What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

Just ordered it last night from eBay. These are the listing pictures. Interested to hear how rare these are, as I haven’t seen much talk about vintage feather razors
I just hope you didn't get ripped off on this one. Although that Portable is indeed from 40-ish years ago, it is not that rare. The Portable has been widely available until 10 years ago [for as little as $7-9] as a new razor but in another white plastic case and without that FEATHER inscription on the head.
P. S. I just noticed your is the one with the white case, not the blue, so the only difference with the ones I have is the inscription.

Last edited:
I have seen a few online, only regret is that I was trying to talk to someone on Etsy with a nice set, like case and gold blade box and all. He responded a little late after I purchased the one off eBay. Could have gotten it for the same price, one from the 60’s that’s a pat no. And all. Wondering if I should try to cancel the eBay one and buy the set instead? For literally same price. Although I do like that FEATHER inscription on the head a lot on the eBay one, the Etsy one is doesn’t have that, it’s your version

I have seen a few online, only regret is that I was trying to talk to someone on Etsy with a nice set, like case and gold blade box and all. He responded a little late after I purchased the one off eBay. Could have gotten it for the same price, one from the 60’s that’s a pat no. And all. Wondering if I should try to cancel the eBay one and buy the set instead? For literally same price. Although I do like that FEATHER inscription on the head a lot on the eBay one, the Etsy one is doesn’t have that, it’s your version
Wouldn't bother with the Portable. The shave isn't something spectacular, neither is the razor. It is just a copy of a Gillette Tech. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice razor, but still, the prices they are currently asking on ebay are ridiculous even if it is NOS from the 70s. I grabbed 3 back in 2008 or 2009 when they were available and dirt cheap, but I find that I reach for my many Techs more often.
Here I found a picture someone posted on the forum Image:Feather portable safety razor 08.jpg - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Image:Feather_portable_safety_razor_08_jpg

Then what’s a great vintage shaver that you guys would reccomend? (Without breaking the bank lol)
If you feel comfortable with a R41 then I would look for a nice Tech and an Old Type. On the Techs I would avoid the later aluminium handled ones. For the Old Type don‘t worry about slight cracks in the handle they are common and there are aftermarket handles. Always nice to get a case but for a user not absolutely necessary.

If you feel comfortable with a R41 then I would look for a nice Tech and an Old Type. On the Techs I would avoid the later aluminium handled ones. For the Old Type don‘t worry about slight cracks in the handle they are common and there are aftermarket handles. Always nice to get a case but for a user not absolutely necessary.
I did have my eye on a few old types, another one I’m curious about is how the new standards. Do those perform well? Or just nice show pieces (especially gold ones)

Gillette 1917 Old Type on the way from eBay, gonna be neat to shave with a razor over 100 years old!

Attachments

• 873A098A-A0C2-4314-9443-9741D1753890.png
    873A098A-A0C2-4314-9443-9741D1753890.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • BEB0F272-3313-4DCF-B147-582BEDE007CF.png
    BEB0F272-3313-4DCF-B147-582BEDE007CF.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 41
  • 9EE9C45E-F892-4FE1-9964-A8313226956C.png
    9EE9C45E-F892-4FE1-9964-A8313226956C.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 43151DF1-B8A2-4158-99C1-89C8BE86F031.png
    43151DF1-B8A2-4158-99C1-89C8BE86F031.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • D68F2ADF-322E-4963-A4B1-F308D4E9978C.png
    D68F2ADF-322E-4963-A4B1-F308D4E9978C.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
Gillette 1917 Old Type on the way from eBay, gonna be neat to shave with a razor over 100 years old!
If you do not like the way it shaves, put a shim in and give it another go. My old types went from use once and put away (no shim) to a spot in my favorites (with a shim)

Great tip thank you! What did you use for the shim in them?
A used double edge blade with the sharp edges trimmed off with scissors. It is a common practice if you want to read up on it some. For me the shim goes under the blade (between blade and comb. On the "handle" side not the "cap" side) to get the blade up off the comb a bit. Did not seem to make the razor any more likely to bite, but made it much more efficient. I think people use them as is and I would try that first as if more parts are not needed, well all the better. I just did not want you to be disappointed with it and not know to try the shim.

I have been told the blades of those days were thicker than our blades today and the shim takes it back closer to its original "specs" so to speak.

I see, thank you for the advice. Looking forward to this piece, and I’ve seen many posts that regard it as a good shaver.
I have 2 of them. 1 in original case with blade holder and what not passed down from a great uncle. It is just show and tell. I have another that I found for little of nothing at a flea market that I use more than any of my other DE (which is not often as I am mostly a SR shaver). I enjoy it when I use it. The shave is good. The history makes it more appealing to me. And it was CHEAP! Just like me haha

i didn’t get mine for a steal or anything, but $70 for such a pristine single ring, I feel it’s not too bad of a price in comparison to others. I contemplated getting one for 42 but it was way too rusted out, not sure how well even sending it off to be cleaned would have done for it. Plus the added cost of that made it much more expensive of an option with extra work.

Now I have to decide when I’ll start using it, seeing as I’m quite comfortable with my r41 lately. Feel like it wouldn’t be wise to switch razors too much since I’m new to it all

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
If you do not like the way it shaves, put a shim in and give it another go. My old types went from use once and put away (no shim) to a spot in my favorites (with a shim)
I use a vintage shim shown below which is 0.7mm thick compared to a standard modern blade which is 0.1mm thick. They certainly liked a large blade gap when they added a shim in the old days. 👍

forum-1.jpg

Top Bottom