What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
It is eerily quiet around the Northstonehill headquarters these days as I experience a sudden remission in my RAD. So while I consider what will be my next white whale I jumped at @tonich’s fine offer for a great condition thin handle British tech. It will replace the lesser condition specimen which constitutes my travel shave set. The thin handle makes for a perfect balance in this modest little gem [emoji106]1:

View attachment 1001567
Class, pure class.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That looks to be the non floating head Barbasol but it is hard to tell for sure without being able to see guard completely. They both look similar except floating heads have a channel in the guard while the non floatings heads are curved.

Here is a picture showing the difference.
The floating head is the one on the right.
View attachment 1001529

I got a few more pictures does this look like what you are talking about?
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a few more pictures does this look like what you are talking about?
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a floater. You can see the side of the guard easily enough to tell the difference. Nice score. The actual razor was never made by Barbasol but by a company called Conrad, whether they made them under license or as an OEM for Barbasol I have no clue. Either way it would be considered an official Barbasol item from a collectors standpoint.

Mail called, it’s about time after a long wait.

Got B, C & D with 3.5” handle, I realised the brass version is heavier than the Stainless Steel and the balance feels FANTASTIC!!!

proxy.php

Whoops. Most significant addition so far is en route to the Northstonehill headquarters :)

A 1930s Darwin ‘Original’, one of the earliest Darwin DE’s and quite rare. Only 5 owners of this model have been accounted for so far across various shave websites.

The Original is caracterized by having a flat baseplate whereas later Deluxes and Standards have a curved baseplate. It is a 3-piece razor, weighing in at approx. 66 grams and made in cobalt steel(!)

This specimen even comes in great shape and in a unique leather case with double doors (seller pics).

C6E81EE7-21EF-4333-860E-F8EF56F85BD4.jpeg
8FB11226-E69F-4FA0-9D89-51E26479854D.jpeg
F479CB9E-ABB1-4D39-B0AA-090DCDE8EC57.jpeg

That is a floater. You can see the side of the guard easily enough to tell the difference. Nice score. The actual razor was never made by Barbasol but by a company called Conrad, whether they made them under license or as an OEM for Barbasol I have no clue. Either way it would be considered an official Barbasol item from a collectors standpoint.

Yeah the cleaning should be fun.....bust out some scrubbing bubbles and the US cleaner. Although i have been thinking about maybe having it replated also.....we will see how it shaves first.

Whoops. Most significant addition so far is en route to the Northstonehill headquarters :)

A 1930s Darwin ‘Original’, one of the earliest Darwin DE’s and quite rare. Only 5 owners of this model have been accounted for so far across various shave websites.

The Original is caracterized by having a flat baseplate whereas later Deluxes and Standards have a curved baseplate. It is a 3-piece razor, weighing in at approx. 66 grams and made in cobalt steel(!)

This specimen even comes in great shape and in a unique leather case with double doors (seller pics).

View attachment 1002301 View attachment 1002302 View attachment 1002303

Just an amazing score Peter. Huge Congrats! Now about those Darwins you no longer have need for... :thumbup:

Although I only collect Gillette's I must admit that is one nice looking razor. Congrats on your rare score Peter.

Yeah the cleaning should be fun.....bust out some scrubbing bubbles and the US cleaner. Although i have been thinking about maybe having it replated also.....we will see how it shaves first.

They are chrome plated. You can polish the metal using stainless steel sink cleaner if you don't have anything else to use. They have a reputation for being aggressive which I personally think is not true having owned a couple of them and using them also. Good razor probably more efficient than aggressive. It is one of the few DE razors that I haven't gotten rid of so far as I downsize.

They are chrome plated. You can polish the metal using stainless steel sink cleaner if you don't have anything else to use. They have a reputation for being aggressive which I personally think is not true having owned a couple of them and using them also. Good razor probably more efficient than aggressive. It is one of the few DE razors that I haven't gotten rid of so far as I downsize.

yeah im going to go through and purge most of my stuff soon as well.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz

Well now I see the reason for your sale! Great addition, my friend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow. Just Wow! That razor couldn't be headed to a better den!

Just an amazing score Peter. Huge Congrats! Now about those Darwins you no longer have need for... :thumbup:

Remarkable score Peter. Congrats!

Although I only collect Gillette's I must admit that is one nice looking razor. Congrats on your rare score Peter.

That's quite the hardware, Peter!
Congrats!

Well now I see the reason for your sale! Great addition, my friend!

Wow. Just Wow! That razor couldn't be headed to a better den!

Thomas, Tom, Rob, Andon, Adam, Andy: Thanks warmly for your kind words! - Yes this is a fascinating beast and one I never expected to neither own nor try shaving with. Can’t wait to load it with a Personna and take it for a spin :)

Top Bottom