What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

@Northstonehill Peter, great get from a fellow member, that had to be tough for them to give up!

You mentioned our friend Chris at razorplate....and oddly enough, my E3 fatboy was returned from his shop today. I just can't imagine sending a razor to anyone else (obviously Cap is included in there :) )

So, some before and after pictures, because its the only way to see how much effort, and the outcome (and the shear quality of it):

BEFORE (note the extreme brass rot that was uncovered after I cleaned it up, pitting was not pretty...and the tray was actually sharp from the brass rot):
View attachment 984998 View attachment 984999 View attachment 985000

AFTER (note, you can't even tell there was that severe of brass rot/pitting. I'm left speechless by Chris' work)
View attachment 985001 View attachment 985002 View attachment 985005 View attachment 985003 View attachment 985004

Will be shaving with it today, and it only has to be half as good as it looks, and I'll be happy with the shave. Standards and all.... :)

also of note, no loss to the definition and feel of the knurling, etc on the handle, tto knob, or adjustment knob.

Wow, Mike, just plain awesome!! - Yes, that is Chris’ and Cap’s work, among many things the fact that they make sure to maintain the knurling. Your specimen is out of this world!!! Enjoy your fine Fatboy!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Gentlemen, sometimes it actually pays off to reach for the stars! - Recently I put up a note on the BST to acquire a #19 Brit Aristocrat set. A serious long shot for sure as these 1st generation open combs in gold are very rare beasts to come up for sale. But look what happened! - A generous B&B member reached out so here it is - delivered today from the US! Thank you so much, you-know-who!

Razor is in perfect condition, may have been replated at some point in its long life but then it is a superb job as I cannot find a single fault on it even when I scan places where a replate usually will show (such as between the teeth). Wow, just like it rolled off the assembly line at Gillette in the UK sometime during the 1930s. I am stoked!

The case on the other hand has taken a few beatings during the last 80 years, I really need to apply some TLC for sure. And it may even be a #20 case... On top, the blade banks have gone AWOL, but thankfully I have two period correct ones which will now go to Chris Evatt for replating in gold.

And all in all, who’s counting, one can’t be too picky when it comes to the rarest of the rare. I am so happy to add this to my growing family of Anglo Aristocrats :)

View attachment 984965 View attachment 984966 View attachment 984967
Absolutely stunning, congratulations all round. That is why I love this forum. The members here are just fantastic.

Thanks guys!!! I do love them and needed a matching aristocrat for the mismatch box I got. It was sold as a 1946-47 but with code W-1 it makes is a 1951 correct? Or am I wrong ?

@Psusocr That it does. Also, WE ARE.....
proxy.php

edit: I would add it doesn't need replating, unless you want to, of course. The nickel under the gold will keep it looking good from any issues with the brass. That looks about the same condition as my aristocrat, and I use it as is, no plans to replate it.

Thanks guys!!! I do love them and needed a matching aristocrat for the mismatch box I got. It was sold as a 1946-47 but with code W-1 it makes is a 1951 correct? Or am I wrong ?

My cased SuperSpeed, coded W-1, is a 1951. I'm assuming Aristocrat wouldn't have a different code.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Gentlemen, sometimes it actually pays off to reach for the stars! - Recently I put up a note on the BST to acquire a #19 Brit Aristocrat set. A serious long shot for sure as these 1st generation open combs in gold are very rare beasts to come up for sale. But look what happened! - A generous B&B member reached out so here it is - delivered today from the US! Thank you so much, you-know-who!

Razor is in perfect condition, may have been replated at some point in its long life but then it is a superb job as I cannot find a single fault on it even when I scan places where a replate usually will show (such as between the teeth). Wow, just like it rolled off the assembly line at Gillette in the UK sometime during the 1930s. I am stoked!

The case on the other hand has taken a few beatings during the last 80 years, I really need to apply some TLC for sure. And it may even be a #20 case... On top, the blade banks have gone AWOL, but thankfully I have two period correct ones which will now go to Chris Evatt for replating in gold.

And all in all, who’s counting, one can’t be too picky when it comes to the rarest of the rare. I am so happy to add this to my growing family of Anglo Aristocrats :)

View attachment 984965 View attachment 984966 View attachment 984967
DANGGGGGGGGGGG!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've recently got into DE shaving after SE shaving for a few years and have picked up a few DEs over the last month, got a rocket HD, a Tech, a new cheapo Chinese made one (which was surprisingly good) and an Old Type. I liked them all but the Old Type was the one that really hit the spot, I think maybe because it was closer to my 1912 than the others, a bit more aggressive. It's a thicker top cap style and I wanted to try the thinner version, so I picked this up for 15euros:

full

Possibly a bit expensive for a retail set that's missing the mirror (though it does have one of the thumb tacks haha) but I wanted to give myself a good chance of getting the thinner top cap razor. Which I did and it's a beauty:

full

Almost pristine condition, patent number on the handle and not a single crack:

full

F serial number, so I think that makes 1918:

full

I'm just really really pleased with it.

full

Can't wait to give it a go.

I've recently got into DE shaving after SE shaving for a few years and have picked up a few DEs over the last month, got a rocket HD, a Tech, a new cheapo Chinese made one (which was surprisingly good) and an Old Type. I liked them all but the Old Type was the one that really hit the spot, I think maybe because it was closer to my 1912 than the others, a bit more aggressive. It's a thicker top cap style and I wanted to try the thinner version, so I picked this up for 15euros:

full

Possibly a bit expensive for a retail set that's missing the mirror (though it does have one of the thumb tacks haha) but I wanted to give myself a good chance of getting the thinner top cap razor. Which I did and it's a beauty:

full

Almost pristine condition, patent number on the handle and not a single crack:

full

F serial number, so I think that makes 1918:

full

I'm just really really pleased with it.

full

Can't wait to give it a go.
Very nice Khaki set! Enjoy!

Top Bottom