What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 11/2–11/8 The Gillette Super-Speed

The Gillette Super-Speed”

proxy.php

This week I would like to take a look at and discuss the Gillette Super-Speed.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Super-Speed One Piece hit the shaving scene in 1947. Like previous one- piece razors, this model at first had no "notched" positioning bar to hold the blade as it was pulled from the new dispenser. In early 1948, an Improved Super-Speed with a notched bar was brought out to aid in loading the razor by the new "improved" dispenser. Safety was stressed as the reason for these improvements; there was no longer need to touch the blade to load the razor.

proxy.php

These early Super-Speed models were put up in a cardboard case with a plastic "10" Blue Blade dispenser, all for only $1.00 These Super-Speeds were nickel-plated. The Super-Speed weighed in at 1.9 oz with a blade gap of .62mm

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

For 1949, the Super-Speed was put up for the first time in a Styrene "display" case. The bottom of the case was a solid color plastic, while the flip-top was clear. Gillette did not start date codes in these models until 1951 (W); models earlier than 1951 will not be date stamped.

The price was still $1.00. In an effort to further reduce production costs, Gillette, in 1951 manufactured many Super-Speeds with aluminum handles and black plastic TTO knobs. In 1952, these plastic TTO razor types featured a metal reinforcing washer placed at the "wear point" where the TTO met the metal handle.

proxy.php

Starting in 1954 Gillette presented the concept of controlled razor adjustments in its Super-Speed line. The Light Exposure Super-Speed: This razor featured a blue-colored, tapered TTO knob and was packed in a Styrene case that had a transparent lid and a light blue base. The Light Exposure Super-Speed weighed in at 42g with a blade gap of .58mm

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Regular Super-Speed: This razor featured an uncolored, tapered TTO knob and was packed in a Styrene case that had a transparent lid and a tan-colored base. The Regular Super-Speed weighed in at 58g with a blade gap of .58mm

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Heavy Super-Speed: This heavy was a larger razor that featured a maroon-colored, tapered TTO knob. The Styrene case had a transparent lid and maroon-colored base. The Heavy Super-Speed weighed in at 65g with a blade gap of .66mm

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

This three-razor concept acknowledged the perceived need for different blade exposures, and these razors are often termed "pre-adjustables". They did, in fact, survive as a product line until the Adjustable Gillette was introduced in 1958; after that introduction, the Light and Heavy Super-Speeds were dropped.

The Regular Super-Speed lived on until the mid-1970's, but starting in 1969 the handles were colored black. The black handle Super-Speed weighed in at 46g with a blade gap of .64mm

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

In 1958, a regular exposure Super-Speed was put up in a special red bottom Styrene case. This razor, the TV Super-Speed, featured a variant type of handle knurling and was a special edition offered at a time when Gillette was deeply involved in the televised Friday Night Fights and The Gillette Cavalcade of Sports. An earlier version of the “TV” Super-Speed razor set was put up in a blue-bottom styrene case with a 1954 Z3 date code. This earlier, blue bottom set is rare compared to the red version.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

The British version of the TV Super-Speed was Rhodium plated.

proxy.php

Still another interesting version of the Super-Speed was the Milady, which was shortened for the ladies of the time.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Still more versions of the Super-Speed were produced outside of the USA, some of which are known as “The Rocket” and “The Parat”.
Here are a few more fine examples of the Gillette Super-Speed razor.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Here is my SOTD for today 11/2/2008

proxy.php

Information and pictures have been collected from various sources including the net, (mr razors page), Thank you Achim. The Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook, By Phillip L. Krumholz, The B&B Wiki and my personal thoughts and opinions (which may not be a reflection of the management).

Here are a couple links of interest:

Mr. Razors page of TTO’s HERE

The B&B Super-Speed Wiki page HERE

The B&B Reviews HERE

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Very nice review Ray, thank you! Now if I could just find a mint condition regular super speed to purchase. :001_smile

Thanks for all the great information on the Super Speed. I'll be bookmarking this page for future reference.

my first razor was my grandfathers 1948 superspeed. it was the only razor i used for my first 6 years of wet shaving. then i found gems and it was all over :lol:

Great reference for superspeeds. Makes me want to get one again. I like the fact that you included the blade gap with each model, saves me from going back and forth to the charts.

May have to go ahead and get that black handle one.

Nice job, Ray.

I saw one of the Superspeeds in the tan bottom/clear top the other day and thought "Oh, that must be the case for the mysterious "tan tip" Superspeed!" :biggrin:

I had no idea that it was for the "average" Superspeed. Great info. Thanks.

Ray, I've been waiting for this to be the "Razor Of The Week". I've always viewed the Super-Speed as the quintessential Gillette razor. My opinion is probably highly colored by what was popular at the time I started shaving. :001_smile

I started off shaving with an old razor of my Dad's, but my first new razor was a 1955 blue tip Super-Speed which I still have. I guess I would have to consider it to be the first razor in my collection.

Before my rather recent conversion to old single edge razors, my go-to razor was a red tip Super-Speed. I believe I still have to consider that to be my favorite double edge razor of all that I've tried, and that is quite a few. :001_rolle

Thanks again, Ray, for your comprehensive reports and fine pictures of these weekly "Highlights".

Regards,
Tom

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Very informative as well as entertaining with those great pics. Your featured segment continues to get better and better. Thanks for your dedication Ray. :thumbup1:

Great review! Thank You! I think Gillette Super Speeds are the best shaving tool ever devised. I've got 2, a 1952 and a no date. I use them daily, all I need!

Thank you gentlemen, it's a pleasure putting these together and it gives me a chance to learn or confirm more about these pieces.

What a great review, and indeed a great series: Thank you.

I am very surprised to learn that about the blade exposures: I looks like the black handle has more exposure than the red tip. To the extent that this correlates to aggressiveness, the newest black handle is more agggressive than the red tip followed by the 1947 - 48 original.

I now have to try my black handle to see how I fare with it.

Top Bottom