What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
DSCosmetic XT 316L with "Ladder" handle
I will tell you about it in hopefully ~14 days - I can't help, but it looks very similar to one of my favorite slants!
DSC-XTSlant.jpg

I've only been hooked on safety razors since July. My wife doesn't seem to mind because now I am interested in checking out vintage shops.

She brought me home this today:
IMG_20211026_141209.jpg
IMG_20211026_141349.jpg

I just need to sterilize it and give it a polish!

I wonder how long this will last, my wife finding vintage razors for me! Lol.

I've only been hooked on safety razors since July. My wife doesn't seem to mind because now I am interested in checking out vintage shops.

She brought me home this today:View attachment 1352800View attachment 1352801

Nice prewar tech. Pair with a GSB. Hopefully if she doesn’t think your vintage razor habit is out of control it should last awhile

She brought me home this today:View attachment 1352800View attachment 1352801

Nice wife. Wife and I shopped antiques together as well until I realized that it only took me a few minutes to find any razors but it took her hours to look at everything else in the shop.

9A32476F-3C41-4666-B438-5AA5BCEAC895.jpeg
4A22AFD3-A9FC-4B95-9504-255B3A8ADFB9.jpeg
Today I purchased a Parker 99r, in situ, at a store, not online. It was by accident, I was going to buy a shaving soap, and then I saw on display the safety razors for sale. And I recognized immediately the Parker 99r, which in Israel is branded as ‘Pearl’. But no doubt, it’s the Parker 99r. The seller also gave me package of 10 razor blades from India, Wily’s Premuim.
The razor comes with a pack of 7 blades of The Gentleman Super Platinum and a polishing cloth with the brand name Pearl.

IMG_20211028_123628.jpg

Gillette Old Type Bulldog. I'll be shaving with it shortly. Much nicer than the ball end Old Type with the gimpy handle, I had years ago. One slightly bent tooth. The silver plating seems pretty good, but, there are some spots on the top cap. Not sure if they will polish out or not. I may send this to Back Roads Gold at some point for a once over and maybe replating.

View attachment 1353790
Gillette Old Type Bulldog. I'll be shaving with it shortly. Much nicer than the ball end Old Type with the gimpy handle, I had years ago. One slightly bent tooth. The silver plating seems pretty good, but, there are some spots on the top cap. Not sure if they will polish out or not. I may send this to Back Roads Gold at some point for a once over and maybe replating.
Replate? Oh noes!!! Cleaning, light polish, etc., all ok. Just my opinion though. Some are ok with replating vintage razors but I shudder at the thought.

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
How is the balance of the razor? Would expect that the balance is more towards the head.. Nice combo indeed and the prices right now at the website are very attractive.
Just ordered this one, but I wouldn't expect that the weight difference between the copper and amuminum plates would have a major affect on the ballance. We'll see.

Pearl Blaze - New CNC milled full brass razor in town from Pearl Shaving.

My copy arrived yesterday and had a first shave today. I can say this will be loved by shavers while a neutral blade feel and a good hefty razor. It's easily an even day razor.

It's a cool copy of the Edwin Jagger head so anyone fond of that head will love the Blaze razor. It's a notch more aggresisve than the EJ head, it's medium aggressive in my book.

The blade tabs are totally covered. The blade is held accurately without any play by the straight blade holders on the head. There will be no.need to fiddle or manipulate blade alignment in this razor unlike the Pearl / Parker Zamak heads.

The razor came in a premium packing complete with a cleaning cloth, a product detail and a thank you card. A set of washers is included too. Thr underside has Pearl , Blaze and a serial number along with a "Made in India" stamp or laser etching

The razor is head heavy and very well balanced at the vertical notches in the handle near the neck.

The handle is a piece of art with it's shape and diamond like milled design. Feels futuristic and stylish at 98mm. The satin finish completes the premium look. The handle is not slippery neither is does it feel sharp pointy while holding due to the satin coating perhaps.

20211028_144523.jpg
20211028_144613.jpg
20211028_144651.jpg
20211028_145338.jpg
20211028_144431.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom