What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Gillette Aristocrat M2 (1967)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

A sealed NOS Super Slimtwist. O-4 code - 1994. While here in continental Europe we had it at the time as G1000, in the UK they sold it as a Super Slimtwist. Says "A Gillette Product for Gillette U.K. Ltd., London, England".
This one stays sealed. I have many of them. Even sealed G1000s.

UK super Slimtwist 1994.jpg

20211021_211954.jpg

Mail call.

I have been after one of these for a while.

Rocnel elite medium 2020. In superb condition.

Came with what the seller describes as a prototype aggressive head. This is in addition to the razor. The additional head doesn't have the rocnel logo. Has anyone else heard of this prototype head ?

Attachments

• 20211021_211927.jpg
    20211021_211927.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 20211021_211902.jpg
    20211021_211902.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've been wanting to add a late 40s early 50s Gillette Aristocrat to my collection for a while so I've been keeping my eye out - finally came across one somewhat locally last week with a price/condition that worked for me.

This one is a 1946/1947 - the case is in relatively good shape and the plating is in very nice condition. I've always liked the feel in my hand of the Fat Handled Tech and this Aristocrat feels very similar only with a TTO mechanism. Shaved with it yesterday and it gave a great shave (but then so do most vintage Gillettes for me)

I do realize that the blade bank is a mismatch - maybe some day I'll come across a matching one for the set.

AristocratCase3.jpg

GilletteAristocrat1.jpg

I've been wanting to add a late 40s early 50s Gillette Aristocrat to my collection for a while so I've been keeping my eye out - finally came across one somewhat locally last week with a price/condition that worked for me.

This one is a 1946/1947 - the case is in relatively good shape and the plating is in very nice condition. I've always liked the feel in my hand of the Fat Handled Tech and this Aristocrat feels very similar only with a TTO mechanism. Shaved with it yesterday and it gave a great shave (but then so do most vintage Gillettes for me)

I do realize that the blade bank is a mismatch - maybe some day I'll come across a matching one for the set.
Well done! One of my favorite Gillettes and I have, oh .... about two dozen or so vintage Gillette razors.

Yesterday I bought a razor from a local auction website similar to Ebay, because it's very similar to my grandfather's razor, but the base plate of his razor is slightly bent and I never dared shaving with it, so for a while now I was thinking about getting a mint/NOS model, since they show from time to time and they are mostly fairly inexpensive.

At first I thought that the purchase was a mistake despite the low price and what could possible this razor do that my other razors can't? Since I had to shave today, i've decided to give it a try and see if I can go beyond a couple of strokes and maybe a single pass without throwing it away and grabbing my Pearl Flexi instead.

However, to my surprise I quite enjoyed the first few strokes and decided to keep going and see how it goes and after a while I just couldn't believe how good that razor is. It's one of those razors that combines a good amount of efficiency with incredible smoothness and the results are phenomenal to say the least. I did my usual 4 pass shave without a single cut, nick, weeper or any kind of irritation. The only thing that I don't like is the handle and I used my Maggards MR1 instead.

Despite its primitive head design, the blade is hold very tight and I haven't felt any blade chatter, which I was expecting to feel.
The name of the razor is roughtly translated to - Brothers Labor and according to the price tag, it was made in 1973 and from what I can tell, it looks like a Tech clone using a Old Type style top cap, but it's much more efficient than a regular Tech and also smoother than an Old Type for sure. The last photo is of my grandfather's razor.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Yesterday I bought a razor from a local auction website similar to Ebay, because it's very similar to my grandfather's razor, but the base plate of his razor is slightly bent and I never dared shaving with it, so for a while now I was thinking about getting a mint/NOS model, since they show from time to time and they are mostly fairly inexpensive.

At first I thought that the purchase was a mistake despite the low price and what could possible this razor do that my other razors can't? Since I had to shave today, i've decided to give it a try and see if I can go beyond a couple of strokes and maybe a single pass without throwing it away and grabbing my Pearl Flexi instead.

However, to my surprise I quite enjoyed the first few strokes and decided to keep going and see how it goes and after a while I just couldn't believe how good that razor is. It's one of those razors that combines a good amount of efficiency with incredible smoothness and the results are phenomenal to say the least. I did my usual 4 pass shave without a single cut, nick, weeper or any kind of irritation. The only thing that I don't like is the handle and I used my Maggards MR1 instead.

Despite its primitive head design, the blade is hold very tight and I haven't felt any blade chatter, which I was expecting to feel.
The name of the razor is roughtly translated to - Brothers Labor and according to the price tag, it was made in 1973 and from what I can tell, it looks like a Tech clone using a Old Type style top cap, but it's much more efficient than a regular Tech and also smoother than an Old Type for sure. The last photo is of my grandfather's razor.

View attachment 1350694View attachment 1350695View attachment 1350696View attachment 1350697View attachment 1350698View attachment 1350699View attachment 1350700View attachment 1350701View attachment 1350702
It's a very old Bulgarian razor "Bratski trud" / Братски труд is the name of the plant manufacturing it. They had 5 or 6 different models. Some of them Gillette copies. Like the white handle Slim Twist. Quality was pretty bad, so was longevity, especially after the mid 70s. The razors had on packaging"Warranty 12 months"
:lol:
That 73 on the tag doesn't mean it has been manufactured in 1973, but after 1973. All those letters and numbers are actually the name of the standard describing the product. Means that particular model has been started in 1973.

Last edited:
It's a very old Bulgarian razor "Bratski trud" / Братски труд is the name of the plant manufacturing it. They had 5 or 6 different models. Some of them Gillette copies. Like the white handle Slim Twist. Quality was pretty bad, so was longevity, especially after the mid 70s. The razors had on packaging"Warranty 12 months"
:lol:
That 73 on the tag doesn't mean it has been manufactured in 1973, but after 1973. All those letters and numbers are actually the name of the standard describing the product. Means that particular model has been started in 1973.

Yeah, it makes sense. Despite its hideous look, it's a very nice shaver and it even puts in shame most of my modern and vintage razors, which are built much better. I would have never believed if someone told me that this or similar razors are good shavers. My first shave was so good that I might scratch some of the razors that I have on my wish list and get only the really interesting and cool ones instead. If I find another one of these in NOS condition going on a tempting price, I will grab at least one more (maybe two) for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom