature but don't feel like being lectured to by a billion dollar company.
Spot on

I think most people object to the moralising and virtue signalling in the ad, it's been down voted to oblivion on youtube, and it appears they're now having to go into damage control by censoring the comment section and deleting down votes, etc.

classic example of Get Woke Go Broke :lol1:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

Avoid toxic women.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I think like many men my sensitivity to messages like this be it a Gillette ad or a sitcom is its disingenuous on so many levels.

Masculinity can be as healthy or as toxic as femininity but that's not what they are trying to convey. Instead the narrative is that by default men are misogynist, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing dullards who revel in bro culture and we can't decide if we want to rape every woman we come across or we need her superior intellect to save us from eating dirt.

Well said.

I have (or rather, HAD) a Mach 3 for my "lazy days" but after seeing this commercial I tossed it in the trash. I was out of overpriced crappy blades for it so no big loss.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Proud member of the Fraternal Order of Knuckle Draggers.

Membership applications are currently being taken at ProtrudingBrow.org.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom