What's new

SCS Breast Cancer Awareness Contest

Men can develop breast cancer also.
My stepfather was a 5 year survivor after a radical mastectomy and chemo.

Wendy,

Great contest and fantastic initiative. My sincere respect to you for performing this wonderful service! I'll add as much unique information as possible to this thread to disseminate knowledge about this deadly disease. Thanks again.

Most advanced breast cancer cases are found in women over age 50. Women are 100 times more likely to get breast cancer than men.

If you received radiation therapy as a child or young adult to treat cancer of the chest area, you have a much higher risk for developing breast cancer. The younger you started such radiation and the higher the dose, the higher your risk -- especially if the radiation was given during breast development.

The first sign of breast cancer usually shows up on a woman's mammogram before it can be felt or any other symptoms are present.

Oral contraceptives may cause a slight increase in breast cancer risk; however 10 years after discontinuing use of oral contraceptives the risk is the same as for women who never used the pill.

Some women can have what is called HER2-positive breast cancer. HER2 refers to a gene that helps cells grow, divide, and repair themselves. When cells (including cancer cells) have too many copies of this gene, they grow faster. Historically, women with HER2-positive breast cancer have a more aggressive disease and a higher risk that the disease will return (recur) than women who do not have this type. However, this may be changing with specifically targeted treatments against HER2.

Women who took diethylstilbestrol (DES) to prevent miscarriage may have an increased risk of breast cancer after age 40. This drug was given to the women in the 1940s - 1960s.

Not a fact but my one of my wife's best friends was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was a lively, and was a very talented artist before and breast cancer has turned her world upside down. Now she's quit her job, unable to continue painting and is back living with her parents for support. She's not married and unfortunately in India, cancers such as this would only ensure that she can never get into any meaningful relationships.

Breast cancer, though it gets arguably the most publicity is still very deadly.

My future mother in law (11 days) just was very lucky to have elected for a double mastectomy just a month ago (Cancer on one side, precancer on the other). From the time of the Mammogram, to MRI, to biopsy to surgery her "pre cancerous tumor" had already developed into cancer, a very aggressive type that likely would have done serious harm to our family if she hadn't elected for the double mastectomy instead of single or lumpectomies.

Breast cancer is the second most common cause of death from cancer among white, black, Asian/Pacific Islander, and American Indian/Alaska Native women

Top Bottom