What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Okay,as I told yself I was going to go to antique sops and yard sales to find vintage razors.

Well, I found this Gem Micromatic in pretty good shape. Needs to be cleaned. I don't know much about the Gem razor, so I'm not sure if what I have is good or bad. Twist the bottom handle knob to open the door.

View attachment 799099 View attachment 799100 View attachment 799101 View attachment 799102 View attachment 799103 View attachment 799104 View attachment 799105

Clog-Pruf, milder than an MMOC, good shaver!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
How about the brush, re-knot, or clean and use? I've been eyeing those same brushes on the bay, the handle looks nice and comfortable! [emoji106]

I think I'll be able to condition it. The handle is very comfortable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hit an estate sale today. They should clean up alright.View attachment 799038

Great find! I love finding stuff at estate sales/garage sales/flea markets. It just so happens that I have one just like that, but yours looks much better than mine.

2017-06-24 18.48.15.jpg

I finally got lucky and found a few things! None of the thrift shops in my area have had anything worth buying but I went for a day trip today to some antique malls a couple of hours away and saw tons of vintage razors for sale. If I had the money I could have spent several times more than I did but I ended up buying these:

20170624_200649.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what the Gillette in the box is yet, I'm just starting to research it online. It is marked "Made In Canada". It came with lots of blades and looks like it will clean up nicely.

20170624_201048.jpg

20170624_200926.jpg

The other safety razor appears to be a Flare Tip Rocket made in England and is in really good condition. The straight razor is a Crown and Sword and I believe is a 6/8, also in decent condition but in need of a honing.

It was a lot of fun hunting these things down and I'm already planning my next outing!

Great finds! The one in the case is a Fat Handle Tech but I don't believe that's the right case.

My wife and I are going on a road trip tomorrow.

Here's a couple of pics Adam. The second one shows the notches/tabs and hopefully the "Made in Canada" shows up clearly in the first. If you have any further info I'd really appreciate it!
20170624_234056.jpg
20170624_233902.jpg

Here's a couple of pics Adam. The second one shows the notches/tabs and hopefully the "Made in Canada" shows up clearly in the first. If you have any further info I'd really appreciate it!
View attachment 799227 View attachment 799228

Not very common, the corner tabs exclude the use of the old three hole blades just like the other Goodwills, and I think they were only made in Canada. It will shave just like a regular OLD, which is fantastic!

Could not resist, just had to have a Red tip.
Sadly, I lost one in pristine condition in the last minute, but found this one instead. Looks to be in at least good condition, and if I'm not pleased I can always sell it.
Now I have to wait 5 long weeks, they only ship within US, so had it shipped to my sister in law, who will visit us later this summer.

Screenshot_20170625-063732.png

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
View attachment 799227 View attachment 799228
That is super cool. I wish I had more info than the thread you already shared. It definitely looks like a transition piece be teen the Old type and the Goodwill as mentioned. Thanks for posting those!

Kindly,
Adam

Not very common, the corner tabs exclude the use of the old three hole blades just like the other Goodwills, and I think they were only made in Canada. It will shave just like a regular OLD, which is fantastic!
I have one and can confirm it shaves like a regular Old Type thick cap. Mine also came frankenrazored with the fat Tech handle, and I haven't been able to find a cheap Probak handle so far.

Top Bottom