What's new

SCS Breast Cancer Awareness Contest

To disprove the theory that breast cancer was caused by an imbalance of the four body humors, namely an excess of bile, French physicians Jean Astruc (1684-1766) cooked a slice of breast cancer tissue and a slice of beef and then chewed both. He said that because they tasted exactly the same, breast cancer tumor does not contain bile or acid.

Some physicians throughout history have proposed that breast cancer was caused by several factors, including lack of sex—which caused reproductive organs, such as the breast, to atrophy and rot. Other physicians suggested that “vigorous sex” blocked the lymphatic system, that depression restricted blood vessels and trapped coagulated blood, and that a sedentary lifestyle slowed bodily fluids.

Researchers speculate that left-handed women are more prone to developing breast cancer because they are exposed to higher levels of certain steroid hormones in the womb.

A JAMA study reports that women who had taken between one and 25 antibiotic prescriptions over an average of 17 years had an increased risk for breast cancer. The results do not mean women should stop taking antibiotics but that these medicines should be used wisely.

Women with high breast density were found to have a four- to six-fold increased risk of breast cancer compared with women with lower breast density.

Although not fully understood, research suggests that pre-eclampsia is associated with a decrease in breast cancer risk in the offspring and the mother.

In 1882, the father of American surgery, William Steward Halstead (1852-1922), introduced the first radical mastectomy (the breast tissue underlying chest muscle and the lymph nodes are removed). Until the mid 1970s, 90% of women with breast cancer were treated with this procedure.

Mammography was initially used in 1969 when the first specialized X-ray units for breast imagining were developed.

In 1810, the daughter of John and Abigail Adams, Abigail “Nabby” Adams Smith (1765-1813) was diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent a grueling mastectomy—without anesthesia. Unfortunately, she still eventually died from the disease three years later.

Tumors are more likely to be malignant when they are firm and have irregular shapes, while benign tumors are more likely to feel round or soft. However, it is important to see a doctor when any lump is found in the breast.

Since my Mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer I have had three other friends survive it. One is my half sisters mother, a very dear friend of my mothers and a great friend of mine. Ages are wide spread though. Two of them were your typical carcinoma, the other I thought I would mention because it did not have your normal signs. My friend had a dry spot on her nipple, similar to the after effect of a sunburn. She did not think much of it. After a few months she thought well something is not right. I had better get this looked at, she went to her obgyn and was immediately sent to an oncologist. Turns out she has Paget disease of the nipple, a rare form of breast cancer. She is 39 years old and has underwent a double mastectomy. Had she continued to overlook this, as many would, it may have been her death sentence. She did not have any noticeable lumps or irregularities, just a dry skin spot. Even after all of the reading that my mother and I went through daily, I never ran across this form of breast cancer. This is definitely one to share.

Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) is the presence of abnormal cells inside a milk duct in the breast. DCIS is considered the earliest form of breast cancer. DCIS is noninvasive, meaning it hasn't spread out of the milk duct to invade other parts of the breast.

This condition can also mask small more invasive types of tumors, as it did in my wife's case. She is now a 12-year survivor.

Last edited:
I don't know if this a fact or not but my cousin (who's 42 or 43) was diagnosed with breast cancer recently and it came as a shock to me because I thought only women late in their middle age to old age could develop it.

Winners will be announced later today or tomorrow. Stay tuned. I am waiting on my little people to draw numbers.

Here are the winning numbers of the contest. #2 #37 and #50. I have sent a pm to each winner.

Thank you to everyone for your participation. It was two years ago today that I lost my Mom, it means a lot to me that all of you took the time to help spread awareness.

Wendy

I received my package today. Wendy sent me the sandalwood edt and sandalwood soap. I'm very excited to try these both out. She also sent me a sample of oakmoss lavendula soap. thank you so much for giving us the chance to sample your products. I'm honored to have helped spread the word of breast cancer awareness in honor of your mother, Saint Sue! Thanks again Wendy!
proxy.php

I received my package today. Wendy sent me the sandalwood edt and sandalwood soap. I'm very excited to try these both out. She also sent me a sample of oakmoss lavendula soap. thank you so much for giving us the chance to sample your products. I'm honored to have helped spread the word of breast cancer awareness in honor of your mother, Saint Sue! Thanks again Wendy!
proxy.php

Thanks for participating. Enjoy!

Top Bottom