What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

R

romsitsa

Mail call!

proxy.php

Ok, what’s up with the case? It looks to be a No 21, but that had a blue tray. The brown tray came with gold trim.

Thanks

Adam

I have to say that is striking! I'm happy for you, yet jealous

Yeah, buddy!!!!

Thank you!

Ok, what’s up with the case? It looks to be a No 21, but that had a blue tray. The brown tray came with gold trim.

Thanks

Adam

I have no idea. It came from a seller in Spain. Not sure how these were packaged elsewhere in the world.

Edit: I believe that this is a 1948 - 1952 Aristocrat. It has a notched bar, no writing inside.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my White Bohin to come in, thinking that has to be THE most unique case EVER, when along comes another Bohin that blows my mind! This comes courtesy of a B&B friend who knows how much I LOVE Bohins!!! I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thank you!

I have no idea. It came from a seller in Spain. Not sure how these were packaged elsewhere in the world.

Edit: I believe that this is a 1948 - 1952 Aristocrat. It has a notched bar, no writing inside.

proxy.php

3rd generation British aristocrat.
The period is correct or very close at least

I'm still waiting for my White Bohin to come in, thinking that has to be THE most unique case EVER, when along comes another Bohin that blows my mind! This comes courtesy of a B&B friend who knows how much I LOVE Bohins!!! I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Oh, wow!
Bohin man, you are! :ouch1:

After several months of almost patient searching I've acquired a Gillette ABC scroll and it came with a bonus pocket edition razor. I'm not sure what you call tbe second handle.
I'm considering realigning the case of the ABC scroll what do you guys think?

20190523_101235.jpg
20190523_101309.jpg
20190523_101340.jpg

proxy.php

proxy.php

:a14: WOW, both this and your white case are truly unique! - I really like my Bohin, it is a fine adjustable shaver!

R

romsitsa

After several months of almost patient searching I've acquired a Gillette ABC scroll and it came with a bonus pocket edition razor. I'm not sure what you call tbe second handle.
I'm considering realigning the case of the ABC scroll what do you guys think?

View attachment 983312 View attachment 983313 View attachment 983314

Hello,

the "plain" pocket edition case is a very late cardboard lined one, it should go with a thick cap ball end. The handle is from a ball end tech. The other case is most likely made by Gillette after ABC production ceased, so it should most likely contain a thin cap ball end Old type.

Adam

BE718B6B-D71E-417D-8BEB-51AC7AF2389F.jpeg

Returning home today from a business trip I took delivery of 2 very nice and unusual vintage Gillettes:

First up, an aluminum 4th generation British Aristocrat in great shape and with a very unusual (never seen before I think) narrow-width TTO knob. This knob is the same width as the handle, exactly like a Rocket Parat vs an ordinary Rocket. Other than that oddity, the feel in hand is just like a Paperclip Rocket - which in turn means that it will not make it into my rotation, it is simply too light weight for my shaving tastes. It has ‘Patent Pending’ inside the baseplate and I think it is nickel plated, not rhodium like the usual British Aristocrats.

I never even saw an aluminum version British Aristocrat before, and to find this strange & unique beast is a true joy. It came to me from the family of a British guy who worked almost his entire life as a plating manager at the Gillette works in Isleworth, Brentford in the UK, so I think it entirely possible that this is a one-off built for him. Either that or a plain knob somehow got mixed in mid-production with the Aristocrat knobs, before the barberpole knurling was added (as earlier suggested by Adam in here).

Next up a 1970s Danish Tekno brand VW bus toy car with Danish Gillette decals. This model roamed the streets of Danish cities in the 1960s and early 1970s and made its way into toy format during the same time period. I had this particular one refurbished by an 83 year old gentleman who, it turned out, was a former automechanic who has built in his basement a fully fledged vintage toy car refurbishment factory. It took him 3 months(!) to build to make it 100% original built to factory specs.

CD509D6C-6A8B-4566-A78E-4B1475A072A9.jpeg
8547FF60-7B03-435A-8DEA-42447EB9D780.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello,

the "plain" pocket edition case is a very late cardboard lined one, it should go with a thick cap ball end. The handle is from a ball end tech. The other case is most likely made by Gillette after ABC production ceased, so it should most likely contain a thin cap ball end Old type.

Adam

Thank you. So neither razor is correct for the case?

proxy.php

proxy.php
Congratulations. You’ll have to organise a group shot for us to drool over

R

romsitsa

Thank you. So neither razor is correct for the case?

Likely, but not sure at all. The "plain" case has a missaligned comb (one corner tooth is thick, the other thin), this, if it's a thick cap, is most likely matching, the blade case could also match, so only a no patent ball end handle is missing.

The other case should most likely contain a silver plated, serial numbered head with a patented ball end handle. There is a slight chance that some ABC handles landed in such late Gillette cases, as there are a few examples, but it's hard to say wether these are factory or user missmatches. Some close ups from the heads could have further clues.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
R

romsitsa

Returning home today from a business trip I took delivery of 2 very nice and unusual vintage Gillettes:

First up, an aluminum 4th generation British Aristocrat in great shape and with a very unusual (never seen before I think) narrow-width TTO knob. This knob is the same width as the handle, exactly like a Rocket Parat vs an ordinary Rocket. Other than that oddity, the feel in hand is just like a Paperclip Rocket - which in turn means that it will not make it into my rotation, it is simply too light weight for my shaving tastes. It has ‘Patent Pending’ inside the baseplate and I think it is nickel plated, not rhodium like the usual British Aristocrats.

I never even saw an aluminum version British Aristocrat before, and to find this strange & unique beast is a true joy. It came to me from the family of a British guy who worked almost his entire life as a plating manager at the Gillette works in Isleworth, Brentford in the UK, so I think it entirely possible that this is a one-off built for him. Either that or a plain knob somehow got mixed in mid-production with the Aristocrat knobs, before the barberpole knurling was added (as earlier suggested by Adam in here).

Next up a 1970s Danish Tekno brand VW bus toy car with Danish Gillette decals. This model roamed the streets of Danish cities in the 1960s and early 1970s and made its way into toy format during the same time period. I had this particular one refurbished by an 83 year old gentleman who, it turned out, was a former automechanic who has built in his basement a fully fledged vintage toy car refurbishment factory. It took him 3 months(!) to build to make it 100% original built to factory specs.

Lovely, do you hav any before pictures of the van? Does it have any interior?

Adam

Lovely, do you hav any before pictures of the van? Does it have any interior?

Adam

Thanks Adam, no interior, this particular model is very basic. It was made by the very small Danish Tekno toy car brand which only existed for about 25 years before they went out of business. I have a hunch that they actually made the real life brands sponsor the models as there probably was more than 50 different brands and color combos put onto these VW vans. But ‘technically’ a very basic model built out less than 10 major components.

Others of their models were much more detailed and came with turning front wheels that you could steer the car with, well designed interiours with seats that moved, steel gear sticks and added details such as reserve gas tanks in the trunk etc. Original great condition models go for 1,000+ USD today, I guess a reflection of the fact that the boys who played with them 40-50 years ago now have reached middle age and have money :001_rolle

Sadly, I have no before pics as this one was made to order. Here are a few others (slightly older) including another Gillette one (with Swedish decals):
4D8F2DB0-FF62-4964-B590-7EAD692FCAD6.jpeg

View attachment 983339

View attachment 983341 View attachment 983340

My dad had a saying that I will never forget... "The only difference between men and boys, is the price of their toys!" You are acquiring quite a collection of toys, Peter!

Top Bottom