What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Yeah, it makes sense. Despite its hideous look, it's a very nice shaver and it even puts in shame most of my modern and vintage razors, which are built much better. I would have never believed if someone told me that this or similar razors are good shavers. My first shave was so good that I might scratch some of the razors that I have on my wish list and get only the really interesting and cool ones instead. If I find another one of these in NOS condition going on a tempting price, I will grab at least one more (maybe two) for sure.
Those are not the mildest razors. More than half of the Bulgarian men have tough black beards. If the razor was very mild, it wouldn't sell very well back then. And let's not forget that at the time there were only DEs manufactured in Eastern Bloc countries and the yellow BIC disposables.

Those are not the mildest razors. More than half of the Bulgarian men have tough black beards. If the razor was very mild, it wouldn't sell very well back then. And let's not forget that at the time there were only DEs manufactured in Eastern Bloc countries and the yellow BIC disposables.

If someone can make a modern more solid and precise version of this head while in the same time retain its efficiency, smoothness,
gap and angle of shaving, it going to be a great success for those of us who want something very efficient and also smooth at the same time.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
HUSARIA Monocero Closed Comb stainless steel razor

proxy.php

bulldog.jpg

Just ordered this Gillette Bulldog. I wanted an Old Type with a nice and substantial handle, and, I find the Bulldog to be the nicest. The abc pocket editions are nice looking, but, the handles are too thin. No cracks on this one and the the teeth are in decent shape. One bent tooth, but, it is minor. I doubt it will be here in time for an OCtober shave, but, I couldn't pass it up.

Just paid on EBay for 1970 Gillette Slim Twist from England, the exact razor my father had! Sadly my fathers is no longer with us, he passed away in 2003, but I vividly recall his razor; I used to play with it when I was a boy, and he even 'let' me shave myself with an empty razor, pulling off the lather he put on my face with his brush. Wish you were here, daddy! The razor should be arrving around mid December.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
As soon as I tried out my user grade 1940s Gillette Flat Bottom Tech, I wanted a NOS one.

Having taken a while to find a suitable user grade one, I expected finding a NOS one could take forever... but amazingly one turned up!

It was certainly a lot more than 4/11 (or its conversion to today's money which is £9.87):
View attachment 1344470

View attachment 1344477

View attachment 1344478

View attachment 1344479

View attachment 1344481
It's obviously been stored somewhere damp. The box itself seems fine, but the hinge and shaped insert have significant rust so they must be ferrous metals/alloys. Unfortunately the insert has rubbed on all three pieces of the razor. This has damaged the plating, and is through to the brass in one location on the cap... but they're all pretty minor.

I'd hoped to try one of the blades. There was only one of the five (pictured above) where I could read the date code (S3 — 1947 third quarter). The other four were too rusted to be able to see the codes. So no shaves with these blades.

The best part of the box is the internal logo which is pristine (I guess due to having had the price card protecting it all these years):
View attachment 1344482

So there we have it, a 1947 fat handled Gillette Flat Bottom Tech.*

I've just had my first shave with it and am very pleased. :cornut:

* A BIG thank you to Achim (@mr-razor) and our own Wiki for helping me to identify and date this 74 year old baby. :001_cool:

No wonder it's so nice.

How did you date it to 1947?

Happy shaves,

Jim

found these out in the wild, old type thick cap head is in marvelous shape pretty pumped to try the old type on my fancy handles as my other one is the long barrel type. real stoked to try the older schick it's got so much more heft then my krona. I have never used a super speed, it was in great shape and only 8 bones so it came on down with me.
DSCF0176.JPG
DSCF0177.JPG
DSCF0180.JPG

real stoked to try the older schick it's got so much more heft then my krona.
I’ve never seen it mentioned but you’re absolutely right about the difference in weight. The older, pre-Krona razors with the metal knob is 57 grams and the Krona is 38 grams. It’s a pretty significant difference when you try one next to the other. I feel like the heavier one has a slightly better balance, being head-heavy. The TTO mechanism is also smoother. Overall, the older one is the better razor in my opinion.

(Pre) Krona is King!!

(New rule:ymmv)
found these out in the wild, old type thick cap head is in marvelous shape pretty pumped to try the old type on my fancy handles as my other one is the long barrel type. real stoked to try the older schick it's got so much more heft then my krona. I have never used a super speed, it was in great shape and only 8 bones so it came on down with me.View attachment 1351611View attachment 1351612

View attachment 1351617

I bought an old mismatched Gillette set with the typical blade dispenser and found more than a dozen 1905-06 blades inside! A nice surprise. Still looking for one of the earliest blades from 1903-1904 to complete an early set sent out by Gillette in 03-04 to draw attention to the new razor. If anyone can point me to one I would greatly appreciate it.
IMG_2006.jpeg
IMG_2007.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg

never been more excited about getting a razor as I have with this Rockwell 6s, tbh I'm very chuffed to get this razor

looks and feels amazing, really hope it delivers when it comes to shaving

also interested to see if I like or don't like the fact that you have to change plates where I'm normally just to just switching the dial

IMG_20211025_184335.jpg

Just paid on EBay for 1970 Gillette Slim Twist from England, the exact razor my father had! Sadly my fathers is no longer with us, he passed away in 2003, but I vividly recall his razor; I used to play with it when I was a boy, and he even 'let' me shave myself with an empty razor, pulling off the lather he put on my face with his brush. Wish you were here, daddy! The razor should be arrving around mid December.
Photos, or you didn't get anything. :lol:

Top Bottom