What's new

SCS Breast Cancer Awareness Contest

This is a repeat of last year but I was thrilled with all of the participation I thought I should do it again. I was so naive about breast cancer until my Mother was diagnosed, I always thought "it's just breast cancer, how bad can it be?" After living that nightmare and watching someone I loved so dearly suffer, I had to open my eyes to how horrible this disease really is. I feel we can all make a difference.

To enter the contest, all you have to do is make a post that contains one fact about breast cancer, you may enter as many times as you like. The only rule is no duplicates, make sure your fact does not match any of the previous posts. This is just another way to spread knowledge. I hope everyone learns something they did not already know. This could be what saves the life of someone you love.

The contest will run through the end of October. There will be three winners, the numbers will go in a hat, my children will draw the numbers.

Here are the prizes:

1. Bulgarian Rose Otto (rosa damascena) Aftershave Splash with lemon along with a Bulgarian Rose edt, these are made with pure essential oil only
2. Womens Spa butter with bath pouf in a pink organza bag & a bottle of Floral perfume
3. Limited Sandalwood edt and a Sandalwood shave soap

****If the winner is outside of the US, the prize would be substituted for something with a comparable value that does not contain alcohol.*****

Thank you for your participation.

Wendy

Last edited:
FACT: Mammograms are not always enough.

Sad fact: My sister in law has been scheduled to have one of her breasts removed in the next 2 weeks-my wife is a wreck.

While clinical assessment clues (such as findings on breast exam
or breast imaging results) may be strongly suggestive of a cancer
diagnosis, microscopic analysis of breast tissue is necessary for
a definitive diagnosis of breast cancer and to determine whether
the cancer is in situ or invasive and lobular or ductal. The microscopic analysis can be obtained via a needle biopsy or a surgical
biopsy. Selection of the type of biopsy is based on individual factors
and availability.

Excluding cancers of the skin, breast cancer is the most common cancer among women, accounting for nearly 1 in 3 cancers diagnosed in US women.

If all women lived to age 95, about one in eight would be diagnosed with breast cancer at some point during their lives. My mother was a two-time survivor, and my grandmother as well.

It is important for a women to have familiarity with her breasts, as any changes or abnormalities may warrant further examination.

2/3 of breast lumps are benign. These can be cysts, or more commonly, fibrotic changes associated with normal hormonal menstrual cycles. If pre-menopausal, it is best to repeat the exam at a different time in the ovulatory cycle. If post-menopausal, a physician can perform a FNA (fine needle aspiration) to determine if its a cyst, or perform an ultrasound to see if it is fluid filled (cyst) or a solid tumor (tumor in medical terminology simply means new growth, not necessarily malignant). If it is not a cyst, a mammogram should be performed, but as mentioned, these are not always diagnostic.

Rexent findings suggest that brest cancers fall into four distinct categories, with different treatment indicated as effective for each kind of cancer. In fact, some cancers will not even respond to some treatments that are quite effective on other types.

Self (and/or significant other assisted) breast exams are suprisingly easy, and quite effective at assisting your care provider in early detection of lumps in breast tissue, whether benign or cancerous.

Seventy percent of all breast cancers develop in the upper part of the breast closest to the arm (which contains the most breast tissue) or under the nipple/areola region.

Risks for breast cancer include a family history, atypical hyperplasia, delaying pregnancy until after age 30 or never becoming pregnant, early menstruation (before age 12), late menopause (after age 55), current use or use in the last ten years of oral contraceptives, and daily consumption of alcohol.

Last edited:
Over 96 percent of women who find and treat breast cancer early will be cancer-free after five years.

FACT: Mammograms are not always enough.

Sad fact: My sister in law has been scheduled to have one of her breasts removed in the next 2 weeks-my wife is a wreck.

Prayers to your family and to your sister in law for a speedy recovery. Is she going to have chemotherapy, or has she already?

Today about 1 in every 8 women will develop breast cancer in their lifetime, that's 12% of women. Breast cancer is also the second-leading cause of cancer related death in women

Genetic mutations BRCA1 and BRCA2 raise your risk of breast cancer. I had a very dear aunt who passed away due to a genetic mutation.

Every 2 minutes, there is a new breast cancer diagnosis. Every 14 minutes, a life is lost to the disease.

Those numbers are staggering!

My sister lost her battle with breast cancer in 2005. My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer (Stage III) in 2010. It's a roller coaster ride from Hell. . .physically and psychologically for the cancer victim, as well as the family. While cancer prevention is the best course of action, it isn't always possible. Failing prevention, early detection through the many screening methods is the next, best defense. . .before the cancer starts to cause symptoms. Believe me, from first hand experience, this is a roller coaster ride you and your loved ones DO NOT want to take.

Top Bottom